More Annoying: Bandwagon Fans vs Someone who roots for a team based on Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:43:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  More Annoying: Bandwagon Fans vs Someone who roots for a team based on Politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which Annoys you more
Bandwagon Fans

Someone who roots for a team based on Politics

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: More Annoying: Bandwagon Fans vs Someone who roots for a team based on Politics  (Read 955 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2019, 03:12:22 AM »

Both of these annoy me a lot but I would say bandwagon fans from my experience on them from  sports forums.

IMO someone who roots for a team based on politics are just taking away from their own enjoyment out of sports while the bandwagoners are typically ignorant of their "favorite teams" history before they became great , gloat non stop as they only tend to root for contenders  , tend to make outlandish predictions, constantly bring down the quality of sports discussions on these forums to an extremely low level .

Also as a diehard Blazers fan these teams they root for also tend to be teams I despise the most(Lakers from 2008-2013, Heat from 2010-2014 and Warriors from 2016-Present)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 08:28:05 AM »

I can see how your politics would affect which football club you supported in Europe (for example Celtic v Rangers in Scotland, or Barcelona v not Barcelona in Spain), but how would your politics affect who you support in American sports? Don't all cities bar NY and LA basically only have one franchise in each sport? If so it seems to me the team you support would simply be determined by location (especially given US sports leagues are way more competitive than most European sports leagues so people don't have to pick between one of the bigger teams).
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »

A lot of us cheer for the Patriots because Tom Brady has a MAGA hat.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »

At anyrate to answer this question, I'd say a bandwagon fan. At least pulling for a team for political reasons is still some form of real "link" between the fan and the club, while bandwagoning just means the fan pulls for whoever's winning at the moment.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 09:30:52 AM »

I can't imagine ever meeting someone in real life that roots for a team for political reasons.

default to bandwagoners being more annoying
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:53 AM »

Politics, because if you root for a team based on politics, you have no idea about sports

Bandwagoners are just disgruntled fans, upset by the failures of their hometown teams
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »

A lot of us cheer for the Patriots because Tom Brady has a MAGA hat.

And the fact that they win all the time

So you guys meet both options in this poll
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 11:17:50 AM »

Nothing is worse than bandwagon fans, and - as stated above - cheering for certain European soccer clubs based on politics actually SOMEWHAT makes sense (unlike claiming to do the same in the United States).
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 10:07:20 PM »

I can't imagine very many examples of the latter in the US other than Trumpers liking the Patriots bc of Brady, and those fans may as well be bandwagoners. Latter is worse in theory, but bandwagoners are more annoying.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 11:37:02 AM »

I can see how your politics would affect which football club you supported in Europe (for example Celtic v Rangers in Scotland, or Barcelona v not Barcelona in Spain), but how would your politics affect who you support in American sports? Don't all cities bar NY and LA basically only have one franchise in each sport? If so it seems to me the team you support would simply be determined by location (especially given US sports leagues are way more competitive than most European sports leagues so people don't have to pick between one of the bigger teams).
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 01:31:08 PM »

I will always have my primary team in a sport and will root for them against anybody else.  But, I can't get into a game if I don't care who wins, so I tend to hop on and off secondary bandwagons.  In any given sport, I usually like a couple of the top teams and don't like a couple other of the top teams, and those teams may not be consistent within eras (for instance, my not liking the current Warriors wouldn't mean that I couldn't pull for a version of the Warriors in 20 years).  But, my actual team I am a die-hard fan of is something I keep constant.

I do tend to root for other teams in the South in postseasons if I don't otherwise have a rooting interest.  That could be framed as political, but I view it more as cultural similarity.  This is especially true in college sports, where I will root for any SEC team over any non-SEC team (with a couple exceptions, such as Kentucky basketball), but it applies to pro sports to a lesser degree and is one of the later considerations of who I will root for.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 02:05:44 PM »

I will always have my primary team in a sport and will root for them against anybody else.  But, I can't get into a game if I don't care who wins, so I tend to hop on and off secondary bandwagons.  In any given sport, I usually like a couple of the top teams and don't like a couple other of the top teams, and those teams may not be consistent within eras (for instance, my not liking the current Warriors wouldn't mean that I couldn't pull for a version of the Warriors in 20 years).  But, my actual team I am a die-hard fan of is something I keep constant.

Yeah, I see what you mean. My only "die hard" loyalties are in European sports (Go PSG (my soccer club) and go Stade Français! (my rugby club)), so in the US I don't really have "a team" (except for LSU in college sports, but I don't follow college sports much), but in the pro sports there are teams I like and teams I don't like and I'll generally have somebody to pull for, and my team choice is generally due to either personal links to a place or due to finding a place attractive. If I move to the US I'll surely end up pulling for the local teams in the area I move to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies