Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 08:19:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 96261 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: July 14, 2019, 08:07:53 PM »

Most people who complain about "tone policing" are just assholes who don't like other people telling them so. It's telling that the worst of both the left and right do this. Also, I've never heard anyone complain about the other side being "tone policed", only when it happens to them.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #401 on: July 15, 2019, 08:21:52 PM »

Regardless of your personal opinions about Parrotguy and his ability to accurately detect bigotry in others, his point about this site's general political leanings are correct.

While the site is left-leaning overall, it's important to note that:

A. It's not nearly as deep of a liberal echochamber as the people who frequently decry it as such make it out to be. There are many longstanding, well respected conservative members on the site and it's not actually that uncommon for the more conservative voices to start dominating particular threads at times.

B. Multiple left-leaning members have been banned, disciplined, and had their content moderated. Some people give off the impression that only right-leaning members get flagged for moderation, but this is patently false.

C. It's been getting somewhat less liberal recently as the alt-right is establishing more of a presence on the forum. There certainly seems to be a somewhat larger pro-Trump block around now then when I came here just a few years ago. Maybe that's just a faulty memory, but it certainly feels that way.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #402 on: July 17, 2019, 11:05:13 PM »

This one is my dad’s not sure if I agree, but he thinks Senator Graham is a closet gay.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #403 on: July 17, 2019, 11:08:03 PM »

This one is mine, I want a complete and total nazi to run for presidency as an independent with the armband, the hate speech, the hitler salutes, the whole nine yards, and blame Trump and say he is not with the white people etc, and siphon off a point or two from the republicans.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #404 on: July 18, 2019, 12:53:06 PM »

There is absolutely no way that Trump does not lose at least a few points in Coal Country from what he had in 2016, even if he once again wins it in a huge landslide.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #405 on: July 18, 2019, 12:58:31 PM »

This one is mine, I want a complete and total nazi to run for presidency as an independent with the armband, the hate speech, the hitler salutes, the whole nine yards, and blame Trump and say he is not with the white people etc, and siphon off a point or two from the republicans.

Have you considered that that Nazi could insight violence against minorities from his followers?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #406 on: July 18, 2019, 01:11:40 PM »

Have you considered that that Nazi could insight violence against minorities from his followers?

Thank you for this inciteful comment.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #407 on: July 18, 2019, 01:12:59 PM »

There is absolutely no way that Trump does not lose at least a few points in Coal Country from what he had in 2016, even if he once again wins it in a huge landslide.

I agree.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: July 18, 2019, 01:16:04 PM »

Yeah, but things are already so bad I'd be fine with making things worse for a few months in a valiant effort to make them better in the end.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #409 on: July 19, 2019, 02:35:51 AM »

Yeah, but things are already so bad I'd be fine with making things worse for a few months in a valiant effort to make them better in the end.

Congratulations. That post is simultaneously so white mayonnaise puts IT on White Bread, and simultaneously deserves the facepalm meme.

Think about what you're saying. I realize this is an extremely far-fetched idea, and you're just venting. Nevertheless, do you realize how it is minorities might die in order that the Republicans would lose an election?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #410 on: July 19, 2019, 09:10:58 AM »

Congratulations. That post is simultaneously so white mayonnaise puts IT on White Bread, and simultaneously deserves the facepalm meme.

Think about what you're saying. I realize this is an extremely far-fetched idea, and you're just venting. Nevertheless, do you realize how it is minorities might die in order that the Republicans would lose an election?

It's not just republicans losing an election, it is getting rid of Trump, something I value so much that if Trump was guaranteed to resign or lose reelection, I'd be willing to trade in my life for it. Make no mistake, Trump is an enemy and we need to push back against him, and with any push we have to expect losses, but know that the gain will be worth it in the end, and take the words of President Washington to heart "We Mutually Pledge To Each Other Our Lives, Our Fortunes And Our Sacred Honor" Make no mistake, another term of Trump will permanently alter our democracy and kill at least several thousand more through its policies. We have to see it as the threat it is, and be willing to push back, and even take severe losses. I actually shared this with my dad, and he completely agreed with me. We all have to be willing to sacrifice a lot as individuals and a community to rid us of Trump. And by the way, I proudly have Trump Derangement Syndrome.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #411 on: July 19, 2019, 09:54:25 AM »

It's not just republicans losing an election, it is getting rid of Trump, something I value so much that if Trump was guaranteed to resign or lose reelection, I'd be willing to trade in my life for it. Make no mistake, Trump is an enemy and we need to push back against him, and with any push we have to expect losses, but know that the gain will be worth it in the end, and take the words of President Washington to heart "We Mutually Pledge To Each Other Our Lives, Our Fortunes And Our Sacred Honor" Make no mistake, another term of Trump will permanently alter our democracy and kill at least several thousand more through its policies. We have to see it as the threat it is, and be willing to push back, and even take severe losses. I actually shared this with my dad, and he completely agreed with me. We all have to be willing to sacrifice a lot as individuals and a community to rid us of Trump. And by the way, I proudly have Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Hot (but Good & Popular) Take: Bagel's priorities are f**king messed up.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #412 on: July 19, 2019, 10:10:48 AM »

It’s insane to suggest you would rather die than have Trump be President, but okay. But you’d be okay with the political organization of a Nazi paramilitary group that you know would kill other people? It’s one thing to prioritize something over your own life, but, in my radical opinion, the lives of others should take foremost precedence over basically anything else.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #413 on: July 19, 2019, 12:53:02 PM »

Atlas WAY overrates the speed of "trends" (that often don't exist anyway).
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #414 on: July 19, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »

Trends have no speed. They happen once, and then for the next election, its a new statistically independent trend.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #415 on: July 19, 2019, 01:08:31 PM »

While trends are certainly not everything, observable ones over a long period have high predictive power. If anything, Atlas puts too much emphasis on past electoral margins - the expectation that an election is a one-off event and that a given state will easily revert to its results in a prior election (such thinking often ignores the reasons why a given state shifted toward one party in the first place).
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #416 on: July 21, 2019, 11:18:03 PM »

Rob Quist is a great underrated artist.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #417 on: July 22, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »

This one is my dad’s not sure if I agree, but he thinks Senator Graham is a closet gay.

Isn't this a pretty old meme?
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #418 on: July 22, 2019, 11:12:50 AM »

It is. And not a particularly funny one imo.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #419 on: July 22, 2019, 01:28:27 PM »

There is a very massive chasm lying in between the ideologies of Karl Marx and the ideologies of Vladimir Lenin, of which those 2 ideologies are wholly incompatible with each other.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #420 on: July 22, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »

There is a very massive chasm lying in between the ideologies of Karl Marx and the ideologies of Vladimir Lenin, of which those 2 ideologies are wholly incompatible with each other.

Sadly, the same argument applies to Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #421 on: July 22, 2019, 02:25:18 PM »

Doesn’t really matter, does it?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #422 on: July 22, 2019, 04:40:03 PM »

Yeah he is a boomer.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #423 on: July 22, 2019, 04:40:36 PM »

It is. And not a particularly funny one imo.

He was not even trying to be funny, like he legit thinks so and was being serious when telling me that he thinks that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #424 on: July 23, 2019, 12:35:42 AM »

Sadly, the same argument applies to Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand.

Does it? Serious question.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies