LC 2.5 The Lincoln Single Payer Healthcare Act (General debate)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:29:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.5 The Lincoln Single Payer Healthcare Act (General debate)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: LC 2.5 The Lincoln Single Payer Healthcare Act (General debate)  (Read 4942 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 04:24:21 PM »

After some thinking, I think I'd prefer a lower limit, of say, 4 or 6 months (or abolish it entirely). Who would be the most likely people on temporary visas?

Temporary workers? Students? Who else?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 04:34:25 PM »

After some thinking, I think I'd prefer a lower limit, of say, 4 or 6 months (or abolish it entirely). Who would be the most likely people on temporary visas?

My main idea is thinking about people stuck in the immigration system waiting for a green card.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2019, 04:38:32 PM »

My main idea is thinking about people stuck in the immigration system waiting for a green card.

Yeah, those should certainly get healthcare as well, but should get a lower limit. You can make an argument for no limit (my ideal) or even illegal inmigrants (based on the fact that preventative care is cheaper than actual healing), but I'm willing to discuss the limit if it's low enough.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »

Maybe six months? It seems that's what they have in the UK, so there would be precedent:

"People moving to the UK from outside of the European Economic Area for longer than six months are required to pay the surcharge of £200 per year.[8] The Health Surcharge entitles them to 100% free health care on the NHS."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_health_surcharge

I'd personally go with 3 months, which is the maximum length of the tourist visa if I am not mistaken?

Alternatively, maybe make it so all inmigrants other than those on a tourist visa are covered?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 05:33:02 PM »

Im fine with any reasonable year. Currently I settled at a year although six months is fine. 5 years was the first number that came to the top of my head.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 07:28:51 PM »

Councillors, a vote is now open on the following

Ammendment L 2:02 by S019 / Suburban New Jersey Conservative

Mr. Speaker, I propose the following amendment
The Lincoln Single Payer Healthcare Act

An act to establish a regional single payer healthcare system in the region of Lincoln

Section I: Elegibility and benefits
1. A new government program, named the Lincoln Healthcare System, or LHS, shall be created
2. All residents of Lincoln shall be entitled to benefits under this Act
3. No person shall be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the program or be subject to any reduction of benefits established under this Act for discriminatory reasons. These include, but are not limited to age, race, gender, pre-existing medical conditions, etc
4. The enrollment of new individuals in this program shall be automatic upon adquiring the condition of legal resident of Lincoln. The government shall issue a card to all individuals enrolled in this program
5. From the moment this bill is enacted, it shall be unlawful for private insurers and employers to provide or sell benefits that duplicate those of this act. However extra benefits not covered by this act may still be provided by private insurers and employers

Section II: Coverage
1. The government of Lincoln shall pay on behalf of the individuals covered by this program for the following items and services if they are medically appropiate for the maintenance of health or for the diagnosis, treatment, or rehabilitation of a health condition:

a) Hospital services, including inpatient and outpatient hospital care, including 24-hour-a-day emergency services and inpatient prescription drugs.
b) Ambulatory patient services.
c) Primary and preventive services, including chronic disease management.
d) Prescription drugs and medical devices, including outpatient prescription drugs, medical devices, and biological products.
e) Mental health and substance abuse treatment services, including inpatient care.
f) Laboratory and diagnostic services.
g) Comprehensive reproductive, maternity, and newborn care, however this shall not include funding for abortions or abortion providers, such as Planned Parenthood.
h) Pediatrics.
i) Oral health, audiology, and vision services.
j) Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices.
k) Emergency services and transportation.
l) Early and periodic screening, diagnostic, and treatment services
m) Long-term care services and support

2. No cost-sharing measures shall be imposed on individuals for the services covered by this Act

Section III: On Healthcare Providers
1. Each health care provider has a duty to act in the exclusive interest of each individual under the care of such provider according to the applicable legal standard of care, such that no financial interest or relationship impairs any health care provider’s ability to furnish necessary and appropriate care to such individual.
2. A health care provider is considered to be qualified to furnish covered items and services under this Act if the provider is licensed or certified to furnish such items and services in the region of Lincoln
3. The government of Lincoln shall establish minimum standards for institutional providers of services and individual health care practitioners.
4. An institutional, individual or privately owned provider may not bill or enter into any private contract with any individual eligible for benefits under the Act for any item or service that is a benefit under this Act.
5. All healthcare providers by the start of the year 2030 shall be public or non-profit providers. The government of Lincoln will work for a smooth transition. The year of application of this section may be extended by the governor.
6. Individuals covered by this act shall be free to choose among all providers and institutions that participate in this Act

Section IV: Payments to Providers
1. Not later than the beginning of each fiscal quarter during which an institutional provider of care (including hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, Federally qualified health centers, home health agencies, and independent dialysis facilities) is to furnish items and services under this Act, the government of Lincoln shall pay to such institutional provider a lump sum.
2. The amount of each payment to a provider described in Section IV.1 shall be determined before the start of each fiscal year through negotiations between the provider and the state director with jurisdiction over such provider.
3. Payments to providers under this Act may not take into account:
a) The provider's marketing
b) The profit or net revenue of the provider
c) Political contributions
4. Providers receiving payment under this Section shall be prohibited from using funds designated for operating expenditures for capital expenditures or profit; and viceversa
5. The prices to be paid for covered pharmaceuticals, medical supplies, medical technologies, and medically necessary equipment covered under this Act shall be negotiated annually

Section V: Relation with the federal Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017
1. The region of Lincoln hereby opts out of the AtlasCare program, as established in Part II, Section 1 of that bill.
This bill shall also allow insurance companies to choose, what types of insurance that they wish to offer

Section VI: Enactment
1. This bill shall be enacted on the 1st of October, 2019

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain.

This vote shall last for 24h or until all councillors have voted
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 07:29:55 PM »

NAY
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 07:52:45 PM »

AYE
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 09:34:59 PM »

NAY!!!!!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 09:36:43 PM »

This is stunning, coming from a moderate like you, however, I do hope you remain involved in the game, your moderation, independence, and bipartisanship, is something that we can all learn from and admire
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 09:48:23 PM »

NAY
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 09:57:53 PM »

Nay
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2019, 12:27:41 PM by Councilor Zaybay »

Unfortunate that "The Lincoln Single Payer Healthcare Act" would be such a poor bill. Of course, a rejection of the amendment may actually allow the bill to achieve its literal sole purpose.

NAY
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2019, 12:22:29 PM »

This is stunning, coming from a moderate like you, however, I do hope you remain involved in the game, your moderation, independence, and bipartisanship, is something that we can all learn from and admire

Wulfric has a leftist persona in game.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2019, 12:23:53 PM »

Aye on the amendment.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »

The vote on Ammendment L 2:02 is now closed:

Aye: 3 (S019, lfromnj, thr33)
Nay: 4 (tack50, Pyro, Adam Griffin, Zaybay)

So the ammendment is rejected
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2019, 07:35:52 PM »

We now get to the final ammendment proposed, which is thr33's ammendment. After much internal debate with myself, I've decided to make it unfriendly. I may introduce a smaller version later putting restrictions only to those on tourist visas, or maybe those on visas below 3 or 6 months.

Plus that way we get a bit more debate and an actual vote, which is always nice.

Ammendment L 2:11 by thr33

1. A new government program, named the Lincoln Healthcare System, or LHS, shall be created
2. All legal permanent residents as well as those on visas with 5 years of residence of Lincoln shall be entitled to benefits under this Act
3. No person shall be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the program or be subject to any reduction of benefits established under this Act for discriminatory reasons. These include, but are not limited to age, race, gender, pre-existing medical conditions, etc
4. The enrollment of new individuals in this program shall be automatic upon adquiring the condition of legal permanent resident of Lincoln or surpassing the five year residency threshold for visas holders. The government shall issue a card to all individuals enrolled in this program
5. From the moment this bill is enacted, it shall be unlawful for private insurers and employers to provide or sell benefits that duplicate those of this act. However extra benefits not covered by this act may still be provided by private insurers and employers

Sponsor feedback: Hostile
Status: 24h for debate, after which a vote shall be opened by the speaker
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 08:11:03 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I would like to propose an amendment

2. All legal permanent residents as well as those on visas with 5 years of residence of Lincoln, only shall be entitled to benefits under this Act
4. The enrollment of new individuals in this program shall be automatic manual and require registration, and is only open to permanent residents of Lincoln upon adquiring the condition of legal permanent resident of Lincoln or surpassing the five year residency threshold for visas holders. The government shall issue a card to all individuals enrolled in this program

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2019, 04:40:43 AM »

Before we consider S019's ammendment; we need to first vote thr33's ammendment

Councillors, a vote is now open on the following:

2. All legal permanent residents as well as those on visas with 5 years of residence of Lincoln shall be entitled to benefits under this Act
4. The enrollment of new individuals in this program shall be automatic upon adquiring the condition of legal permanent resident of Lincoln or surpassing the five year residency threshold for visas holders. The government shall issue a card to all individuals enrolled in this program

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain

This vote shall last for 24 h or until all Councillors have voted
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2019, 04:41:57 AM »

Nay
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2019, 06:20:46 AM »

NAY
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2019, 06:26:17 AM »

AYE
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »

NAY
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2019, 10:22:59 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2019, 03:19:57 PM by Elliot County Populist »

Aye although i can vote for a lower number for the limit.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2019, 05:53:00 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2019, 06:01:24 PM by tack50 »

The vote on Ammendment L 2:11 by thr33 is now closed

Aye: 3 (S019, lfromnj, thr33)
Nay: 3 (tack50, Pyro, Zaybay)
Abstain: 0