S.19.2-2: Amended Firearm Education Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:38:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.2-2: Amended Firearm Education Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.19.2-2: Amended Firearm Education Act (Passed)  (Read 2876 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2019, 03:04:38 PM »
« edited: May 17, 2019, 03:35:50 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

Amended Firearm Education Act
Be it enacted:
1.) Each local school board The government of the southern Region shall determine policy related to the presence of firearms on school property within the essence of Article I (Bill of Rights) section 7 of the constitution of Atlasia(1). except that no person who may lawfully carry a firearm shall be prohibited from carrying a firearm when driving onto a parking lot or student drop off area, provided the person carrying the firearm never exits their vehicle.
2.) It is the position of the Southern Region that local schools would be an ideal place to instruct children on firearm safety. Local school-boards are encouraged to allow include firearm safety and training groups access to school facilities after hours or on weekends to teach the safe handling and use of firearms.
3.) It is the position of the Southern Region that during open hunting season, local school districts should not prohibit high school students who may lawfully carry a firearm and who hold a valid hunting permit from storing an unloaded hunting weapon in their vehicle, while on school property.
4.) A demonstration program regional funded program is set up regionwide is hereby approved for the Enterprise School District in Alabama, to allow high schools to offer firearm marksmen classes as part of an optional required 1 credit part of the curriculum during Physical education or free periods. The Southern Region shall transfer 10 1,000 rifles, 2 800 shotguns, and 5 500 pistols for the demonstration program, provided from the Regional Budget Office.
5.) This act shall take effect one year from after the governor signs the bill. the date of passage.

(1) https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Article_I_of_the_Fourth_Constitution
Sponsor: Matthew27
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 04:57:52 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2019, 05:06:04 PM by Southern Delegate matthew27 »

Members of the house of delegates this bill is planted in the proud traditions of the south with the idea of educating children in the skill of marksmanship and granting them their god given right to defend themselves within our schools from violent animals that wish to do them harm. This bill expands the demonstration program region-wide and requires 1 cr hour within high school learning to use a firearm as part of an basic education within our south.

The benefits are many including getting rid of safe spaces for mass killers that think they can murder as many people as possible and a much more able population capable of joining the army to defend our great republic. But last but not least this is part of the proud traditions of the south that has been stolen away from our children and we're hear to bring that back.

And I don't think individuals schools trump the constitution and shouldn't be able to stop people from having guns or learning about them.

PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »

I oppose this legislation on the grounds that our schools are not the place to teach our kids about firearms. Rather, training should be a requirement when obtaining a license for a firearm.

I also oppose it on the grounds that it should not be a required part of the curriculum. Students should not be forced to learn about handling a firearm if it has nothing to do with their career choice, or if they have moral objections to using a weapon.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 06:55:07 PM »

As far as distribution of the specified number of guns, would you be willing to consider an amendment prioritizing the distribution to poorer school districts? I'd hate for the rich preppy schools who already have adequate funding and grant writers to get all the guns.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 07:27:44 PM »

As far as distribution of the specified number of guns, would you be willing to consider an amendment prioritizing the distribution to poorer school districts? I'd hate for the rich preppy schools who already have adequate funding and grant writers to get all the guns.

Yes, I'll work on the amendment in order to give more monetary support to poorer schools.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 08:02:56 PM »

Surely requiring all students to take such a course would constitute a violation of the rights of Quakers and pacifists? Of course, rolling back local autonomy is awful in its own right.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »

Surely requiring all students to take such a course would constitute a violation of the rights of Quakers and pacifists? Of course, rolling back local autonomy is awful in its own right.

Would it be more acceptable if the student could have an option to take something else if it goes against their personal belief or religious beliefs???
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 08:21:38 PM »

I oppose this legislation on the grounds that our schools are not the place to teach our kids about firearms. Rather, training should be a requirement when obtaining a license for a firearm.

On this point, there really is no difference between taking a firearm safety and training course in school vs taking one privately. Schools would make it more accessible, ensuring more people are responsible about firearm safety.

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »

required?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 08:57:06 PM »

The original bill was fine tbh. Doesn't really seem necessary to amend it.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 12:44:06 AM »

Not a fan of rolling back local control, or requiring this, and I definitely find it quite a leap to say that choosing not to teach gun safety in schools is somehow unconstitutional or would "stop people from having guns or learning about them."

Learning how to be safe with guns is a good idea, but I think the original bill already does that, right? If anything I guess more detail could be added to it--specifying what "encouraged" means and that parents can opt out of it, or something like that.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 01:07:54 AM »

Not a fan of rolling back local control, or requiring this, and I definitely find it quite a leap to say that choosing not to teach gun safety in schools is somehow unconstitutional or would "stop people from having guns or learning about them."

Learning how to be safe with guns is a good idea, but I think the original bill already does that, right? If anything I guess more detail could be added to it--specifying what "encouraged" means and that parents can opt out of it, or something like that.

The original bill allowed such programs, but didn't fund it outside of one school in Alabama and kept it optional without any funding for the others. This bill grants funding to all schools and makes it part of physical education requirement. I agree with you that some more detail is needed on who can opt out for religious or personal reasons and will probably ask for an amendment to do that after the current one is added to the bill.

matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 05:45:06 PM »

I ask the speaker for these amendments.

4.2 Regional monetary support shall aid poorer schools allowing an efficient number of guns and support staff to fulfill the objectives of this bill. The purpose of this is richer schools that have larger budgets shall get less regional support, while poorer schools that need the extra support shall get more to cover cost.

4.3 Students that have an moral or religious objection to guns shall be allowed to seek other means to gain the 1 cr hour of physical education.

4.4 The other means shall be up to the teacher or the school.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 12:12:23 AM »

Bill with the amendments requested by Delegate Matthew27

Be it enacted:
1.) Each local school board The government of the southern Region shall determine policy related to the presence of firearms on school property within the essence of Article I (Bill of Rights) section 7 of the constitution of Atlasia(1). except that no person who may lawfully carry a firearm shall be prohibited from carrying a firearm when driving onto a parking lot or student drop off area, provided the person carrying the firearm never exits their vehicle.
2.) It is the position of the Southern Region that local schools would be an ideal place to instruct children on firearm safety. Local school-boards are encouraged to allow include firearm safety and training groups access to school facilities after hours or on weekends to teach the safe handling and use of firearms.
3.) It is the position of the Southern Region that during open hunting season, local school districts should not prohibit high school students who may lawfully carry a firearm and who hold a valid hunting permit from storing an unloaded hunting weapon in their vehicle, while on school property.
4.1) A demonstration program regional funded program is set up regionwide is hereby approved for the Enterprise School District in Alabama, to allow high schools to offer firearm marksmen classes as part of an optional required 1 credit part of the curriculum during Physical education or free periods. The Southern Region shall transfer 10 1,000 rifles, 2 800 shotguns, and 5 500 pistols for the demonstration program, provided from the Regional Budget Office.
4.2 Regional monetary support shall aid poorer schools allowing an efficient number of guns and support staff to fulfill the objectives of this bill. The purpose of this is richer schools that have larger budgets shall get less regional support, while poorer schools that need the extra support shall get more to cover cost.
4.3 Students that have an moral or religious objection to guns shall be allowed to seek other means to gain the 1 cr hour of physical education.

5.) This act shall take effect one year from after the governor signs the bill. the date of passage.

(1) https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Article_I_of_the_Fourth_Constitution

I give this bill in principle support.
I'm not sure tho that this should be a required part of the curriculum (as seen in 4.1) but i'm not averse to this given the right to bear arms.

Actually you raise a good point, I’d be very supportive of this if parents had an opt out for this to give people personal choice.
I concur with the governor.

I'd also like to say it's great that the delegates from Mississippi have been leading the way with the legislative agenda. Good work Matthew27.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 01:33:15 AM »

Thank you follow Mississippian.

Our right to own firearms is one of the few rights we do have and I don't want a local school board limiting it. In essence with the shall not be infringed right in the constitution belongs at the highest level and not in the hands of some liberal on some local school board.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 06:10:45 AM »

Our right to own firearms is one of the few rights we do have and I don't want a local school board limiting it. In essence with the shall not be infringed right in the constitution belongs at the highest level and not in the hands of some liberal on some local school board.

Electing to teach other things instead of firearm safety =/= infringing on the right to responsible gun ownership, and you're really distorting "the right to bear arms" by characterizing it as "the requirement to teach how to bear arms to every kid." Not saying this bill is even a bad idea, but it should be discussed on it's merits instead of on the merits of a radically revisionist framework of constitutional rights.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 12:40:27 AM »

This legislation infringes too much on the operations of local school boards. I cannot support this legislation.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 04:24:24 AM »

This legislation infringes too much on the operations of local school boards. I cannot support this legislation.

I am willing to back down from the transfer of power from local to regional as long as the alabama program goes regional with the funding stated in the current bill.

matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 04:37:31 AM »

Some amendments. Lets just say that if they wish not to have these programs they won't get this money and this is very constitutional.

1.) Each local school boards and the government of the southern Region shall determine policy related to the presence of firearms on school property within the essence of Article I (Bill of Rights) section 7 of the constitution of Atlasia(1).  
1.5) The regional government shall dole out cash based on the needs of the local school board which shall determine the method best to teach gun education.  

2.) It is the position of the Southern Region that local schools would be an ideal place to instruct children on firearm safety. Local school-boards are granted money by the regional government so they can teach firearm safety and allow training groups access to school facilities after hours or on weekends to teach the safe handling and use of firearms.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 04:57:23 AM »

Bill with the additional amendments requested by Delegate Matthew27

Be it enacted:
1.) Each local school boards and the government of the Southern region shall determine policy related to the presence of firearms on school property within the essence of Article I (Bill of Rights) section 7 of the constitution of Atlasia(1)
1.5) The regional government shall dole out cash based on the needs of the local school board which shall determine the method best to teach gun education.

2.) It is the position of the Southern Region that local schools would be an ideal place to instruct children on firearm safety. Local school-boards are granted money by the regional government so they can teach firearm safety and allow training groups access to school facilities after hours or on weekends to teach the safe handling and use of firearms.
4.1) A regional funded program is set up to allow high schools to offer firearm marksmen classes as part of a required 1 credit part of the curriculum during Physical education or free periods. The Southern Region shall transfer 1,000 rifles, 800 shotguns, and 500 pistols for the program, provided from the Regional Budget Office.
5.) This act shall take effect after the governor signs the bill.

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »

this is more reasonable.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 05:22:20 PM »

It still says the classes would be required.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 07:49:28 PM »

I'll work on another amendment saying that they're required if they take the money.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 07:51:04 PM »

4.1) A regional funded program is set up to allow high schools to offer firearm marksmen classes as part of a required 1 credit part of the curriculum during Physical education or free periods. The Southern Region shall transfer 1,000 rifles, 800 shotguns, and 500 pistols for the program, provided from the Regional Budget Office.
4.15 Required only if receiving regional money as part of this bill otherwise a school can opt out.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 04:51:09 AM »

4.1)... The Southern Region shall transfer 1,000 rifles, 800 shotguns, and 500 pistols for the program, provided from the Regional Budget Office.

I was intending to bring this up earlier but are these numbers too specific? I mean this is for a region wide scheme, surely simply funding for the program with a ratio of firearms would be sufficient. Delegate Matthew27, what do you see as the firearm per lesson ratio?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies