Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:28:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 93167 times)
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 22, 2019, 04:13:59 AM »

IMO, Avengers Endgame was a well made movie but was a terrible sequel to Infinity War that narratively did more damage than good
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #551 on: September 22, 2019, 09:21:14 AM »

People at large, including almost all users on Atlas, vastly underestimate how popular most of the progressive agenda is in suburbs.

Atlas still thinks that Medicare for all plays better in McDowell County, WV than in Fairfax County, VA.

It likely won’t play well in either county when Dems try to implement it . The next midterm will be a massive GOP wave .

Well, looks like Nostradamus has spoken
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #552 on: September 22, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2019, 11:24:57 AM by Badger »

People at large, including almost all users on Atlas, vastly underestimate how popular most of the progressive agenda is in suburbs.

Atlas still thinks that Medicare for all plays better in McDowell County, WV than in Fairfax County, VA.

It likely won’t play well in either county when Dems try to implement it . The next midterm will be a massive GOP wave .

Just like Medicare itself was so unpopular, am I right?

Though In fairness I'm more in favor of Mayor Pete's plan of Medicare for all who want it. Though I don't know why he doesnt phrase it as Medicare available for all. It rolls off the tongue much easier
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #553 on: September 24, 2019, 08:41:43 PM »

The impeachment thing may be overplayed. Two points I want more data on. One, how important is it really to voters? Like VA was against removing confederate stuff by a 20 point ish margin but still voted for Northam by 9 ish. Because while people agreed with the GOP on it, it was not that big of a deal. Two, I am among those high fifties to low sixties percent who don't want to see Trump impeached, for strategic reasons. I know other dems like me, I wonder what percent of the anti impeach movement is like that.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #554 on: September 24, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »

Middle school was slightly less unbearable than high school
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #555 on: September 24, 2019, 10:07:55 PM »

Middle school was slightly less unbearable than high school

I agree.
538Electoral

« Reply #556 on: September 27, 2019, 10:13:30 PM »

Warren won't do so well in the early primaries. I think CA has a decent chance of deciding the entire Democratic primaries. If Warren doesn't win CA it's probably over.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #557 on: September 28, 2019, 04:27:32 AM »

I think CA has a decent chance of deciding the entire Democratic primaries.

I agree
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #558 on: September 28, 2019, 04:28:31 PM »

Frenchrepublican isn't French
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #559 on: September 28, 2019, 05:02:03 PM »

Just change your profile pic already, dude.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #560 on: September 28, 2019, 06:02:04 PM »

In terms of songwriting and musicianship, the 1940s had better popular music than the 1960s.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #561 on: September 29, 2019, 02:53:33 AM »

Music these days, while not great, is nowhere near as god awful as many people say it is
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #562 on: September 29, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »

Music these days, while not great, is nowhere near as god awful as many people say it is

You’re right. It’s far worse. We should bring back the talent of the 80’s
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #563 on: September 29, 2019, 11:44:30 PM »

Just change your profile pic already, dude.

I didn't realize supporting Medicare was such a "liberal" position in 2019. Roll Eyes
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #564 on: September 30, 2019, 01:04:42 AM »

Iceland's policy on downs syndrome should be applied elsewhere.

I'll see that take and raise you the take that Iceland's treatment of Down Syndrome (my understanding is that it can't really be called a "policy") should attract the same level of opprobrium that China got for the one child policy.

One child policy at least makes sense pragmatically even if it is awful on moral and human rights grounds. What Iceland is doing is pure eugenics and pseudoscience.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #565 on: September 30, 2019, 12:24:36 PM »

New age atheism like Dawkins, Harris, the late Hitchens, Bill Maher, etc.. seem to becoming an increasingly right wing reactionary group in this day and age as opposed to the liberals they were branded as in the 2000s
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #566 on: September 30, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »

New age atheism like Dawkins, Harris, the late Hitchens, Bill Maher, etc.. seem to becoming an increasingly right wing reactionary group in this day and age as opposed to the liberals they were branded as in the 2000s

I would imagine if you did a poll atheists would demonstrate much more liberal views (at least on social issues) than religious people. There are probably more right wing atheists now just because there are more atheists. Obviously religious conservatives are not going to be atheists so they are going to be other right wing groups like libertarians or the alt right.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #567 on: September 30, 2019, 09:19:25 PM »

I would imagine if you did a poll atheists would demonstrate much more liberal views (at least on social issues) than religious people. There are probably more right wing atheists now just because there are more atheists. Obviously religious conservatives are not going to be atheists so they are going to be other right wing groups like libertarians or the alt right.

Atheists in the US do skew left, but most atheists aren't Dawkinsist-Harrisists. People who were "New Atheists" a decade ago have definitely found common cause with the right in terms of attitudes towards non-Western immigrants and refugees, and many are now also adopting increasingly reactionary views on issues between men and women, even though most of them are still pro-choice and pro-SSM.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #568 on: September 30, 2019, 09:35:22 PM »

Atheists in the US do skew left, but most atheists aren't Dawkinsist-Harrisists. People who were "New Atheists" a decade ago have definitely found common cause with the right in terms of attitudes towards non-Western immigrants and refugees, and many are now also adopting increasingly reactionary views on issues between men and women, even though most of them are still pro-choice and pro-SSM.
This. I wasn’t referring to atheists in general but to this brand of atheism that poped up in the 2000s that was big in being snobby, in your face, and anti-Bush/evangelist. But many of these people developed a hardon for Muslims to the point they became alt-right gateways. Like Sam Harris who went from “pwning” Affleck on Islam to now inviting Charles Murray onto his podcast to legitimately discuss the Bell Curve   
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #569 on: October 05, 2019, 12:15:49 AM »

If you go to a strip club, you should NOT seek out the hottest girl in the club for a private dance.

That "plain" or merely average looking girl? The reason she's there and making bank is she knows how to work with what she has. Her dance is far more likely to blow you away, one with model looks probably not only won't try as hard or even know how because she doesn't need to.

Oh yeah no matter how old you are, know this: a stripper well past 30 is going to be way more experienced than a college age one, and yes, that does matter as much as it does in other jobs. Even when I was in college I figured this out pretty early.

Been quite awhile since I've been to a strip club but I thought I'd drop this advice.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #570 on: October 05, 2019, 12:20:56 AM »

The etymology of the word "embarrassed" is way, way more #problematic than that of the word "ndly".
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #571 on: October 05, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »

Iceland's policy on downs syndrome should be applied elsewhere.

I'll see that take and raise you the take that Iceland's treatment of Down Syndrome (my understanding is that it can't really be called a "policy") should attract the same level of opprobrium that China got for the one child policy.

One child policy at least makes sense pragmatically even if it is awful on moral and human rights grounds. What Iceland is doing is pure eugenics and pseudoscience.

Y'all are hugely misinformed.

Iceland doesn't have a policy against Down syndrome. What they do have is a requirement that all expectant mothers must be informed about the availability of a screening test that reveals the likelihood of a child being born with Down syndrome.

That's it.

No, Iceland doesn't mandate abortions for mothers whose unborn children test positive for Down syndrome, & no, expectant mothers aren't even required to actually take that test in the first place. Only around 80-85% of pregnant women actually choose to take the prenatal screening test. The only difference between Iceland & a country like the U.S. is that a vast majority of Icelandic women (close to 100%) who received a positive test for Down syndrome chose to terminate their pregnancy, compared to only 68% in the U.S.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #572 on: October 05, 2019, 11:28:21 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2019, 11:50:39 PM by Chosen One Giuseppe Conte »

Well, yeah, that's why I objected to the use of the word "policy".

On further thought, I suppose faulting a country for a practice undertaken voluntarily by its populace isn't really a fair analogue to faulting a country for a practice coerced by its authoritarian government. Thus, I'd further amend my observation to say that this is a practice that should cause us to take a serious look at ourselves and the way we understand disability in our own societies.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #573 on: October 05, 2019, 11:44:32 PM »

If you go to a strip club, you should NOT seek out the hottest girl in the club for a private dance.

That "plain" or merely average looking girl? The reason she's there and making bank is she knows how to work with what she has. Her dance is far more likely to blow you away, one with model looks probably not only won't try as hard or even know how because she doesn't need to.

Oh yeah no matter how old you are, know this: a stripper well past 30 is going to be way more experienced than a college age one, and yes, that does matter as much as it does in other jobs. Even when I was in college I figured this out pretty early.

Been quite awhile since I've been to a strip club but I thought I'd drop this advice.

Thanks bro
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #574 on: October 06, 2019, 09:09:15 PM »

Anyone who never eats vegetables because they think they never taste good either doesn't know how to cook them properly or is just too lazy to.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies