Could a city like Lloydminster exist in the US?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:46:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Could a city like Lloydminster exist in the US?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could a city like Lloydminster exist in the US?  (Read 530 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2019, 03:39:58 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloydminster

Lloydminster is a city split between Alberta and Saskatchewan. What makes it unlike US cities like Kansas City and Texarkana is it's a single incorporated city with a single municipal government. US examples of this are just two cities with the same name that happen to border each other.

Are there any legal or constitutional hurdles to a city existing in two states with one government on the US?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 05:17:47 PM »

I don't know, but we do often see this on the county level.  I was in Hoover, Alabama last weekend for the SEC Baseball Tournament, and I noticed that the stadium was in Jefferson County, but my hotel was in Shelby County.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »

I suppose its theoretically possible through an interstate compact of the 2 States approved by act of Congress. It would be easier for 1 State to just adjust its boundary around the City.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »

Bristol, TN/VA would be the likeliest possibility I can think of. State Street in the downtown is literally split down the middle with one side of the street in Virginia while the other side of the double yellow line in Tennessee.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 08:13:58 PM »

Bristol, TN/VA would be the likeliest possibility I can think of. State Street in the downtown is literally split down the middle with one side of the street in Virginia while the other side of the double yellow line in Tennessee.
Would it be legal to make that one city instead of two with the same name though?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 09:15:57 AM »

Would it be legal to make that one city instead of two with the same name though?

No
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 09:45:09 AM »

No

It would probably require an interstate compact approved by Congress, but the Constitutional problems would no worse than those faced by the Port Authority of NY & NJ established by such a compact in 1921.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies