Worst U.S. state to live in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:04:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Worst U.S. state to live in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Worst U.S. state to live in  (Read 2860 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2019, 05:36:39 PM »

The answer is objectively Alaska due to the miserable cold- unless you could afford to have it as only a summer home

Guaranteed lack of miserable heat, also nice landscape, and that Permanent Fund thanks to the oil.

Anchorage and the Panhandle aren't even that cold, either.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »

The answer is objectively Alaska due to the miserable cold- unless you could afford to have it as only a summer home

Guaranteed lack of miserable heat, also nice landscape, and that Permanent Fund thanks to the oil.

The average high in Anchorage in January is 22 degrees- no thank you!  I wouldn't want to live somewhere that regularly sees sub-40 high temperatures in the winter.  We get cold occasionally, but we usually can count on at least one 60-70 degree day a week, even in the middle of winter.  Winter gets depressing without that.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2019, 09:37:22 AM »

The average high in Anchorage in January is 22 degrees- no thank you!  I wouldn't want to live somewhere that regularly sees sub-40 high temperatures in the winter.  We get cold occasionally, but we usually can count on at least one 60-70 degree day a week, even in the middle of winter.  Winter gets depressing without that.

Then why single out Alaska if your threshold for dealing with weather is that low?
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2019, 02:32:28 PM »

You just ruled out half the US
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 01:04:12 PM »

I'd say Oklahoma. Too many Bible thumpers and being located in Tornado Alley, no thank you! I can't imagine a state that has produced deplorables such as James Inhofe, Tom Coburn, and Mary Fallin would be worth residing in. (I do love Oklahoma City though for giving us Kendra Horn and showing us that there is still some hope left in the Sooner State!)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »

North Dakota
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2019, 01:05:13 AM »

MI and WI, manufacturing aside from automobiles, has decimated the states
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2019, 06:57:31 PM »

North Dakota
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2019, 01:19:36 AM »

States like the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, etc are all incredibly cheap to live in. If you've got a decent amount of money you can buy a mcmansion and live quite comfortably. And I like the cold, so Alaska's still on the table. The worst state would be one that is simultaneously expensive like California, boring like North Dakota, hot/humid like Mississippi, flat like Kansas, prone to natural disasters like Louisiana, and populated by insane meth addicts like West Virginia.

So definitely Florida.
John Henry Eden
Rookie
Uganda

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2019, 08:40:52 PM »

Anywhere with no cheerwine soda
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »

States like the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, etc are all incredibly cheap to live in. If you've got a decent amount of money you can buy a mcmansion and live quite comfortably. And I like the cold, so Alaska's still on the table. The worst state would be one that is simultaneously expensive like California, boring like North Dakota, hot/humid like Mississippi, flat like Kansas, prone to natural disasters like Louisiana, and populated by insane meth addicts like West Virginia.

So definitely Florida.

10,000%
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2019, 08:18:29 PM »

I've tried that stuff, it's hard to find here in New Jersey. But I agree, it's pretty good. Is it that common in some states?
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2019, 09:02:08 PM »

Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2019, 01:28:11 PM »

Alaska because of the brutal cold and lack of sunlight
Hawaii because of its isolation
North Dakota because it’s a box of grass
Vermont because of isolation and hippies
California for the cost of living and earthquakes
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2019, 07:29:43 PM »

map of states I would live in: red Rockies, FL, DC and IL
map of states I never want to live in: blue everywhere else

Lol, earthquakes are overrated, I have never experienced one.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2019, 08:25:29 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2019, 08:44:33 PM by Goldwater »

Then why single out Alaska if your threshold for dealing with weather is that low?

That's actually a fair point. As someone who has the same weather preferences as ER, there are quite a few states that are too cold for me, so I suppose something else would really have to be the deciding factor.

So, someplace that is cold, doesn't have any major cities, and has boring landscapes... Maybe North Dakota?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2019, 09:04:03 PM »

Indiana
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2019, 11:28:17 AM »

Pshhh.

Anyway, this got me thinking if there were any quantifiable ways to look at this ... it's pretty hard to pick one metric, and nearly all of them involve some type of subjectivity, but here is how USA Today ranked the bottom ten states in 2019:

50. Mississippi
49. West Virginia
48. Louisiana
47. Alabama
46. Kentucky
45. Arkansas
44. Oklahoma
43. New Mexico
42. Tennessee
41. South Carolina
40. Indiana

Some of these would be pretty damn skewed by certain areas, IMO ... for example, what does Alabama look like if you exclude the Black Belt?  Living in Nashville or the surrounding suburbs would be extremely different from Appalachian Tennessee, also.  Indiana continues to shock me that it ranks so low on lists like these, as it seems like a pretty nice state.  Also, for fun, here were the top ten:

10. Utah
9. Vermont
8. Maryland
7. Hawaii
6. New Jersey
5. Minnesota
4. Colorado
3. Connecticut
2. New Hampshire
1. Massachusetts

These seem about as equally debatable, IMO ... I'd wager a state like CT ranks highly because it had affluent and employable people moving there decades ago, and its forward trajectory and/or current state wouldn't really reflect it being the third best place to live.  Similarly, Maryland strikes me as a state whose potential problems will always be "covered up" on a list like this due to its proximity to DC.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2019, 11:54:43 PM »

You could afford to have it only as a summer home.. so what is your point?  And Santander and the other abortionists are right.. Anchorage and the panhandle aren't that cold.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2019, 11:57:34 PM »

You could afford to have it only as a summer home.. so what is your point?  And Santander and the other abortionists are right.. Anchorage and the panhandle aren't that cold.

I wouldn't trust a Minnesotan' s opinion on "not that cold". Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2019, 02:30:01 AM »

Weird that winter would be... [squints] "below freezing".
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2019, 07:12:38 AM »

WV, as #hickland.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2019, 12:25:14 PM »

Worst US state to live in is Alaska.  Best is Hawaii.  Not difficult.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2019, 02:53:53 PM »

Worst US state to live in is Alaska.  Best is Hawaii.  Not difficult.

Single issue voter in favor of warm weather? I can respect that. Wink
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2019, 05:32:34 PM »

Weird that winter would be... [squints] "below freezing".

OK, I think a place that has what you would view as a real winter isn't a good place to live.  It's fine to have different views on this, but, either way, Alaska would be extreme.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies