US Imperialism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:56:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  US Imperialism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the USA an imperial power? Is that a good thing?
Yes/Good

Yes/Bad

No/Good

No/Bad

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: US Imperialism?  (Read 4744 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: July 03, 2012, 11:19:01 AM »
« edited: July 03, 2012, 11:32:23 AM by Simfan34 »

I've read Ferguson, and I like him.

Frankly, I feel as if I benefit from living in the world's hegemon, and I believe that I, and the average American, would be worse off if we were to lose that status. So I think it has been a good thing, economically, politically, and militarily.

Culturally, it's a different story. Perhaps it's because the US lacks any sort of high culture or really a kind of native culture, Americanization has been the worst thing to happen to the world, and I say this without hyperbole, in the past 150 years. The wholesale standardization of societies and decimation of traditional cultures is just... indescribably terrible. When I see it happen to my own culture it makes my blood boil. I mean, the whole idea of substantive, and meaningful differences between peoples is quaint nowadays, because we're all the same, fed the rubbish that comes out of this country. Coca-Cola was cute as something similar everywhere. But this is different. It's just... disgusting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies