Did Dukakis have a chance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:36:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Did Dukakis have a chance
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Dukakis have a chance  (Read 1151 times)
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2019, 12:31:39 AM »

He led by 17 points at one point. He was up against George Hw Bush who was,t really charismatic.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 01:50:04 PM »

The 1988 election was winnable for Democrats, but not with Dukakis. He could have made it closer by running a more competent campaign. He let Bush define him as out-of-touch liberal weak on crime and defense and just not the right man for that time.

I think rank and file Democrats like Lloyd Bentsen, Lawton Chiles, Sam Nunn or Mario Cuomo would have won the election.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 02:59:05 PM »

After the tank, he had no chance.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »

Yes, but he shot himself in the foot, repeatedly

The tank photo-op really hurt him

Then, he allowed Bush to define him on crime, with the Willie Horton fiasco

Then, he gave the most emotionless, heartless answer possible on the death penalty

By the end of the campaign, most of America, saw him as a an East Coast liberal elitist
Amadeus

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 09:34:44 AM »

Dukakis was a very good Governor of MA, but he had no idea what he was doing once he began a national campaign. He didn't understand that you have to actually campaign to get elected President (after the convention, he took a month's vacation and cancelled campaign events in order to focus on his job as Governor). Instead of running on the issues (stock market crash, Iran-Contra, debt and deficit) he put forward a bland message of "competence" that didn't win over anyone by election day. His PR was terrible. Aside from the tank fiasco, Dukakis couldn't explain his liberal positions to voters or make himself appear relatable. It's really bad when a millionaire VP makes the son of Greek immigrants look like the out of touch elitist.

He could've won, but he'd have had to do everything differently.
UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 04:41:09 PM »

He led by 17 points at one point. He was up against George Hw Bush who was,t really charismatic.

The Dukakis campaign was so bad that even Dukakis blamed Dukakis
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »

Yes. A small iota, and he blew even that.

Unfortunately he came out of a clown car by doing nothing while everyone else took each other out [well except for ironically, Biden]. Trump and Carter fought hard and created movements unlike the orthodoxy, which left them in an excellent place to take on the greater challenge.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 03:25:50 AM »

He did in the early campaign, picking Bensten helped quite a bit, plus the fact some people were feeling Reagan fatigue. But he just didn't capitalize on anything. He could have won Illinois and Pennsylvania easily, and while that would not have been a win, those were 49 electoral votes within such close grasp that he blew just with the snap of a finger. The other 110 would have been able to eventually follow
connally68
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 02:13:19 PM »

Until Bush 41's acceptance speech, Dukakis was actually crushing him. I was in the 8th grade and I vividly watched both conventions. Yes he did actually have a chance. He was the last social leftist to do really well in coal country. He did extremely well in West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania. He crushed Bush in Westmoreland County, Pa. It's the Trump supporter mecca outside of West Virginia. I know i lived there until I was over 30.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 05:02:58 PM »

What I'd imagine would happen if Dukakis maintained a strong lead over Bush. But let's be real here, he was going to tank (pun intended) no matter what
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 12:31:31 PM »

What I'd imagine would happen if Dukakis maintained a strong lead over Bush. But let's be real here, he was going to tank (pun intended) no matter what

This is a pretty weird map.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 12:47:29 PM »

This is a pretty weird map.

A pretty weird map for a pretty weird campaign. The Dukakis campaign was seriously trying to contest Oklahoma at one point
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »

Dukakis should NOT have picked Bentsen.  Bentsen was not going to carry Texas for him.  Breaux, Graham, Shelby, Nunn, Hunt, Glenn, and Gephardt would have all been better picks for Dukakis, as would have been Lee Hamilton, who was the guy Dukakis liked the best.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »

Dukakis should NOT have picked Bentsen.  Bentsen was not going to carry Texas for him.  Breaux, Graham, Shelby, Nunn, Hunt, Glenn, and Gephardt would have all been better picks for Dukakis, as would have been Lee Hamilton, who was the guy Dukakis liked the best.

I brought it up as a good point because Bensten did energize some voters short term and did help with the debates, which may have given Dukakis enough votes to tip Oregon and Washington in the idea that at least the vice president would be good
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 10:25:33 PM »

If anything Bentsen completely outclassed Dukakis and made him look even more like a joke
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 01:22:01 AM »

Dukakis had a viable path to victory, yes. It relied on him being a good candidate compared to H.W. Bush, who was a lackluster candidate. Bush had the benefit of Reagan's popularity, but wasn't very charismatic himself. Dukakis needed to take advantage of that & run a better, more relatable campaign.

Bush still was in an enviable electoral position, so I wouldn't quite say that Dukakis' loss represents screwing up, so much as just not playing well enough. I'd assign the loss to Bush being in a strong position combined with Dukakis' campaign not being close to good enough.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies