Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2019, 06:43:50 am
News: 2020 Presidential Predictions (General) are now active.

Atlas Forum
  About this Site
  The Atlas
  Updating the Most Recent Post of a Topic no Longer "Bumps" the Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Updating the Most Recent Post of a Topic no Longer "Bumps" the Thread  (Read 614 times)
Sorenroy
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2019, 04:10:05 pm »

I noticed this update my rolling polling thread. I don't like making extraneous threads so I just slipped in an edit with the new information. However, it did not bring the thread back to the first page like it normally would've. Not sure why this was changed, or if it was an accident that has to do with other changes to the forum, but I personally would like to see it reverted. Not only for the sake of my own posts, but because if someone edits the most recent comment, there is new recent material to look at.
Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 06:42:38 pm »

Threads were never able to be bumped through editing an existing post in the thread. The board's topic index has always been sorted based on stickied posts, threads with new posts, newest -> oldest threads

I even went through the original MessageIndex.php from a clean, unmodified version of SMF 1.1.21 and confirmed there are no references to sorting thread listings by the last modified time of any post in that thread.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 10:03:23 pm »

It used to say "New" though if you edited it, right?   Does it still do that?
Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 10:55:55 pm »

It used to say "New" though if you edited it, right?   Does it still do that?

Testing on a clean forum install didn't reproduce that behavior either. At the very least, scenarios in which the label appears do not include simply editing a post in the thread and nothing more.
muon2
Modadmin
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 10:09:12 am »
« Edited: May 02, 2019, 10:12:22 am by muon2 »

I found that historically there was one type of edit that would bump a thread on a board. That was an edit to the last post on the thread. Such an edit would show the latest post of the thread on the board equal to the time stamp of the edit.

One other bumping behavior that seems to have changed is the position of the thread on screen after posting. If it was a new post it would place the screen with the top of the new post at the top of the screen, but now the top of the new post is at the bottom of the screen.

I tested that on this post, and note that modifying it placed the top of the post at the top of the screen, even though the original post was at the bottom of the screen.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies