Regarding Personal Attacks (2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:31:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regarding Personal Attacks (2)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regarding Personal Attacks (2)  (Read 934 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2019, 01:01:12 AM »

I reflected on whether the “Enough is Enough” thread should be deleted or not during the afternoon and decided to do so, mostly out of the belief that having a thread filled with rampant trolling and personal attacks that do cross the line warrants an intervention (some measured or responsible comments notwithstanding).

It is not my job to police Discord other than, I suppose, deleting inappropriate screenshots on this board.

However, as to what does fall under my powers I did report and infract some of Fhtagn’s posts (either because of trolling/personal attacks) there and elsewhere before deleting the thread. I did the same with some of Griffin’s because, the situation aside, personal attacks are still obviously not okay. Lastly, one of DeadPrez’s comments in another thread was modified to remove a clear personal attack as well.

This last part also goes for me (I’ll take action on that as well), but collectively we really need not only to relax, but act more responsibly.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:21:13 AM »

We need more sane people in the room, not less.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »

I know being a moderator is a thankless job -- thanks for doing what you do.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 06:48:22 PM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 07:34:23 PM »

Fair Lumine strikes again! Deletes an entire thread of mine containing damning darning evidence because of a few inappropriate posts (none of which were the original post and most of which were by someone else), yet merely edits the post of one of the terrorists [EDITED] and leaves his thread intact, resulting in only one side of the story remaining visible.

I agree with Yankee: resign and go back to spreading your bias through your newspaper instead!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 08:16:16 PM »

Fair Lumine strikes again! Deletes an entire thread of mine containing damning darning evidence because of a few inappropriate posts (none of which were the original post and most of which were by someone else), yet merely edits the post of one of the terrorists [EDITED] and leaves his thread intact, resulting in only one side of the story remaining visible.

I agree with Yankee: resign and go back to spreading your bias through your newspaper instead!

Nice taking me out of context.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 08:19:09 PM »

Quoting this because people aren't getting the message.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 08:20:15 PM »

Well, as I've said before there is a difference between a thread filled with trolling and personal attacks and one which, having a single personal attack, had that inappropiate comment then reported, infracted and then deleted. Nonetheless, I'd encourage anyone who feels a mistake has been made to contact the modadmins - or another mod - and raise the issue so it's appropiately dealt with.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 08:21:41 PM »

Lumine is a fantastic moderator and a good person - he is currently acting like an adult in a situation where in-game leaders are acting like petulant children.

we really need not only to relax, but act more responsibly.

^^^Emphasis!!
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 09:50:24 PM »

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 09:39:26 AM »

Possibly, but as someone already pointed out previously, I am
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 09:41:10 AM »

From my short time on these boards I've always seen Lumine take what seems to be action that are fair enough. He also has the decency to explain his actions and liaise with the forum which is a great to have.

You have a thankless task, Lumine. It's good to see the people thank you.
I would like to add to those voices.
So thank you!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 11:40:21 AM »

I was actually referring more to the modcave as in the past there have some less than fair mods.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 12:15:31 PM »

ok but none of us are sane considering we keep playing this game despite things like this happening frequently.....
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »

ok but none of us are sane considering we keep playing this game despite things like this happening frequently.....

True, but only a small number of players are repeatedly involved in things like this. Most of us are squeaky clean!

The thread was way too messy - good for Lumine!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 08:16:21 PM »

I wonder if we could get clarification as to where the line is with regard to trolling on this board? Having only glanced over the thread before it was deleted, I guess I'm just wondering how much is too much, or if you'd rather us stay away from satire/parody in general.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 01:07:37 AM »

I wonder if we could get clarification as to where the line is with regard to trolling on this board? Having only glanced over the thread before it was deleted, I guess I'm just wondering how much is too much, or if you'd rather us stay away from satire/parody in general.

If anything that would be my biggest fear, satire and parody is a major part of the game and losing it would be very much detrimental. That inevitably means the tolerance towards trolling is much higher here than in the rest of the forum - which is neceesary, I believe -, but I suppose the line is drawn when it involves something that also crosses another established line in a serious way (blatant racism, excessive personal abuse, and so on).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 01:28:38 AM »

I've never been actually offended by Lumine's satire, and I haven't seen anyone either be offended or see the satire as offensive. While the satire can portray the targets in somewhat unflattering ways, it is more funny than insulting and does not go too far in making people feel bad about themselves. The satire usually raises legitimate points and in life generally but especially in a political game people need to accept they will be criticized sometimes. So I have faith Lumine will be able to continue to get it right in future.

That said, I do think we would benefit from having clarification with regards to moderation, especially since people have had trouble understanding legitimate moderation choices recently, and clearer and public standards would ensure greater confidence in moderation decisions and hopefully reduce bad behavior.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies