Senate Confirmation Hearing: Sestak for Deputy GM (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:30:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Confirmation Hearing: Sestak for Deputy GM (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Senate Confirmation Hearing: Sestak for Deputy GM (Confirmed)  (Read 3121 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2019, 03:29:12 PM »

What did Sestak do to tmth in February?
Sestak's post from February is here, you can read through as I don't really see how rehashing it is productive at this stage.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2019, 07:44:58 PM »

With regard to the issue of having two Deputy GMs who hold elected office in Fremont, I would be willing to resign from the GM Department if necessary.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2019, 11:46:54 PM »

Hearings have been open for the past two weeks now, so I think it will be for the best to move into a final vote.

Senators, a final vote is open on the nominee. Please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2019, 05:17:40 AM »

Aye
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2019, 04:49:22 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2019, 04:52:55 PM by FM Scott🦋 »

I have decided that, provided Sestak is confirmed, I will resign from the GM Department.  This should alleviate most concerns people have about this nomination.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2019, 11:11:15 AM »

Thank you, Scott. Considering the concerns that were previously raised and the suggestion I brought up, I am guessing senators are holding their votes until Sestak weighs in on whether he would commit to focusing on the Deputy GM job or will pursue elected office as well.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2019, 12:17:45 PM »

This is 2013 all over again, with the same concern-trolls using different masks and partisan labels. If I could inherit Sestak's body, I would frankly withdraw his nomination and let LT or whomever pick one of his Discord buddies and see if they could do better (they couldn't).

I would disagree. Had sestak came before us with the same concerns raised that were raised against you, mainly partisanship etc, I would be strongly in the Aye camp, especially since I was back then. The fact that I have concerns is evidence of this situation being different.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2019, 12:37:24 PM »

Right now my thoughts are this, I am inclined to agree with the President on the points he has made but I would make this note about the subject. Were this the actual position of GM itself, I would be inclined towards nay for the simple fact that I think it prudent on critical offices to expect some level of engagement upon return before entrusting a returning player to such a position. An example would be some lower level elective office somewhere for instance. That being said this is a Deputy position and thus while still a preference of mine, and certainly the preferable approach generally perhaps the standard doesn't need to be applied quite as stringently.

I am not concerned about partisanship or the quality of the stories here, as once again I agree with the President in that I think he would be good with both.

One thing I will say is that the attitude that has been taken towards this nomination by several people trying to help Sestak have been thoroughly counter productive. I am a big fan of a vibrant and an extensive vetting in confirmation hearings, and especially in a case like this where you have an appointee you recently left the game suddenly and abruptly, one needs to exercise care. We have had plenty of experience over the years with people taking offices, especially appointed ones and then not doing the job. As such, this is the biggest concern that should face any nominee and the most important and necessary questions will invariably be on grounds of competence, activity and commitment. It is a responsibility of the Senate and the Senators to take these concerns seriously since we have had so many instances where things have gone badly and thus not doing it would end up being incompetence or negligence on the part of the Senators.

I will share with you a story and since I realize by now Adam Griffin has already stopped reading, I will continue without concerning myself with his comments about "Yankee droning on about the past". When I was running for the Senate for the first time, we had a confirmation hearing for an Attorney General and this was a big name forum poster who had been here since rocks cooled and I remember him actually shaming Senators for daring to ask him questions, reasonable questions. Of course it is a great example of this action because happened afterwards. He didn't do his job in office, but he did try and cease the Presidency illegally when the subsequent election ended in a tie.

From the beginning, this has been a concern of mine and it has been my desire to shift the culture away from one of entitlement because of who someone his and supports and make sure that people are subjected to rigorous examination and that concerns are indeed addressed. The Senate doing its job is not concern trolling, oversight over appointments and officials is not us over stepping our bounds, it is the Senate doing its job. Frankly, I have found the comments made by several people who are supporting Sestak to have been harmful not just generally but harmful to his own cause as well. With friends like that...

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2019, 01:12:56 PM »

Following Sestak's declaration that he will no longer be a candidate in the snap election, the WNN hereby endorses the confirmation of the nomination, as this resolves WNN's key concern (a recently returned player holding two offices jointly)
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2019, 02:01:13 PM »

I will vote aye
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »

Nay
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2019, 02:07:37 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2019, 10:10:10 PM »

Aye

Do not make me regret this vote, Sestak!
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2019, 12:19:09 AM »

Aye
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2019, 09:03:50 PM »

The nominee is hereby confirmed on a 5-1 vote.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies