Some Michigan legislature and Congressional districts struck down by court
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:52:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Some Michigan legislature and Congressional districts struck down by court
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some Michigan legislature and Congressional districts struck down by court  (Read 1310 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »

List of affected districts is in the linked story.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 03:10:01 PM »

The Court concludes that the following Challenged Districts constitute unconstitutional partisan gerrymanders, in violation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments, because they dilute the votes of Democratic voters: Congressional Districts 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12; Senate Districts 8, 11, 12, 14, 18, 27, and 36; and House Districts 24, 32, 51, 55, 60, 63, 75, 83, 91, 94, and 95.

That's quite a lot of congressional districts.   

I do agree about the legislature though,  the Michigan Democrats have won the statewide house and senate votes multiple times this decade but never once got a majority.   Sometimes those wins were by 7-8%.
Duke of York

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 04:01:39 PM »

as amazing as this is the Supreme Court is not going to rule partisan gerrymandering unconstitutional which means this ruling will be reversed
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 04:14:17 PM »

How is the 1st district a Gerrymander?
Yang2020
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -2.09

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »

Good. Republicans are guaranteed to lose a bunch of seats now. Karma is a sad thing.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 04:33:25 PM »

I'm assuming the GOP-controlled MI Legislature has overplayed their hand ?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 04:36:46 PM »

Good. Republicans are guaranteed to lose a bunch of seats now. Karma is a sad thing.

It also mentions the 5th and if that was made a fair district trump would win it.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 05:49:40 PM »

I don't see how 1, 4, or 10 are gerrymandered at all.   The rest are at least arguable, if not completely valid (7, 8, 11, 12).

The congressional map doesn't even matter much anymore though,  8 and 11 are swingy enough to be won by the dem incumbents and 2020 is the last election of the decade anyway.

If anything this should encourage the commission in 2020 to draw fair maps.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 06:06:10 PM »

This is a tad overkill, MI maps are decent, a few edits sure, but most of the congressional map is fine.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 07:56:47 PM »

This is a tad overkill, MI maps are decent, a few edits sure, but most of the congressional map is fine.
I'm inclined to agree. I think that it started out as a partisan gerrymander, but a lot of the areas have shifted since 2010 and now the map is not as bad. This might not be great for Democrats, actually...the GOP can take another seat from the Dems here easily.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »

I think a Lansing to Kalamazoo district would be a lot fairer than the current 8th.   

Also Washtenaw going north into Oakland/Livingston would be more preferable too than going east into Wayne.

The Democrats probably do benefit, slightly, from the current MI-5 district though.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 02:12:46 PM »

From reading about it the court said that Iosco,Bay and Arenac shouldn't have been replaced with Grand Traverse and Leeleanau county and IMO this really doesn't count and MI 1st should really just be left as is although its possible that with the 3 Ancestrally D counties added that it would have flipped in 2012 and even possible that D's held it in 2014 as they only lost it by 0.5 points in 2012 and 6 points in 2014. So it is possible that D's could have held this district upto 2016 if the GOP didn't flip these counties although it is almost certain the GOP would hold it today.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »

From reading about it the court said that Iosco,Bay and Arenac shouldn't have been replaced with Grand Traverse and Leeleanau county and IMO this really doesn't count and MI 1st should really just be left as is although its possible that with the 3 Ancestrally D counties added that it would have flipped in 2012 and even possible that D's held it in 2014 as they only lost it by 0.5 points in 2012 and 6 points in 2014. So it is possible that D's could have held this district upto 2016 if the GOP didn't flip these counties although it is almost certain the GOP would hold it today.

Add to this year's Christmas list:

lfromnj - a box full of commas and periods.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »

The best part? Republicans lack anyone with standing to appeal this case in their ranks because they got shutout of all the statewide executive offices in 2018. This ruling therefore will automatically remain final unless there is something Democrats dislike in it.
Duke of York

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 03:38:10 PM »

The best part? Republicans lack anyone with standing to appeal this case in their ranks because they got shutout of all the statewide executive offices in 2018. This ruling therefore will automatically remain final unless there is something Democrats dislike in it.
really? Because I heard there will likely be a stay and the Supreme Court will overturn it when their decision on gerrymandering comes down.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 03:42:10 PM »

really? Because I heard there will likely be a stay and the Supreme Court will overturn it when their decision on gerrymandering comes down.
The Supreme Court cannot stay a ruling if nobody with standing to do so asks the court to stay said ruling.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 03:43:42 PM »

The Supreme Court cannot stay a ruling if nobody with standing to do so asks the court to stay said ruling.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/04/michigan-senate-will-appeal-gerrymandering-ruling-to-us-supreme-court.html
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 03:48:12 PM »

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/04/michigan-senate-will-appeal-gerrymandering-ruling-to-us-supreme-court.html
Key segment: Nobody with Standing to do so. The Michigan Senate lacks standing to take the case.
Duke of York

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 03:58:03 PM »

Key segment: Nobody with Standing to do so. The Michigan Senate lacks standing to take the case.
I fully expect this Supreme Court to say they have standing
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 04:38:24 PM »

I fully expect this Supreme Court to say they have standing

Since Senate districts are affected, it seems logical that the Senate would have standing (I know, I know, the law often isn't logical).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies