Poland: anti-semitic Piņata-style beating of Judas-figure by kids causes outcry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:33:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Poland: anti-semitic Piņata-style beating of Judas-figure by kids causes outcry
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poland: anti-semitic Piņata-style beating of Judas-figure by kids causes outcry  (Read 487 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2019, 02:36:46 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/04/23/children-beat-effigy-judas-poland-amid-persistence-medieval-anti-semitism
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 03:10:22 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2019, 04:00:55 PM by PSOL »

Well obviously if we go by the logic of preserving a black skinned, knappy haired Pete and/or Krampus, this cultural activity is a century-long institution for the local culture. There is not one trace of antisemitism, and anyone who disagrees is a cultural Marxist Libtard who hates all things holy due to them being fifth columnist who will stop at nothing to bring out a Muslim Europe filled with miscegenation. This by no means has anything to do with recent geopolitical and socioeconomic changes, no siree.

/s, because several posters will say this on this forum.

On other matters, this post belongs more appropriately on the Polish Discussion Board already in existence.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 05:09:46 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2019, 05:13:06 PM by Keyboard Jacobinism »

Modern antisemitism in Poland has nothing to do with "persistent medieval antisemitism", given old Poland's record of tolerance. The modern antisemitism has been heavily influenced by the Russian rule during the partitions.

I had no clue this "custom" even existed, as most of the people, since everybody's kind of like "wtf? Is this really a thing?" I'm pretty surprised no one noticed that before.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 05:15:24 PM »

After some quick research it seems the custom itself is pretty innocent and without antisemitic connotations in the past. This is a photo of "Judas" from 2010"

Of course, some morons decided to take it to a whole new level, further damaging the whole country's already more negative image abroad.

On other matters, this post belongs more appropriately on the Polish Discussion Board already in existence.

It's already notorious enough on its own to leave this thread be.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »

^^Then just update the thread with a new title that acknowledges it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 06:14:31 PM »

Do you have a suggestion? Tongue I'm kind of intelectually dormant at the moment.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 06:37:21 PM »

Do you have a suggestion? Tongue I'm kind of intelectually dormant at the moment.
(PD/PGD) Update: anti-semitic Piņata-style beating of Judas-figure by kids causes outcry
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 06:45:25 PM »

(PD/PGD) Update: anti-semitic Piņata-style beating of Judas-figure by kids causes outcry

I'm not moving it.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 08:47:34 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2019, 08:56:26 AM by DavidB. »

After some quick research it seems the custom itself is pretty innocent and without antisemitic connotations in the past. This is a photo of "Judas" from 2010"
Maybe in the recent past, but this picture from the same village shows that it undoubtedly had an antisemitic connotation in the, err, slightly more distant past:

The international outcry will obviously have the adverse effect, and the same probably goes for the well-intended condemnations by Polish #FBPE types (especially when it includes tropes such as "those dumb PiS hicks in the east"; never helpful). On Twitter I saw a lot of nationalists defend the tradition, but also a huge number of people from Poland opposing it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 09:02:53 AM »

Maybe in the recent past, but this picture from the same village shows that it undoubtedly had an antisemitic connotation in the, err, slightly more distant past:

The international outcry will obviously have the adverse effect, and the same probably goes for the well-intended condemnations by Polish #FBPE types (especially when it includes tropes such as "those dumb PiS hicks in the east"; never helpful). On Twitter I saw a lot of nationalists defend the tradition, but also a huge number of people from Poland opposing it.

I wouldn't surprised if such things were prevalent in the 20s and 30s. That particular photo being from 1941, given the historical context, is pretty disturbing, especially that armband. WTF?

For what it's worth, I haven't seen anybody defending it, aside of some social media idiots. At least nobody of some standing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies