FT 11-05: Motion of No Confidence (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:53:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 11-05: Motion of No Confidence (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: FT 11-05: Motion of No Confidence (Debating)  (Read 1011 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 04:23:43 AM »

I object to the motion for a final vote.
After long consideration I feel this course of action is an overreaction to the situation we have found ourselves in. I feel to go down this path, to call new elections only a weeks into a new term, is not needed. We can manage to hold a special election for these seats. We do not need hold brand new elections to form a brand new parliament.

But an overwhelming number of citizens clearly prefer holding new elections to snap elections.  To that, I must ask, what is the Commonwealth to lose if we were to hold new elections with a a new campaign that was focused on the agenda we have before us?  Suffice to say, the April campaigns were, as President Barack Obama would have described it, "soulless."  We need comprehensive plans to address the myriad of issues facing our region today, and a snap election is the perfect opportunity.  That, and the question of democratic legitimacy, are why this snap election is necessary.

Let's give new candidates a chance to prove that they are in this for the long haul, and most importantly, let's listen to the citizens who almost unanimously believe that new elections are needed.

Let me correct you, 11 citizens favour holding new elections.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 04:25:23 AM »

After long consideration I feel this course of action is an overreaction to the situation we have found ourselves in. I feel to go down this path, to call new elections only a weeks into a new term, is not needed. We can manage to hold a special election for these seats. We do not need hold brand new elections to form a brand new parliament.

But an overwhelming number of citizens clearly prefer holding new elections to snap elections.  To that, I must ask, what is the Commonwealth to lose if we were to hold new elections with a a new campaign that was focused on the agenda we have before us?  Suffice to say, the April campaigns were, as President Barack Obama would have described it, "soulless."  We need comprehensive plans to address the myriad of issues facing our region today, and a snap election is the perfect opportunity.  That, and the question of democratic legitimacy, are why this snap election is necessary.

Let's give new candidates a chance to prove that they are in this for the long haul, and most importantly, let's listen to the citizens who almost unanimously believe that new elections are needed.

Which, given our region's population, is a fair sample size. Tongue
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 04:44:59 AM »

At this point, isn't it too late to stop the special? You need 72 hours to hold a vote in this chamber iirc, and the special for the Fthagn and Abraham seats is set to start in just over 37 hours (and the other seats if people declare).
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 04:49:19 AM »

At this point, isn't it too late to stop the special? You need 72 hours to hold a vote in this chamber iirc, and the special for the Fthagn and Abraham seats is set to start in just over 37 hours (and the other seats if people declare).

As First Minister, I can postpone or cancel special elections as I have done in the past.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »

10, at most.  When I was doing the poll I didn't realize a snap election to fill vacant seats affected non-vacant seats. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2019, 12:20:11 PM »

Uh, what? If this is a joke, you can do better. If this is serious, then I urge a NO vote as the motion does not outline any specific reasons to express this lack of confidence.

Wulfric was criticized for this but there remains a valid point here not addressed by this motion.

If this to be an actual "motion expressing a want of confidence in the first minister" as described in our Constitution, then it should express ... a want of confidence in our first minister.  But no one has expressed any interest in removing Scott as FM, and he would be reelected nearly unanimously.

If there are other reasons we need to have snap elections beside a lack of confidence in the first minister, then we need to amend the Constitution.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »

Uh, what? If this is a joke, you can do better. If this is serious, then I urge a NO vote as the motion does not outline any specific reasons to express this lack of confidence.

Wulfric was criticized for this but there remains a valid point here not addressed by this motion.

If this to be an actual "motion expressing a want of confidence in the first minister" as described in our Constitution, then it should express ... a want of confidence in our first minister.  But no one has expressed any interest in removing Scott as FM, and he would be reelected nearly unanimously.

If there are other reasons we need to have snap elections beside a lack of confidence in the first minister, then we need to amend the Constitution.

I will be running in the next Fremont First Minister Election again under the Sacrifical Lamb party.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2019, 10:50:18 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2019, 11:06:37 PM by shua »

Okay then, if we're going to do this, let's make it official:

An amendment:
A motion
A motion of no confidence
Section 1: Motion
1. A motion of expressing a want of confidence in First Minister Scott - whose has been an extremely good FM but a snap needs to happen for reasons beyond his control. , who has proven unable to prevent vacancies in the Parliament or to conduct elections to fill these vacancies in a timely manner.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2019, 12:03:31 AM »

Okay then, if we're going to do this, let's make it official:

An amendment:
A motion
1. A motion of expressing a want of confidence in First Minister Scott - whose has been an extremely good FM but a snap needs to happen for reasons beyond his control. , who has proven unable to prevent vacancies in the Parliament or to conduct elections to fill these vacancies in a timely manner.

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2019, 11:30:10 AM »

I mean, while I have confidence in Scott personally, I can't say the same for the stability of the present government or its mandate, which is why I'll be voting Yes.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 12:24:52 AM »

Hearing no objection, the amendment is adopted.

I motion to suspend the rules and proceed to a final vote.  Should an objection be raised during this vote, the vote will be suspended.

A motion
1. A motion of expressing a want of confidence in First Minister Scott, who has proven unable to prevent vacancies in the Parliament or to conduct elections to fill these vacancies in a timely manner.

Members, please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

Aye.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 12:37:23 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2019, 12:42:06 AM by FM Scott🦋 »

As this vote is taking place I highly urge our Honorable Members not to object to the motion to suspend the rules.  I believe that the question of whether to pass the no-confidence motion has been sufficiently debated and we appear to have somewhat of a consensus in favor of new elections.

Therefore, if you still have reservations about the MoNC, I strongly implore you to vote against the resolution rather than move to delay this important vote for another day or more.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2019, 12:55:24 AM »

Nay
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2019, 01:00:19 AM »

Yeet.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 08:17:17 AM »

Aye
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »

Nay
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2019, 12:20:57 PM »

Changing my vote to Aye
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »

In accordance with the first minister's wishes, I vote Aye.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »

Aye
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »

After great consideration, I vote Nay.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2019, 10:20:35 PM »

With six votes in favor and two opposed, the motion passes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies