US Imperialism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:01:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  US Imperialism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the USA an imperial power? Is that a good thing?
Yes/Good

Yes/Bad

No/Good

No/Bad

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: US Imperialism?  (Read 4745 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« on: November 17, 2005, 02:41:08 PM »

In no way is this a post meant to enrage you crazy yanks, it is based on a book I have just bought and will be reading soon by a British Historian named Niall Ferguson. The book is called Colossus: The Rise and Fall of the American Empire. Ferguson has always argued that all history is "the history of empire" and believe that the world is currently in the stage of an American Empire, despite what successive Presidents have said.

Far from deploring an American Empire, Ferguson believes that the sooner the US recognises its presence as an imperial power, the sooner it can benefit the world, however, he believes that the inception of the United States in a revolution to escape an imperial power, means that the USA has yet to proclaim itself as an Imperial power.

So, do you think the USA is an Imperial Power? If so, is that a good thing and if not, would it be good for it to be as such?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 03:00:55 PM »

For information about Niall Ferguson see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_Ferguson - I am sure that he is someone most of the right wingers on this forum could get along with Wink.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 04:39:01 PM »

a book I have just bought and will be reading soon

Yankees normally write book reviews after reading a book, rather than before.  Perhaps the custom is a little different in your country.

I recommend "American Empire" by Andrew Bacevich, a history professor at my old alma mater, Boston University.  Bacevich makes many of the same observations that Fergusson does (or that you think he does, remarkably, without having read his book.)  When you have completed Bacevich's book, I'll recommend other excellent books on the topic of US imperialism.

I didn't vote, but if there were a "Of Course / Neither bad nor good" option I would vote.

I wasn't attempting to write a book review, (they tend to be a lot more focused on ideas and analysing the book itself rather than just a synopsis of the work) just a summary based on the words of the man himself - he produced a television series to accompany his book which was screened in Britain last year. I have watched that in my history classes and thus do have some knowledge of the basic principles of his work, though obviously not the intricacies which will come with reading the book.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 11:49:44 AM »

Yes/Bad

All imperalism is bad. Period, end of story.

Do you honestly believe it is that simple? Empires may have downsides for humanity, but do you honestly believe they do nothing good for the world ever?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies