S.19.2-4: Expanding 1st amend article II speech rights to social media (Tabled) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:16:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.2-4: Expanding 1st amend article II speech rights to social media (Tabled) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.19.2-4: Expanding 1st amend article II speech rights to social media (Tabled)  (Read 2636 times)
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« on: May 01, 2019, 09:03:35 PM »
« edited: May 01, 2019, 09:11:26 PM by Southern Delegate matthew27 »

Well, brothers and sisters we  over the past couple of decades have found ourselves living in a society increasingly relying on massive social networking and "public" social media to do business and to discuss ideas that effect the course of our republic. And this means for us officials in government it is high time to fight for our citizens article II freedom of speech over which is now considered by society the same as the street corner down the street. It is within my and quite a few legal experts opinions that Facebook, youtubes and twitter has abused my voters freedom of speech and effected billions of dollars of our economy and this simply can NOT be ignored by this delegates of ours. Speech that isn't violent and doesn't break laws should be protected no matter how ugly it maybe.

To not evolve speech protection is to live in the 18th century and to act like billions of people don't live their lives as people of that century once did expressing their ideas on the street corner or at the local bar down the street.

One Economic expert, jack stone said, "If we don't do something the speech of tens of millions will be effected costing the economy billions of dollars of economic growth".

matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 12:59:55 AM »

Platforms like facebook, twitter and youtube have hundreds of millions if not billions of members and I don't believe society can afford not to apply constitutional law to them as it would in general society. One group of ideas wouldn't be refused a platform on the street corner like this and I don't believe it should be online either. I am not talking about trolls, but banishment of entire political beliefs and ideology. The thing is who's to say that they won't all ban the republican party and any opinion held by it, while becoming 100% for the democratic party in the near future? I don't think that would be good for democracy or our south.

Maybe government should consider setting up social free zones online that would be covered by full first amendment rights? would that be a better solution?

I understand  your first point, but this would only cover citizens of the south kind of like how google, facebook and others have to respect the laws of the eu or another countries. They would have to follow their legal system and the south is no different. 
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 01:03:00 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2019, 01:11:37 AM by Southern Delegate matthew27 »

Asking for amendment

2.6 These requirements on social media shall only apply to the freedom of speech of the southern region and residence.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 01:23:17 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2019, 01:33:14 AM by Southern Delegate matthew27 »

Platforms like facebook, twitter and youtube have hundreds of millions if not billions of members and I don't believe society can afford not to apply constitutional law to them as it would in general society. One group of ideas wouldn't be refused a platform on the street corner like this and I don't believe it should be online either. I am not talking about trolls, but banishment of entire political beliefs and ideology. The thing is who's to say that they won't all ban the republican party and any opinion held by it, while becoming 100% for the democratic party in the near future? I don't think that would be good for democracy or our south.

Maybe government should consider setting up social free zones online that would be covered by full first amendment rights? would that be a better solution?

I understand  your first point, but this would only cover citizens of the south kind of like how google, facebook and others have to respect the laws of the eu or another countries. They would have to follow their legal system and the south is no different.  

What would your thinking be of setting up an southern region community free zone platform(call it street-corner.gov) that would be like an massive platform with the abilities of  Facebook and youtube. Such would protect speech and allow our people to interact without being threatened with being banned for their beliefs. It would be a public utility so would have the protections offered in the constitution.

This could be middle ground.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2019, 06:55:17 PM by Southern Delegate matthew27 »

I’m not entirely convinced it’s the role of the Southern Chamber or my job as Governor to be regulating that at a regional level. This probably is an argument that would be better handled at the Federal level. Delegate Leinad also made some compelling points on the matter. I think we’d have a difficult time enforcing this law and I urge it be introduced at a Federal level.

I agree. I also call on the president and congress to protect the free speech of our citizens.

This is bs that everyone on the right is being banned. What's next anyone that believes in basic conservative beliefs or closed borders? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqlfwV4BA8
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »

Seconded the motion for the federal government to do its job and protect the speech of its citizens.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 02:57:26 PM »

Perhaps there should be a move to table this legislation?

Yeah lets table the bill, but it's a real shame the south couldn't do anything as this is a national issue that needs to be handled by the president and congress.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 05:27:49 PM »

Arguably, this is a worse bill than anything ASV or Suburban NJ Conservative has put out there.
That's a bit of a dramatic statement and I guarantee you probably already know that.
IDK about that one the three federalist up and comers hopefully shape up soon!

I was elected to fight for my voters and that is what I am attempting to do. They're being banned and silenced left and right.

What should I do? Just stand their and get voted out of office in july?
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 02:19:17 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2019, 02:23:49 AM by Southern Delegate matthew27 »

What's the point of freedom and freedom of speech if not for allowing basic discussion of "negative" ideas and areas that make people outset. What makes some dictators upset in countries like North Korea, China and Cuba get cracked down on in much the same way the only difference is in this case it is liberal social media doing it. Even I fear of  being banned on social media for just being pro-limited immigration, enforcing our laws on illegals and for being a supporter of republican ideals. Every inch we give has allowed liberals to slowly move the goal post further and further to the left and one day we may wake up to the basic every day supporters of our president being banned from billion member social media sites.

I have every right to fear for our freedom and you should too. Most of our world isn't free and one of the few freedoms worth fighting for is staring us in the face.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 02:26:59 AM »

I am glad we could have basic discussion about the issue and now the bill will be tabled.

matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 03:43:06 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2019, 03:48:03 AM by Southern Delegate matthew27 »

Here is some interesting news out of texas.

May 4
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04/23/texas-senate-bill-lets-state-sue-social-media-companies/
Texas bill would allow state to sue social media companies like Facebook and Twitter over free speech
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 06:12:04 PM »

• aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies