LC 2.3 Amendment to Lincoln Fair Wages Act of 2018 (L10.3.3) (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:34:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.3 Amendment to Lincoln Fair Wages Act of 2018 (L10.3.3) (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: LC 2.3 Amendment to Lincoln Fair Wages Act of 2018 (L10.3.3) (Statute)  (Read 2620 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2019, 03:39:23 PM »
« edited: May 05, 2019, 07:31:00 PM by tack50 »

Lincoln Fair Wages Act of 2018

Section 1: Committee Creation

1. This bill, if passed, establishes the Lincoln Wages Committee (LWC).
2. This committee shall consist of 10 NPCs appointed by the governor. A minimum of five members of the LWC must represent labor unions in five major, distinct industries.
3. The committee can be dissolved and reformed by the governor if seen necessary, however the committee cannot be dissolved without prior consent from a simple majority of committee members.
4. This committee shall act independently of the executive and Assembly.

Section 2: Jobs of the LWC

1. The LWC is to divide Lincoln into ranges according to cost of living in the area. This can be done in as many ranges an needed.
2. Each of these ranges shall be assigned a minimum wage according to the average cost of living in the range.
3. The committee must be able to mathematically prove that the minimum wage set for each range is enough to cover cost of living: this shall include all basic expenses such as housing, food, and health care needs.
4. Range boundaries and wages are to be submitted and implemented every four months.

Section 3: Enactment

1. The LWC is to be formed as soon after the passage of this bill as possible.
2. Wage ranges are to take effect June, 22, 2018 and are to be updated every four months afterwards.
3. Once a minimum wage is increased, it cannot be decreased under any circumstances.

Sponsor: PyroTheFox & thr33

Debate time shall start now, and will last no less than 72 hours.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:49:42 PM »

The minimum wage should be allowed to be decreased under some circumstances, especially if a high minimum wage proves economically unfeasible

Also the government setting health care standards is just unacceptable

I will vote NAY on this legislation and invite other Councilors to do the same

Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 05:07:02 PM »

Ok I'll give my analysis, since this is my bill you want to amend.

The amendment to 1.2 is acceptable.
The amendment to 1.3 would prevent the governor (which should be changed to Chancellor while we're at it) from firing a corrupt group (it can happen, regardless how hard we try).
The amendment to 2.3 is acceptable.
The addition of 3.3 makes a dangerous assumption that prices will only ever inflate. While that is our current status quo, if deflation ever were to occur it could be an economic disaster for wages to be forcibly way too high.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 05:10:30 PM »

Thank you Mr. Speaker.

I propose this amendment as to update the fair wage policy of Lincoln with the interests of working people at the forefront.

Point 1.2 - "A minimum of five members of the LWC must represent labor unions in five major, distinct industries." As it stands, there are no restrictions regarding who may sit on the Lincoln Wages Committee. I have introduced this first addition as a means to ensure that representatives of the working class have seats at the table when discussing wage policy on a regional level. I believe it is a fair compromise to place this regulation on only five of the total ten seats.

Point 1.3 - "...however the committee cannot be dissolved without prior consent from a simple majority of committee members." The Lincoln Wages Committee should have a say in whether its duties have been resolved. This maintains the powers of the Governor to call for the body to be dissolved.

Point 2.3 - "...this shall include all basic expenses such as housing, food, and health care needs." This is a simple definition of 'cost of living' which will be considered when the LWC rules on the minimum wage. Nothing more.

Point 3.3 - "Once a minimum wage is increased, it cannot be decreased under any circumstances." There is no acceptable scenario in which the minimum wage should be lowered. Doing so would only harm those who depend on a fair wage to make ends meet. Considering the purpose of the LWC is to determine what constitutes a 'fair wage', with all related economic factors in mind, I cannot imagine the wage would be increased without it first being proven that the raise is feasible and necessary for our citizens.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 03:09:50 PM »

This is a bill I could support. As I have made clear, I have heterodox views on economic issues, and I've advocated for a wage hike for the workers of Lincoln. I have two questions:

(1) Would the following amendment be deemed friendly?

2. This committee shall consist of 10 NPCs appointed by the governor. A minimum of five members of the LWC must represent labor unions be workers or worker advocates in five major, distinct industries.

I'm not anti-union per se, but expanding the definition would allow for representatives on the committee who are looking out for workers needs but are not members of union leadership. This allows for prominent advocates among rank-and-file or alumni of trades to join the committee.

I think that labor unions are the best representatives of laborers that we have at the moment. Altering the wording to include any individual deemed a 'worker' is too vague and could be used to bring basically anybody onto the committee, even a CEO of a major company.

(2) Would the sponsor consider incorporating a mandatory E-Verify system implementation in Lincoln? I believe in addition to wage hikes, this would do a great service to the Lincoln worker, and in particular could include harsh penalties for companies trying to exploit cheap foreign labor.

I would love to support this bill, and I feel a region such as Lincoln with such a robust working and middle class warrants bipartisan passage.

I wouldn't be in favor of adding such a clause to this bill. If we're looking at immigration, I'd prefer we tackle that in its own legislation.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 03:48:04 PM »

RE:Immigration - Fair enough

As for the labor unions part, my main issue is I want to appointing represents that represents membership, not leadership that has been unilaterally points.

How about this amendment?

2. This committee shall consist of 10 NPCs appointed by the governor. A minimum of five members of the LWC must represent labor unions in five major, distinct industries. These union representatives must be selected by membership-wide straw polls.
3. The committee can be dissolved and reformed by the governor if seen necessary, however the committee cannot be dissolved without prior consent from a simple majority of committee members.

Sure, I have no qualms with this. If you're introducing this amendment, consider this approval.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 04:29:15 PM »

Is that a formal ammendment thr33 ?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »

Ammendment L 2:07 by thr33

2. This committee shall consist of 10 NPCs appointed by the governor. A minimum of five members of the LWC must represent labor unions in five major, distinct industries. These union representatives must be selected by membership-wide straw polls.

1. The LWC is to divide Lincoln into ranges according to cost of living in the area. This can be done in as many ranges an needed.
2. Each of these ranges shall be assigned a minimum wage according to the average cost of living in the range.
3. The committee must be able to mathematically prove that the minimum wage set for each range is enough to cover cost of living: this shall include all basic expenses such as housing, food, and health care needs.
4. Range boundaries and wages are to be submitted and implemented every four months.

2. Wage ranges are to take effect June, 22, 2018 and are to be updated every four months afterwards.
3. Once a minimum wage is increased, it cannot be decreased under any circumstances.

Sponsor feedback: Friendly
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 04:35:45 PM »

Do we have a definition for “major industries”?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 05:11:53 PM »

Do we have a definition for “major industries”?

That interpretation would essentially be at the discretion of the Governor.

I would assume 'major industries' would constitute those industries which contributed a high percentage of Atlasia's GDP and employs a substantial subset of our population, such as Agriculture, Education, Manufacturing, etc.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 05:32:21 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I would like to propose an amendment

2. This committee shall consist of 10 NPCs appointed by the governor. A minimum of five members of the LWC must represent labor unions in five major, distinct industries.

This is the most offensive provision, and if it is not removed, I cannot support this bill
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 06:44:30 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I would like to propose an amendment

This is the most offensive provision, and if it is not removed, I cannot support this bill

I will not support this amendment.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 07:24:03 PM »

Ammendment L 2:10 by S019

Sponsor feedback: Hostile
Status: 24h for debate, after which it shall proceed to a vote
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 07:26:26 PM »

Speaking of the ammendment, I fear I am in agreement with S019 and Ninja. The part about not decreasing the minimum wage "under any circumstances" is probably a restriction that is too harsh.

Under most circumstances it should not be decreased, but that should still be left as a possibility. Maybe require some sort of supermajority requirement to lower it?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 07:59:33 PM »

While it's not a very likely possibility, rampant deflation is still a possibility. I agree with the clause in pretty much any other scenario, but I'm not sure about including it.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 07:45:58 PM »

Councillors, a vote is now open on the following:

Ammendment L 2:10 by S019

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain

This vote shall last for 24 hours or until all Councillors have voted
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 07:50:15 PM »

NAY

I stand by my original bill (plus the straw-poll addition) and the notion that the minimum wage would not be increased by the LWC without an understanding of the economic consequences of doing so.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »

Aye. Minimum should always be open to a decrease depending on economic circumstances.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 08:04:51 PM »

AYE
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 10:06:47 PM »

3-3 alone is enough to draw my ire:

Nay
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 04:39:00 AM »

After some thinking,

Abstain

We should still leave the door open to minimum wage decreases. "under any circumstances" is probably too restrictive. As I've said, I prefer a less restrictive supermajority requirement.

Ironically, in the hyper-deflation scenario (as unlikely as it is), keeping the minimum wage high might be an interesting idea to try and combat said hyper-deflation.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 07:37:31 AM »

Aye
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »

I concur with Griff in this case. 3-3 is enough reason to vote it down.

NAY
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 12:37:48 PM »

3-3 is a dangerous policy, I don't see why that's the linchpin.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 10:21:26 PM »

Councillors, a vote is now open on the following:
Amendment L 2:10 by S019
Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain
This vote shall last for 24 hours or until all Councillors have voted

24 hours are up, this vote needs to be closed and certified.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies