S.19.2-5: STEM in school supply enhancement act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:54:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.2-5: STEM in school supply enhancement act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.19.2-5: STEM in school supply enhancement act (Statute)  (Read 1274 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2019, 05:52:03 PM »
« edited: May 20, 2019, 04:59:41 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

STEM in school supply enhancement act

Section 1: Title:
1.1. This long title of this bill shall be the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math In School Supply Enhancement Act.
1.2. The standard title of this bill shall be the STEM In School Supply Enhancement Act.
1.3. The short title of this bill shall be the STEMISSEA.
1.4. "STEMISSEA" roughly rhymes with the state of "Tennessee."

Section 2: Objectives and Definitions
2.1. STEM shall be any subject that deals with science, tech, engineering and math.
2.2. The regional government of the South aims to grant our children the necessary equipment in order to get an high-quality education in STEM.
2.3. All schools kindergarten through 12th grade, in addition to homeschooling families that meet regional educational standards applicable to homeschooling with a household income less than twice the federal poverty threshold in a year, will be granted the necessary supplies and infrastructure the teachers and children need to learn STEM.
2.4. The supplies for example will be new text books, computers, and other means to enhance the learning environment.
2.5. Such supplies shall be up to the school board at the local level.

Section 3: Funding
3.1. Funding shall be 1 billion dollars yearly on top of the current educational budget of the South.
3.2. Funding shall go to schools that need new text books, computers, and tools to learn the subjects of STEM.
3.3. Funding shall be 80 million dollars per year to support field trips and outside of the school school STEM activities.
3.4. Regional monetary support shall aid poorer schools allowing an efficient amount of monetary support to fulfill the objectives of this bill. The purpose of this is richer schools that have larger budgets shall get less regional support, while poorer school that need the extra support shall get more to cover cost.

Section 4: STEM field Trips
4.1. All schools will receive money for 2 yearly STEM field trips.
4.2. Those field Trips for example can be to NASA, NSF, NOAA, or any of the national laboratories and museum dealing with science or tech.

Section 5: Bill taking effect
5.1. This act shall take effect after the governor signs the bill.
Sponsor: matthew27
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 02:39:45 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2019, 02:44:20 PM by Southern Delegate matthew27 »

I campaigned on better schools and leadership in science for our south. This bill is a good first step in doing exactly that as I feel that our children need text books, science labs equipment, computers, etc in order to do the subject and succeed. Theirs a lot of very poor schools throughout the south and this would seriously go along ways towards granting millions of children a chance at the middle class within our south which would enhance our economy.

The 1 billion would come out of our surplus and I believe spending some of that towards science, tech and math educational "infrastructure" would be a good use of the money.

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:58:56 AM »

Like the idea! As is it seems like a pretty good bill, but off the top of my head we could add:

-maybe some tie-ins to other things? Like trips to NASA places in the region (e.g. Cape Canaveral, Houston, Huntsville) or something like that.
-perhaps add something about making sure schools get funded fairly, so the preppy ones don't get the top-of-the-line iTechProBook Xs while the poor ones are stuck with potatos.
-does every school in the South teach climate change?
-perhaps more detail on what "other means" is and a definition of STEM (it needs to be #lawyerproof, y'know Tongue)?

Through more thoughts at me and I'll try to get an amendment up tonight.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 12:42:29 AM »

Like the idea! As is it seems like a pretty good bill, but off the top of my head we could add:

-maybe some tie-ins to other things? Like trips to NASA places in the region (e.g. Cape Canaveral, Houston, Huntsville) or something like that.
-perhaps add something about making sure schools get funded fairly, so the preppy ones don't get the top-of-the-line iTechProBook Xs while the poor ones are stuck with potatos.
-perhaps more detail on what "other means" is and a definition of STEM (it needs to be #lawyerproof, y'know Tongue)?

I like the spirit you have in relation to this bill. Visits to NASA sites is a stupendous idea especially.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:51:37 AM »

Here is a few amendments towards Leinads thinking above. The bolded "numbers" are the amendments added or changed in someway.

Section 1: Title: STEM in school supply enhancement act
Section 2: Objectives
2.1 The regional government of the south aims to grant our children the necessary equipment in order to get an high-quality education in science, math and computers.
2.2 All k through 12 schools will be granted the necessary supplies and infrastructure the teachers and children need to learn science, tech, engineering and math within all southern schools.

2.25 STEM shall be any subject that deals with science, tech, engineering and math.

2.3 The supplies for example will be new text books, computers, and other means to enhance the learning environment.

2.4 Such supplies and other means shall be up to the school board and the educator at the local level.

3.1   Funding shall be 1 billion dollars yearly ontop of the current educational budget of the south.
3.2   Funding shall go to schools that need new text books, computers and tools to learn the subjects of stem.

3.3 Funding shall be 80 million dollars per year to support field trips and outside of the school stem activities.
3.4 Regional monetary support shall aid poorer schools allowing an efficient amount of monetary support and support staff to fulfill the objectives of this bill. The purpose of this is richer schools that have larger budgets shall get less regional support, while poorer schools that need the extra support shall get more to cover cost.
Section 4: Stem field Trips
4.1 All schools will receive money for 2 yearly stem field trips.
4.2 Those field Trips for example can be to nasa, nsf, noaa, or any of the national laboratories and museum dealing with science or tech.

Section 4 5: Bill taking effect
 This act shall take effect after the governor signs the bill.

Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 04:41:17 AM »

I would like to see something to help those in the homeschooling community.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 03:34:58 PM »

Some amendments to make the bill more pro home schooling

Section 1: Title: STEM in school supply enhancement act

Section 2: Objectives
2.1 The regional government of the south aims to grant our children the necessary equipment in order to get an high-quality education in science, math and computers.
2.2 All k through 12 schools will be granted the necessary supplies and infrastructure the teachers and children need to learn science, tech, engineering and math within all southern schools.

2.25 STEM shall be any subject that deals with science, tech, engineering and math.

2.3 The supplies for example will be new text books, computers, and other means to enhance the learning environment.

2.4 Such supplies shall be up to the school board or the educator at the local level or parent at home.

3.1   Funding shall be 1 billion dollars yearly ontop of the current educational budget of the south.
3.2   Funding shall go to schools and parents that need new text books, computers and tools to learn the subjects of stem.

3.3 Funding shall be 80 million dollars per year to support field trips and outside of the school or home school stem activities.
3.4 Regional monetary support shall aid poorer schools or parents allowing an efficient amount of monetary support and support staff to fulfill the objectives of this bill. The purpose of this is richer schools or parents that have larger budgets shall get less regional support, while poorer school or parents that need the extra support shall get more to cover cost.
Section 4: Stem field Trips
4.1 All schools or home schools will receive money for 2 yearly stem field trips.
4.2 Those field Trips for example can be to nasa, nsf, noaa, or any of the national laboratories and museum dealing with science or tech.
Section 4 5: Bill taking effect
 This act shall take effect after the governor signs the bill.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 10:37:50 PM »

Did you mean throw? (sorry this confused me for a bit)
Good point about "other means".
Did you have any amendments?

Also Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics aren't mentioned as what STEM is in this bill. Maybe it should be stated explicitly. The bill talks about "science, math and computers." Which are related to STEM obviously.

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 12:40:07 AM »

O know eye said "through," whale, at least that's a very rare mistake four me two make, and win I due it in front of people their going to offer they're objections, sow it's naught that much off a problem. Smiley

(Dreadful joke aside I was maybe already thinking about the word "thought?" Brain fart either way lol.)

I think that amendment addresses the key stuff--what I addressed that will realistically pass this chamber and is definitely needed.

I think another amendment should probably be added to the homeschooling bits so that it's not as much of an "anything goes" thing. Homeschooling can be a good thing that can work for some kids well if it's done right, but sometimes it's too much indoctrination or just managed very poorly and unless the kids can get a better education on the internet (some do, although that has it's own issues) that's going to leave them behind as adults. For that reason I'd like to make it more balanced on the issue (also I'm going to redo the formatting because why not?):

STEM in school supply enhancement act

Section 1: Title:
1.1. This long title of this bill shall be the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math In School Supply Enhancement Act.
1.2. The standard title of this bill shall be the STEM In School Supply Enhancement Act.
1.3. The short title of this bill shall be the STEMISSEA.
1.4. "STEMISSEA" roughly rhymes with the state of "Tennessee."

Section 2: Objectives and Definitions
2.1. STEM shall be any subject that deals with science, tech, engineering and math.
2.2. The regional government of the South aims to grant our children the necessary equipment in order to get an high-quality education in STEM.
2.3. All schools kindergarten through 12th grade, in addition to homeschooling families that meet regional educational standards applicable to homeschooling with a household income less than twice the federal poverty threshold in a year, will be granted the necessary supplies and infrastructure the teachers and children need to learn STEM.
2.4. The supplies for example will be new text books, computers, and other means to enhance the learning environment.
2.5. Such supplies shall be up to the school board at the local level.

3.1. Funding shall be 1 billion dollars yearly on top of the current educational budget of the South.
3.2. Funding shall go to schools that need new text books, computers, and tools to learn the subjects of STEM.
3.3. Funding shall be 80 million dollars per year to support field trips and outside of the school school STEM activities.
3.4. Regional monetary support shall aid poorer schools allowing an efficient amount of monetary support to fulfill the objectives of this bill. The purpose of this is richer schools that have larger budgets shall get less regional support, while poorer school that need the extra support shall get more to cover cost.

Section 4: STEM field Trips
4.1. All schools will receive money for 2 yearly STEM field trips.
4.2. Those field Trips for example can be to NASA, NSF, NOAA, or any of the national laboratories and museum dealing with science or tech.

Section 5: Bill taking effect
5.1. This act shall take effect after the governor signs the bill.

Bold text is the thing I actually changed (adding qualifiers for income and educational standards), I made other changes but it's just the title section, subjective aesthetic decisions, and pedantic capitalization/grammar.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 02:55:52 PM »

Thank you Leinad for your hard work and amendment. I believe this bill is ready to vote on.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 07:06:42 PM »

You're welcome! Also seconded!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 06:39:21 PM »

I third this motion.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 06:39:33 PM »

Final vote. 48 hours.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 06:40:03 PM »

Aye
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 06:40:46 PM »

Aye
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 04:10:21 AM »

AYE
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 11:30:16 PM »

Aye
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 02:01:47 AM »

Aye
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 02:09:07 AM »

VOTING IS CLOSED

S.19.2-5
Final Vote Tally
[ 5 ] Aye
[ 0 ] Nay
[ 0 ] Abstain
[ 2 ] Absent
Pages: [1]