Who is your country's ''Reagan?''
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:04:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Who is your country's ''Reagan?''
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who is your country's ''Reagan?''  (Read 865 times)
UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2019, 05:23:24 PM »

I wonder who is your countries Reagan ? because even when the Reagan era is already gone... every republican wants to be a Reagan and every republican office holder execpt Baker wants to be rememberd like a Reagan

I can mention from both my anecestoral and my home country

Netherlands = Pim Fortyun the assasinated popular politician in 2002. Every right wing Dutch politician aspires to be  like Fortuyn... so much that there were 3 Fortuynist parties in the 2006 elections that fighted each other and insulted each other so hard that the original LPF dissapeared from parliament and there are various Fortuynists in almost every city council

Egypt = Gamal Abdel Nasser, Every presidential candidate tried to act like Nasser also there is 23 Nasserist movements in Egypt
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:43:58 PM »

For a Dutch politician that everyone wants to claim, I'd go all the way back to Willem Drees. Viewed as a political inspiration across the board, from SP to PVV.

I don't think "every right-wing Dutch politician aspires to be Pim Fortuyn", at least not for VVD and CDA - even if these parties, too, have been affected by his thinking in certain ways.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 05:45:42 PM »

De Gaulle
UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »

For a Dutch politician that everyone wants to claim, I'd go all the way back to Willem Drees. Viewed as a political inspiration across the board, from SP to PVV.

I don't think "every right-wing Dutch politician aspires to be Pim Fortuyn", at least not for VVD and CDA - even if these parties, too, have been affected by his thinking in certain ways.

heyy another Dutch on the electionatlas nice...

I mean look at wilders he tries to be like Fortuyn but also with Baudet and small other local parties but  Willem Drees is a good one aswell
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 10:23:48 PM »

My country's Reagan is actually Nixon, but we can't admit it because he resigned over a burglarly instead of pretending not to know about arms sales and human traffiking.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 12:14:22 AM »

Robert Menzies
YourLocalKiwiGay
Rookie
New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 03:01:35 AM »

Maybe Sidney Holland or Keith Holyoake
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 06:31:06 AM »

Probably Jose María Aznar even if he didn't get into power well after Reagan's time (1996), but he did do the usual Reaganite stuff like tax cuts and privatization, though the last one started with his predecessor González.

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 01:17:01 PM »

My country's Reagan is actually Nixon, but we can't admit it because he resigned over a burglarly instead of pretending not to know about arms sales and human traffiking.

Actually, it's Lincoln.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 02:51:31 PM »

Brian Mulroney. Like Reagan, he deceived the electorate and fell short of every expectation that his base held for him.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 05:47:01 PM »

@UnselfconsciousTeff the Nasser comparison I would put in a separate league, along with the likes of Peron. “Father of the nation” types in countries with less institutionalized democratic practices.

The American pinnacle of success is, as mentioned, Lincoln, which both parties will claim some link to. I think the Reagan question more appropriately ought to ask about the most “successful” major center-right leader after 1945.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 06:52:29 PM »

Reagan
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 08:55:03 PM »

@UnselfconsciousTeff the Nasser comparison I would put in a separate league, along with the likes of Peron. “Father of the nation” types in countries with less institutionalized democratic practices.

The American pinnacle of success is, as mentioned, Lincoln, which both parties will claim some link to. I think the Reagan question more appropriately ought to ask about the most “successful” major center-right leader after 1945.

I'll actually retract my comment under this framework. I think the Reagan question is better limited to those who set an ideological standard while being popular with moderates and vilified by their opposition. For example, I think Sanders is quickly becoming a Reaganesque figure for the American left. Thatcher, Mitterand, Kohl, and Obama are similar. You might even say Pope Francis fits the bill.

Lincoln actually probably fits the Perón-Nasser-LKY archetype better, especially if you're one of those who believes in the "Second Founding" narrative.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 01:39:07 AM »

I'll actually retract my comment under this framework. I think the Reagan question is better limited to those who set an ideological standard while being popular with moderates and vilified by their opposition. For example, I think Sanders is quickly becoming a Reaganesque figure for the American left. Thatcher, Mitterand, Kohl, and Obama are similar. You might even say Pope Francis fits the bill.

Lincoln actually probably fits the Perón-Nasser-LKY archetype better, especially if you're one of those who believes in the "Second Founding" narrative.
One might put De Gaulle in that group as well, I suppose.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 10:24:23 AM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 12:01:54 PM »

For the left, definitely Willy Brandt. Like Reagan, I think he is overrated. His successor Helmut Schmidt was a much better chancellor.

The conservatives don't have one, maybe Konrad Adenauer, but that has more to do with being the first chancellor of the federal republic. Helmut Kohl is remembered well, but his dark money scandal cost him support and even Merkel distanced herself in the aftermath.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 05:13:23 PM »

Fernando Collor de Mello
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 05:27:13 PM »

For the left, definitely Willy Brandt. Like Reagan, I think he is overrated. His successor Helmut Schmidt was a much better chancellor.

The conservatives don't have one, maybe Konrad Adenauer, but that has more to do with being the first chancellor of the federal republic. Helmut Kohl is remembered well, but his dark money scandal cost him support and even Merkel distanced herself in the aftermath.

If Reagan = the one who finished the postwar era and introduced neoliberalism, german Reagan was Helmut Kohl, even though he was much more moderate than Reagan and Thatcher
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies