LC 2.6 Lincoln Abortion Ban Repeal Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:17:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.6 Lincoln Abortion Ban Repeal Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: LC 2.6 Lincoln Abortion Ban Repeal Act (Statute)  (Read 3035 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2019, 08:14:58 PM »
« edited: May 07, 2019, 07:00:30 PM by tack50 »

Lincoln Abortion Ban Repeal Act

to return Lincoln to a common sense reproductive health law

Section I

1. The Lincoln Abortion Ban Act (L 11.30) is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

Section II

1. This act takes effect immediately upon signing by the governor.

Sponsor: PyroTheFox

Debate time for this bill has started and shall last no less than 72 hours
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 08:21:10 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I propose the following amendment

Section I

1. The Lincoln Abortion Ban Act (L 11.30) is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.
2. Women shall only be allowed to get abortions in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the life of the mother. All third trimester abortions are banned, except in cases of danger to the life of the mother
3. Neither the government of Lincoln nor Lincoln’s taxpayers will fund any abortions or abortion providers, such as Planned Parenthood. Any payments from abortions, must be out of pocket payments from the seeker of the abortion

Section II

1. This act takes effect immediately upon six months after signing by the governor.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 08:22:19 PM »

Isn't abortion anyway allowed under federal law?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »

Isn't abortion anyway allowed under federal law?

I mean this game has existed since 2004, it’s possible, especially earlier, when this site was much more conservative, that a conservative SC overturned Roe or a Federalist government passed a law allowing regional bans on it, and the SC just did not act on it
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 08:29:37 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.

This is a simple repeal bill and is being proposed for one single reason: A compromise measure related to women's reproductive health is already part of the Lincoln Code. In 2017, Lincoln passed the Reasonable Limitations Act (L603) which reads as follows:

Section 1 (Title)
1. This act shall be known as the “Reasonable Limitations Act of 2017” or the “RLA”.

Section 2 (Regulations)
1. Abortions after 20 weeks are hereby prohibited.
2. The punishment for performing an illegal abortion shall be a fine on the doctor who performed the abortion, worth $2,000 for every week over 20 weeks.
3. Parts 1 and 2 shall be nullified in cases of rape, incest, or if the life of the mother or child is at risk.

Section 3 (Birth Control)
1. Funding for health care administrators which provide free contraception shall be increased by 10%.

It is my belief that the above law is more than fair in terms of compromise.

The Lincoln Abortion Ban Act (L 11.30) is the law I hope to repeal.

Lincoln Abortion Ban Act
1. Abortion shall be prohibited after 12 weeks except in the case of endangerment to the mother or rape.
2. No doctor shall recommend an Abortion unless it is deemed medically necessary to save the mothers' life.
3. Any doctor that preforms an illegal abortion shall be fined $50,000 and have their medical license suspended for 1 year.

This piece of legislation was essentially forced through the old legislature in June of 2018 and signed as a blatant attack on reproductive rights. This law arbitrarily lowered the above figure from 20 to 12 weeks and nonsensically mandated that doctors were forbidden from recommending an abortion unless the purpose was to save the mother's life.

I urge the Council to vote AYE on this repeal to return to common sense compromise.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 08:49:14 PM »

What happened to this bill? Was it never signed by the governor?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 09:14:38 PM »

Section I

2. Women shall only be allowed to get abortions in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the life of the mother. All third trimester abortions are banned, except in cases of danger to the life of the mother
3. Neither the government of Lincoln nor Lincoln’s taxpayers will fund any abortions or abortion providers, such as Planned Parenthood. Any payments from abortions, must be out of pocket payments from the seeker of the abortion

Section II

1. This act takes effect immediately upon six months after signing by the governor.

Sponsor feedback: Hostile
Status: 24 hours for debate on the amendment; after which a vote shall be opened by the Council Speaker.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 09:15:20 PM »

The amendment further rolls back reproductive rights. I shall oppose it.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 09:16:26 PM »

I supprot the proposed amendment
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 10:23:45 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2019, 08:42:14 AM by All States will be D »

I do not believe there should be any restriction on abortion until the point of viability but if there is such a restriction then the women should also be punished and not just the doctor. I would split the fine between the women and the doctor. I am deciding if I can amend the act to also split the fine with the women.

I also oppose the amendment and will wait for the vote to be opened on it.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 05:11:47 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2019, 05:15:36 AM by tack50 »

Thanks Pyro for making my life easier! Smiley For the purposes of numbering, that shall be ammendment L 2:03.

As for the ammendment itself, I also oppose it. This is pretty much a ban on abortion. I've always held the belief that abortion should be legal in the first 3 months at a minimum, banned in the last trimester (except to save the mother's health) and months 4-6 (or weeks 13-24) would be the sweet spot for making a cutoff point. Where exactly I am not sure though.

However, the Reasonable Limitations Act was exactly that; reasonable. The later Lincoln Abortion Ban, while not a bad bill, is certainly just at the lower edge of what I prefer. Between the 2 I am taking the earlier, less restrictive version.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »

Do bills automatically become law without being signed after a week or so in Lincoln?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »

Apparently, it was indeed never signed

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=295175.msg6680777#msg6680777
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »

According to Article 1, Section 6 of the old Lincoln constitution:

"If the Governor fails to either sign or veto a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law."

Therefore, this bill is redundant.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2019, 03:26:17 PM by Pyro »

According to Article 1, Section 6 of the old Lincoln constitution:

"If the Governor fails to either sign or veto a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law."

Therefore, this bill is redundant.

It appears you are correct in that a similar bill passed the legislature previously and was not signed by Governor ReaganClinton within 120 hours, meaning it is now law. However, if you look at what the passed bill actually states, it does not repeal the Lincoln Abortion Ban law, but rather edits the language from 12 to 20 weeks and, in fact, retains the stipulation that no doctor recommend an abortion unless "deemed medically necessary to save the mother's life." More so, unlike in the Reasonable Limitations Act, this "repeal" does not allow for the 20 week limit to be nullified in cases of rape, incest, or if the life of the mother is at risk.

I am glad a prior legislature had recognized the faults with the Lincoln Abortion Ban, however I am not placated. Once more, the Reasonable Limitations Act was more than fair for each side. I propose a return to this law.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 11:37:24 AM »

Mr. Speaker, I shall introduce the following amendment. This shall clarify the return to the Reasonable Limitations Act.

Section I

1. The Lincoln Abortion Ban Repeal Act (L 15.7) is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

2.1. The Lincoln Abortion Ban Act (L 11.30) is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

Section II

As Sponsor of this bill, I believe that this is now immediately incorporated into the bill.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 12:34:11 PM »

Ammendment L 2:05 by PyroTheFox

Section I

1. The Lincoln Abortion Ban Repeal Act (L 15.7) is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

2.1. The Lincoln Abortion Ban Act (L 11.30) is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

Section II

Sponsor feedback: Origination
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »

Can somebody briefly explain what, in practice, the old law and the proposed new law would be?

While I am largely an opponent of abortion (and am uncomfortable with a 20 week deadline), I am extremely sympathetic to the mother's life.

I actually would support an amendment expanding exceptions to situations in which not only the mother's life is at risk, but the mother's *physical* health in general.

I'll hold off on proposing the amendment until I have a firm understanding of the law before/after the legislation though.

Passing this legislation would re-enact the Reasonable Limitations Act - I included the text of the original law earlier in the debate.

Currently, Lincoln's policy is an amended version of the Lincoln Abortion Ban law as seen here.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 03:18:16 PM »

Can somebody briefly explain what, in practice, the old law and the proposed new law would be?

While I am largely an opponent of abortion (and am uncomfortable with a 20 week deadline), I am extremely sympathetic to the mother's life.

I actually would support an amendment expanding exceptions to situations in which not only the mother's life is at risk, but the mother's *physical* health in general.

I'll hold off on proposing the amendment until I have a firm understanding of the law before/after the legislation though.

Passing this legislation would re-enact the Reasonable Limitations Act - I included the text of the original law earlier in the debate.

Currently, Lincoln's policy is an amended version of the Lincoln Abortion Ban law as seen here.

So what is the point of this law again if the abortion ban was already repealed due to the lack of the signature by the governor?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 03:19:55 PM »

The Lincoln Abortion Ban Repeal Act was supported by the current governor, thus, I find it highly unlikely that he would support this bill.

The Lincoln Abortion Ban Repeal Act L 15.7, actually aounds like a good compromise bill, I oppose repealing it
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2019, 03:25:25 PM »

So what is the point of this law again if the abortion ban was already repealed due to the lack of the signature by the governor?

I answered this already in a reply to Councilor Ninja.

It appears you are correct in that a similar bill passed the legislature previously and was not signed by Governor ReaganClinton within 120 hours, meaning it is now law. However, if you look at what the passed bill actually states, it does not repeal the Lincoln Abortion Ban law, but rather edits the language from 12 to 20 weeks and, in fact, retains the stipulation that no doctor recommend an abortion unless "deemed medically necessary to save the mother's life."

In addition to this, under present law the 20 week limit is only nullified in the case of "endangerment to the mother", as opposed to the clearer definition in the Reasonable Limitations Act. (Section 2.3 Parts 1 and 2 shall be nullified in cases of rape, incest, or if the life of the mother or child is at risk.)
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2019, 03:42:06 PM »

It appears you are correct in that a similar bill passed the legislature previously and was not signed by Governor ReaganClinton within 120 hours, meaning it is now law. However, if you look at what the passed bill actually states, it does not repeal the Lincoln Abortion Ban law, but rather edits the language from 12 to 20 weeks and, in fact, retains the stipulation that no doctor recommend an abortion unless "deemed medically necessary to save the mother's life."

In addition to this, under present law the 20 week limit is only nullified in the case of "endangerment to the mother", as opposed to the clearer definition in the Reasonable Limitations Act. (Section 2.3 Parts 1 and 2 shall be nullified in cases of rape, incest, or if the life of the mother or child is at risk.)

The current law (15.7) also nullifies the limit in the case of rape.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 03:46:10 PM »

The current law (15.7) also nullifies the limit in the case of rape.

I know that. Though I assume including incest into that language was considered too extreme when that bill was written?

Once more, the Reasonable Limitations Act laid this out perfectly and we should return to it.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 05:37:52 AM »

Councillors, a vote is now open on the following:

Ammendment L 2:03 by S019

Section I

Section II

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain

This vote shall last for 24 hours or until all councillors have voted
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 05:38:51 AM »

Nay
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »