LC 2.5 The Lincoln Single Payer Healthcare Act (General debate) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:00:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.5 The Lincoln Single Payer Healthcare Act (General debate) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 2.5 The Lincoln Single Payer Healthcare Act (General debate)  (Read 4987 times)
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 27, 2019, 06:51:31 PM »
« edited: April 27, 2019, 07:02:53 PM by Pyro »

Mr. Speaker, this is absolutely fantastic. I applaud this measure and the overall objective of enshrining healthcare as a right for all Atlasians. I believe Atlascare was a step in the right direction for our nation, and it deserves to be comprehensively expanded into a single-payer program. In the here and now, however, we must do all we can to end the practice of for-profit medical care and ensure all Atlasians are provided expansive coverage regardless of personal wealth. I plan to support and defend this legislation.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 07:04:39 PM »

As for my opposition to the ammendment, it is very simple. If S019's ammendment is passed at that point we might as well throw the bill into the garbage. It nullifies all the aims the bill was trying to achieve.

I stand in agreement with the Speaker. I wholeheartedly oppose this amendment.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »

As for my opposition to the ammendment, it is very simple. If S019's ammendment is passed at that point we might as well throw the bill into the garbage. It nullifies all the aims the bill was trying to achieve.

My amendment is designed to give people and their insurers control pf their healthcare, rather than the government

I do not think it is a bad amendment, but the bill introduced by the Speaker was flawed and my amendment fixes those flaws

Insurance companies having control over healthcare is the problem.
That's not something we need to add, it's something that needs to end.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 08:13:50 PM »

My amendment is designed to give people and their insurers control pf their healthcare, rather than the government

I do not think it is a bad amendment, but the bill introduced by the Speaker was flawed and my amendment fixes those flaws

Insurance companies having control over healthcare is the problem.
That's not something we need to add, it's something that needs to end.

The bill without my amendment basically transfers control of healthcare to the government, even if people like their doctor, they will not be able to keep their doctor, if people liek their plan they will not be able to keep it. Plus, how exactly are we supposed to pay for this government takeover pf healthcare? I think people not the government, should decide their healthcare plan.

The Government of Lincoln would, should the bill pass as-is, provide basic coverage services instead of private, for-profit insurance companies. This establishes a public program for basic healthcare needs and is needed if we wish to ensure we attain every person in this region has the right to comprehensive healthcare services.

Regarding cost savings, single-payer systems actually cost far less than their private healthcare counterparts. The public program, as a result of locked-in negotiations with pharmaceutical companies, would guarantee substantially lower health costs per person.

Passing this legislation would be a milestone on the road to a society that values human lives above profit.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 09:48:23 PM »

NAY
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »

NAY
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 02:38:43 PM »

After careful consideration on the Amendment's effect on the bill, I vote Nay on this tiebreaker. Nay!

Also, Councillors, make sure to vote everytime you can. There will be consequences for inactivity.

For what's worth, I haven't made any efforts so far to ping Councillors on Discord or send PMs to them. Maybe I should start doing that? Though ideally they should appear by themselves

Given how short the votes are, only 24 hours, you really should Discord DM or Atlas PM all members whenever a vote opens.

Tbh, it shouldn't be Speaker Tack's responsibility to ping every inactive/semi-active member.

These Councilors were elected with the expectation that they will be active legislators, and it doesn't take much effort to check in to vote (Which is, by the way, a bare minimum). They shouldn't need reminding.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »

After careful consideration on the Amendment's effect on the bill, I vote Nay on this tiebreaker. Nay!

Also, Councillors, make sure to vote everytime you can. There will be consequences for inactivity.

For what's worth, I haven't made any efforts so far to ping Councillors on Discord or send PMs to them. Maybe I should start doing that? Though ideally they should appear by themselves

Given how short the votes are, only 24 hours, you really should Discord DM or Atlas PM all members whenever a vote opens.

Tbh, it shouldn't be Speaker Tack's responsibility to ping every inactive/semi-active member.

These Councilors were elected with the expectation that they will be active legislators, and it doesn't take much effort to check in to vote (Which is, by the way, a bare minimum). They shouldn't need reminding.

Activity Tracker
Even you yourself have missed a vote. As has thr. As has Griffin and Ninja. Are you all inactive? No. It's just that Lincoln has very short votes. 24 hours is short enough that people can miss a vote. Plus, the sheer number of amendments mean people can miss one vote.
When the voting window is so short and the number of votes is so large people do need to be notified of votes because otherwise people will miss a vote or two despite their best intentions.

I have not yet missed a vote, your count is inaccurate.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 03:10:28 PM »

Activity Tracker
Even you yourself have missed a vote. As has thr. As has Griffin and Ninja. Are you all inactive? No. It's just that Lincoln has very short votes. 24 hours is short enough that people can miss a vote. Plus, the sheer number of amendments mean people can miss one vote.
When the voting window is so short and the number of votes is so large people do need to be notified of votes because otherwise people will miss a vote or two despite their best intentions.

I have not yet missed a vote, your count is inaccurate.

Oh sorry about that, it turns out tack somehow failed to count the votes correctly.
Anyway, my point still stands.

I hear what you're saying, but I disagree about the need to notify. Checking in on the Noticeboard thread once a day to review the status of the legislation isn't asking more than what one signs up for upon election. I do think, however, that the abundance of concurrent votes is exactly why expanding the # of bills up for debate is a bad idea: Per my opposition to LC 2.8.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 08:39:07 AM »

Lincoln Council is now in Final Business Period

The Second Council of Lincoln will dissolve at Midnight EST July 16th
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies