Census 2020 Citizenship Question looking to be upheld
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:52:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Census 2020 Citizenship Question looking to be upheld
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Census 2020 Citizenship Question looking to be upheld  (Read 3328 times)
Yang2020
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -2.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »

Absolutely disgusting and undemocratic. I would link the NYT article but I haven't reached 20 posts yet.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 03:14:11 PM »

It's deference to the executive branch that seems to be what the majority is looking at. Both Gorsuch & Kavanaugh treated citizenship inquiries as unremarkable in their questions during the oral arguments.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 12:00:31 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2019, 02:01:39 PM by R.P. McM »

Absolutely disgusting and undemocratic.

Whether John Roberts realizes it or not, his historical reputation will be that of a modern day Roger Taney. We need to accept that Republicans don't actually care about democracy — it's WHITE POWER! all the way down. The Court is now illegitimate, and I shudder to think what sort of nastiness will be required to pry power from these unprincipled bigots.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 08:36:43 AM »

It's deference to the executive branch that seems to be what the majority is looking at. Both Gorsuch & Kavanaugh treated citizenship inquiries as unremarkable in their questions during the oral arguments.

This. Frankly I tend to agree. I've never thought it was a good argument here or in the immigration case to make the argument that "well yes any other President could do this but Trump is uniquely so bad that otherwise legitimate presidential powers can never, ever, ever be exercised by him but only by him because him am bad!"

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »

Absolutely disgusting and undemocratic. I would link the NYT article but I haven't reached 20 posts yet.

It's remarkable how many methods of stretching the concept of "democracy" are yet undiscovered.
R.P. McM

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 05:25:21 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2019, 05:33:16 AM by R.P. McM »

It's remarkable how many methods of stretching the concept of "democracy" are yet undiscovered.

I think a government that earned 3 million fewer votes than the opposition conspiring with its illegitimate Supreme Court majority in an effort to rig the census and create a deliberate undercount would qualify as undemocratic.  
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »

This. Frankly I tend to agree. I've never thought it was a good argument here or in the immigration case to make the argument that "well yes any other President could do this but Trump is uniquely so bad that otherwise legitimate presidential powers can never, ever, ever be exercised by him but only by him because him am bad!"

To add to this, I did some research into the prior use of the citizenship question on the long form used through 2000. The question went to 1 out of 6 household so the statistics are highly relevant. There was a drop off in participation across all groups for the long form which isn't surprising given the time the long form took to complete. There was also a drop off in participation by minorities and immigrants on both forms which is independent of the citizenship question. I could not find that there was a steeper drop off by immigrants than what would be expected by the combined statistics of the two separate factors of long form and lower immigrant response on all forms.

It is especially interesting to look at CA comparing the 1990 response rate to that of 2000. Prop 187 (1994) denied services to illegal immigrants and might have been expected to further undermine counts in that state. However Gov Davis invested state funds to spend on city census committees and the result was an increase in minority and immigrant participation in 2000 compared to 1990 despite the onus of Prop 187.

The CA experience in 2000 suggests that reduced response rates by immigrants and minorities can be more than overcome through state and city investment in Census Complete Count efforts. Another way of saying it is that a public education campaign has more positive impact than the negative impact of a citizenship question.
R.P. McM

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 10:11:49 PM »

To add to this, I did some research into the prior use of the citizenship question on the long form used through 2000. The question went to 1 out of 6 household so the statistics are highly relevant. There was a drop off in participation across all groups for the long form which isn't surprising given the time the long form took to complete. There was also a drop off in participation by minorities and immigrants on both forms which is independent of the citizenship question. I could not find that there was a steeper drop off by immigrants than what would be expected by the combined statistics of the two separate factors of long form and lower immigrant response on all forms.

It is especially interesting to look at CA comparing the 1990 response rate to that of 2000. Prop 187 (1994) denied services to illegal immigrants and might have been expected to further undermine counts in that state. However Gov Davis invested state funds to spend on city census committees and the result was an increase in minority and immigrant participation in 2000 compared to 1990 despite the onus of Prop 187.

The CA experience in 2000 suggests that reduced response rates by immigrants and minorities can be more than overcome through state and city investment in Census Complete Count efforts. Another way of saying it is that a public education campaign has more positive impact than the negative impact of a citizenship question.

All well and good, except that the intent is inherently corrupt. No one is honestly expecting to accurately gauge the number of undocumented immigrants via voluntary responses. So what's the purpose? To produce a deliberate under-count that benefits the GOP politically.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 10:51:50 PM »

All well and good, except that the intent is inherently corrupt. No one is honestly expecting to accurately gauge the number of undocumented immigrants via voluntary responses. So what's the purpose? To produce a deliberate under-count that benefits the GOP politically.

in 2009 and 2010 I went to a number of redistricting conferences in advance of the Census data release. At more than one of those meetings I listened to lawyers who typically worked with Dems talk with regret about the lack of a citizenship question in 2010. In 2007 SCOTUS ruled that CVAP data was the appropriate set to use in VRA cases but it was only in the ACS data after 2005 and didn't align with the Census data. The result was that there was going to be less accuracy and therefore a more difficult time winning VRA cases.

The current intent may not be based on protecting minority rights under the VRA, but having that data will benefit those making legal challenges. And as I pointed out the data shows that a state can overcome the negative stigma of the question if they want to make the effort.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 07:42:18 AM »

The idea that it's unacceptable for a country conducting a census to ask whether respondents to that census are citizens of the country in question deserves more scrutiny than it's getting from most Democratic-aligned groups.

It's almost enough to make me wonder whether the intent here is not so much genuine concern as a desire to preemptively cast doubt on the legitimacy of the 2020 Census. I recall politicians in NYC getting a great deal of political mileage out of complaining when the previous census showed surprisingly unimpressive population growth throughout the city.

The issue is the accuracy of the count, and the fact that statisticians have shown real concerns that the question may materially harm the count's accuracy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »

The idea that it's unacceptable for a country conducting a census to ask whether respondents to that census are citizens of the country in question deserves more scrutiny than it's getting from most Democratic-aligned groups.

It's almost enough to make me wonder whether the intent here is not so much genuine concern as a desire to preemptively cast doubt on the legitimacy of the 2020 Census. I recall politicians in NYC getting a great deal of political mileage out of complaining when the previous census showed surprisingly unimpressive population growth throughout the city.

Pretty much, yeah.
R.P. McM

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 01:25:26 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2019, 01:41:17 AM by R.P. McM »

in 2009 and 2010 I went to a number of redistricting conferences in advance of the Census data release. At more than one of those meetings I listened to lawyers who typically worked with Dems talk with regret about the lack of a citizenship question in 2010. In 2007 SCOTUS ruled that CVAP data was the appropriate set to use in VRA cases but it was only in the ACS data after 2005 and didn't align with the Census data. The result was that there was going to be less accuracy and therefore a more difficult time winning VRA cases.

The current intent may not be based on protecting minority rights under the VRA, but having that data will benefit those making legal challenges. And as I pointed out the data shows that a state can overcome the negative stigma of the question if they want to make the effort.

Yeah, I guess I just don't believe that R-SCOTUS actually gives a sh!+ about the VRA — see Shelby v. Holder. The overarching goal should be an accurate census, and any question that significantly diminishes that outcome should be discarded. But again, the GOP intent is purely corrupt.
R.P. McM

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 01:36:10 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2019, 02:12:37 AM by R.P. McM »

The issue is the accuracy of the count, and the fact that statisticians have shown real concerns that the question may materially harm the count's accuracy.

There's a glut of commentary to that effect, but not much more than that.

The quick experiment that Muon describes in this thread is more evidence than I've seen mentioned by any major media outlet on the subject. Most articles don't even mention the sampling problems that the ACS suffers from when they discuss how the Census Bureau collects this data now.

There is strong evidence that it's more difficult to enumerate non-citizens, but there is nothing to tie their response rates to the citizenship question.

I see lots of red-herrings, very little evidence. Either the citizenship question is likely to produce an under-count, or it's not. If it is, what's the purpose? Problem is, the point of the census is to establish an accurate count. It's absolutely absurd to think that a voluntary citizenship question will be answered accurately by undocumented immigrants, so the motive is quite transparent. I mean, we all know this is rat-f***kery, so you won't object when a future Democratic president attempts to reduce the response rate of white trash? As long as there's a pretext, right? Sample Q: How may times have you drank to excess or used meth this month, you bloated, racist piece of sh!+?
R.P. McM

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 01:20:58 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2019, 01:46:07 AM by R.P. McM »

There's a glut of commentary to that effect, but not much more than that.

The quick experiment that Muon describes in this thread is more evidence than I've seen mentioned by any major media outlet on the subject. Most articles don't even mention the sampling problems that the ACS suffers from when they discuss how the Census Bureau collects this data now.

There is strong evidence that it's more difficult to enumerate non-citizens, but there is nothing to tie their response rates to the citizenship question.

I see lots of red-herrings, very little evidence. Either the citizenship question is likely to produce an under-count, or it's not. If it is, what's the purpose? Problem is, the point of the census is to establish an accurate count. It's absolutely absurd to think that a voluntary citizenship question will be answered accurately by undocumented immigrants, so the motive is quite transparent. I mean, we all know this is rat-f***kery, so you won't object when a future Democratic president attempts to reduce the response rate of white trash? As long as there's a pretext, right? Sample Q: How may times have you drank to excess or used meth this month, you 9bloated, racist piece of sh!+?

The question holds enough relevance that it is included on the American Community Survey

Not relevant. ACS isn't the census.

and has been included on some past censuses.

Equally irrelevant — the possibility of an undercount due to a citizenship question wasn't nearly as pronounced in 1950. But you know this.

To contend that federal interest in the subject is bizarre or necessarily malignant simply isn't credible.

"Interest." So defend the notion that the proposed question is a reliable means of garnering said information. You can't. Neither can Wilbur Ross.

If the purpose of the decennial census were only to establish a population count, then even the short-form survey goes well beyond that in its scope.

The primary, constitutional purpose of the census is to establish an accurate population count. Anything frustrating that aim ought to be eliminated.  

There's no real indication that a citizenship question would produce any more of an undercount than already occurs with migrants, black men, indigenous peoples, and several other groups (and that the Bureau goes to great lengths to address).

Well, if that's the case, I guess we should exacerbate the dynamic! So stupid. Who says a citizenship question will produce a significant undercount? Why, the chief statistical scientist at the Census Bureau:

https://www.prb.org/citizenship-question-risks-a-2020-census-undercount-in-every-state-especially-among-children/

Synonymous with "no real indication," I suppose.  

Ongoing partisan campaigns to de-legitimize the Census, led by both Democratic demagogues like Stacey Abrams and Republican demagogues like Donald Trump, are more concerning.

Wilbur Ross keeps lying for a reason. Basically, Republicans are attempting to weaponize the census. I reject the approach, but you seem to have no qualms whatsoever. (When did you shed your blue avatar?) Yeah, I can see where this is headed — a Democratic administration asking extremely intrusive, Orwellian questions about gun ownership. I'm sure you'll object, but the pretext is sound, so your whining will fall on deaf ears.  

Your bigoted comments about "white trash" speak for themselves. It's unfortunate that the Democratic Party has become such a comfortable home for prejudice. It's enough to make you wonder how they might talk about the next group that turns against them in large numbers.

Hahahaha! WWC: stabbing Democrats in the back since the mid-1960's. For completely non-racist reasons /s. Sure, Jan. Yeah, these folks are contemptible, and I'm done being nice.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 09:49:09 AM »

Have any of the defenders of the citizenship question in this thread offered an explanation for why Wilbur Ross felt the need to obfuscate about why he wanted to add the question and to concoct a transparently false attempt to launder the request through another agency? Doesn’t that evidence provide strong support for the viewpoint that this is not being done in anything approaching good faith?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 06:51:47 PM »

This is going to doom the Democrats.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 06:18:39 AM »

This is going to doom the Democrats.

I highly doubt it.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 06:52:25 PM »

What makes you say that?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 08:22:47 AM »

We're talking what ... 2, 3 house seats at most all preventable with an information campaign to answer the census.
Epaminondas

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2019, 01:10:54 PM by Epaminondas »

Turns out SCOTUS nixed the Census question.

Possibly an attempt to help swallow their rubberstamping of criminal antidemocratic gerrymandering.

Conservative SC once again flushing democracy down the drain. The day Democrats get their hands on the Senate again, I dearly hope there will be no more Mr Nice Guy like under Obama.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 04:18:04 PM »

Turns out SCOTUS nixed the Census question.

Possibly an attempt to help swallow their rubberstamping of criminal antidemocratic gerrymandering.

Conservative SC once again flushing democracy down the drain. The day Democrats get their hands on the Senate again, I dearly hope there will be no more Mr Nice Guy like under Obama.

Do you have more information about how the Court ruled on the census question? If the Court "nixed" the citizenship question from the census, then the Court ruled against the Trump administration, yes? How was the Court divided? And if the ruling on citizenship in some way counterbalances the ruling about gerrymandering, as your second statement suggests, then I assume that your third and last statement is directed at the gerrymandering ruling only, and you're not lumping the two decisions together as both "flushing democracy down the drain."
Epaminondas

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 08:38:26 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2019, 08:48:18 AM by Epaminondas »

Do you have more information about how the Court ruled on the census question? If the Court "nixed" the citizenship question from the census, then the Court ruled against the Trump administration, yes? How was the Court divided? And if the ruling on citizenship in some way counterbalances the ruling about gerrymandering, as your second statement suggests, then I assume that your third and last statement is directed at the gerrymandering ruling only, and you're not lumping the two decisions together as both "flushing democracy down the drain."
5-4 in both cases, Roberts sided with liberal Justices for the Census question.

The details are out there. Essentially Roberts thinks Trump government lied about the reasons for this change, so the Court awaits a better reasoning for a possible future ruling next year.

And of course only the gerrymandering decision merits excoriating.

It's remarkable that the this ruling is so appalling even the Conservative press (RedState, Breitbart, American Greatness, Fox), usually so responsive to anything that "makes libs cry", is too ashamed to focus on it!
SleepyHenry
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -4.24

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 06:27:24 PM »

I'm a little confused on the gerrymandering decision. Does this effectively cancel the rulings made regarding the gerrymandered districts in OH and MI? Does this effect the redrawn districts in PA and NC? Thanks.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 08:00:57 PM »

I'm a little confused on the gerrymandering decision. Does this effectively cancel the rulings made regarding the gerrymandered districts in OH and MI? Does this effect the redrawn districts in PA and NC? Thanks.

Yes, ends it for OH, MI and WI. The redraw in PA was done in the state courts, so it's fine. The FL, NC, and VA redraw was due to racial gerrymandering, which is still illegal.

State courts, legislatures, and initiatives will become the new battlefields against gerrymandering.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies