Making the AG more independent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:51:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Making the AG more independent
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Making the AG more independent  (Read 1630 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2019, 08:38:05 AM »

Since William Barr has become a complete lapdog for Trump, should the position of AG become more independent from the prez? If so, what would be your suggestions? Another appointment mode? A fixed term without allowing the prez to fire him? Or only with senate approval? I think it would be interesting if the Supreme Court would appoint the AG for a fixed term, with 7 votes needed there.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »

I think Congress needs to do its job and codify pre-existing norms into law AND actually impeach if the President breaks those laws.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 05:55:10 PM »

I think Congress needs to do its job and codify pre-existing norms into law AND actually impeach if the President breaks those laws.
Which norms?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 05:58:05 PM »

Which norms?

Checks and balances? 
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »

Make every single cabinet official and supreme court justice individually elected, as opposed to being appointed by the president.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 07:56:11 PM »

Make every single cabinet official and supreme court justice individually elected, as opposed to being appointed by the president.

Electing judges is dumb

I think electing Cabinet members could work, but only some, for example Secretary of Stare, Defense, and Homeland Security, should still be appointed, but I could see holding an election for something like HHS, HUD, Labor, or Commerce
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »

Which norms?

Checks and balances? 
Which ones are you referring to as "norms" that Trump has broken, that should be codified into law?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 12:18:12 PM »

Since the president is the head of the executive branch and the constitution requires for each appointee to be senate confirmed, I think any other "appointment mode" would be unconstitutional. Usually, the senate just do it's job properly with independence and any president should not interfere. And if he or she does, there should be a law that makes it an impeachable offense.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 10:58:53 PM »

Which norms?

Checks and balances? 
Which ones are you referring to as "norms" that Trump has broken, that should be codified into law?

Perhaps "norms" wasn't the right word. The President shouldn't be interfering with the Justice Department's work, especially when such work directly involves the President (see Trump pressuring Sessions to "de-recuse" himself). The AG should be, generally, independent of the President in almost all circumstances.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 10:22:16 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2019, 10:27:35 AM by Storr »

I could see AG being elected separately from the Presidential/Vice Presidential ticket, like in most states. Running as a three person ticket could work as well, "Trump Pence Sessions 2016" for example. I feel the people should have more say over who becomes AG because it is such an important position. In the Trump White House it seems to have become stronger than the Secretary of State and solidified itself as #3 in influence in the administration (obviously after Sessions left). I don't feel Senate confirmation is enough anymore. I don't think separate elections would work for other high profile cabinet positions though (DoD, State, DHS) due to their foreign policy/external threat focus which is the realm of the President alone. (Having those positions on the Pres/VP ticket might work, so that the public would at least know who would run such important agencies when deciding how to vote).
P.S. It's important to remember the SoS for states is much different that the national SoS. SoS in the states has the purpose of overseeing elections, administration of business contracts, and maintenance of records repositories.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 12:37:25 PM »

I could see AG being elected separately from the Presidential/Vice Presidential ticket, like in most states. Running as a three person ticket could work as well, "Trump Pence Sessions 2016" for example. I feel the people should have more say over who becomes AG because it is such an important position. In the Trump White House it seems to have become stronger than the Secretary of State and solidified itself as #3 in influence in the administration (obviously after Sessions left). I don't feel Senate confirmation is enough anymore. I don't think separate elections would work for other high profile cabinet positions though (DoD, State, DHS) due to their foreign policy/external threat focus which is the realm of the President alone. (Having those positions on the Pres/VP ticket might work, so that the public would at least know who would run such important agencies when deciding how to vote).
P.S. It's important to remember the SoS for states is much different that the national SoS. SoS in the states has the purpose of overseeing elections, administration of business contracts, and maintenance of records repositories.

Wasn't the national Secretary of State originally designed to do the same and it just came over time that he is in charge of foreign policy?

Actually I'm opposed to too many elections for all sorts of offices. I'd prefer for governors to appoint these officerholders rather than electing them on ballot. Governor should just have a legislature approved cabinet.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 01:44:16 PM »

Yeah, I've been a proponent for a while of separate elections for Attorney General, the way most states do it.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 01:58:50 AM »

Yeah, I've been a proponent for a while of separate elections for Attorney General, the way most states do it.

Via PV or EC?

I have reservations about a national election because that politicizes an office that should actually be non-partisan. If an election, it should be non-partisan as local elections in CA.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 03:57:58 AM »

The easiest way would be to split the role- the AG (off the top of my head) as a lot of powers that interior ministers have in other nations, or in the Commonwealth, powers that the Home Secretary has. These often relate to policing, but I'm sure there's more.

Create an interior minister- who's a political appointee, who deals with the policy aspect, and then create an Attorney General, who like the FBI director is given a 10 year term, and can only be dismissed after a majority in the Senate approve it.

I don't understand electing the position; but that's just because we have a culture that doesn't elect it's judiciary, or its officers.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 04:46:38 PM »

Have Congress choose, no appointment from the President. Congress alone decides.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »

The easiest way would be to split the role- the AG (off the top of my head) as a lot of powers that interior ministers have in other nations, or in the Commonwealth, powers that the Home Secretary has. These often relate to policing, but I'm sure there's more.

Create an interior minister- who's a political appointee, who deals with the policy aspect, and then create an Attorney General, who like the FBI director is given a 10 year term, and can only be dismissed after a majority in the Senate approve it.

I don't understand electing the position; but that's just because we have a culture that doesn't elect it's judiciary, or its officers.

This would be a decent solution, though even fixed ten-year terms couldn't stop the president from removing this officer from his/her position. As head of the executive branch, the president is entitled to fire any federal employee of the exective branch.

Requirung senate approval for removal would be, as I wrote before, unconstitutional as the Supreme Court already ruled in the 1926 case Myers v. United States.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 10:02:01 AM »

It's pretty common from the minister of justice being a diffrent position than the attorney general. It's something worth considering.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 01:57:39 PM »

I like the idea of an independently elected Attorney General, as that would give the office a degree of protection from any President who has authoritarian tendencies (he or she cannot simply be dismissed, though they can still be impeached by Congress) and reinforce its role as an additional check on the chief executive.  And preferably by popular vote. 

And for those worrying about politicizing the office, it won't be any more politicized than the fifty attorneys general elected in their states.  We could make it non-partisan, but let's be real -that won't stop political parties from endorsing their favored candidate. 
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »

I like the idea of an independently elected Attorney General, as that would give the office a degree of protection from any President who has authoritarian tendencies (he or she cannot simply be dismissed, though they can still be impeached by Congress) and reinforce its role as an additional check on the chief executive.  And preferably by popular vote. 

And for those worrying about politicizing the office, it won't be any more politicized than the fifty attorneys general elected in their states.  We could make it non-partisan, but let's be real -that won't stop political parties from endorsing their favored candidate. 
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »

I do NOT like the idea of an independently-elected AG, that would just make the position even more political and biased

I prefer:

Have Congress choose, no appointment from the President. Congress alone decides.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 12:08:28 AM »

New Jersey has what I've seen referred to as an "Imperial Governor" who (among other weird powers by gubernatorial standards) appoints the AG, but other than that I agree with this.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 07:51:31 AM »

Would it be feasible for the SC to choose?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 01:01:40 PM »

The problem is that the Attorney General is part of the executive branch, while the Supreme Court is the highest judicial body. It's very much against the separation of powers.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »

The problem is that the Attorney General is part of the executive branch, while the Supreme Court is the highest judicial body. It's very much against the separation of powers.

I mean, the President appoints the AG with the consent of the Senate? Does that also go against the separation of powers?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »

I mean, the President appoints the AG with the consent of the Senate? Does that also go against the separation of powers?

No, that would be checks and balances.

The proposed scenario would be an equivalent to President giving assignments to the congressional committees or Senate appointing a National Security Advisor.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies