Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:08:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 94081 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: July 23, 2019, 01:09:17 AM »

There is a very massive chasm lying in between the ideologies of Karl Marx and the ideologies of Vladimir Lenin, of which those 2 ideologies are wholly incompatible with each other.

Sadly, the same argument applies to Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand.

Does it? Serious question.

Paul Ryan calls himself a Christian; you can't really be an adherent to Objectivism and still be a religious person. One of Rand's core convictions was the rejection of the immaterial, and she agreed with Nietzsche on Christianity's immoral fetishization of selflessness.

I like Rand even though I disagree with her on a lot of things. Ryan, however, is just a hack who either didn't understand her work or is posing as a person of faith in order to score political points (both are plausible).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #426 on: July 24, 2019, 03:43:54 PM »

There is a very massive chasm lying in between the ideologies of Karl Marx and the ideologies of Vladimir Lenin, of which those 2 ideologies are wholly incompatible with each other.

Paul Ryan calls himself a Christian; you can't really be an adherent to Objectivism and still be a religious person. One of Rand's core convictions was the rejection of the immaterial, and she agreed with Nietzsche on Christianity's immoral fetishization of selflessness.

I like Rand even though I disagree with her on a lot of things. Ryan, however, is just a hack who either didn't understand her work or is posing as a person of faith in order to score political points (both are plausible).

He said it influenced him, not that he's an Objectivist.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #427 on: July 25, 2019, 05:06:50 AM »

He said it influenced him, not that he's an Objectivist.

Regardless, I don't see how she could've influenced him in any meaningful way if he genuinely understood what she was saying. While it makes sense to take good ideas from different places, Rand and Jesus are so philosophically different that anyone who claims to hold their values simultaneously gives me pause. It's akin to someone calling themselves a "Nietzchean Christian" or a "Libertarian Hobbesian."

Oh wait, I'm a Libertarian Hobbesian...
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #428 on: July 25, 2019, 09:10:27 PM »

Having a stronger team of candidates in downballot races can make a substantial difference in the performance of upballot candidates that are on the same ticket. This even applies to cases where the downballot races are different by District such as for the US House while the upballot races are statewide such as for the US Senate and state Governorships.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #429 on: July 25, 2019, 11:42:21 PM »

Everyone is learning disabled, some in ways that are statistically abnormal.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #430 on: July 26, 2019, 12:43:03 AM »

Half of Atlas users will leave the forum the moment Trump leaves office
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #431 on: July 26, 2019, 06:23:05 AM »

Based on my reading of Spider-Man’s Wikipedia bio, they should have ended everything in the 80’s.
diptheriadan

« Reply #432 on: July 26, 2019, 06:38:12 AM »

Half of Atlas users will leave the forum the moment Trump leaves office

Nah, maybe something like 10% of Atlas's newbie leftists, but I doubt even that. Once you give someone an outlet to bitch about any and all things, they rarely leave it willingly.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #433 on: July 28, 2019, 02:19:08 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2019, 09:13:08 PM by Sandbox »

George Harrison is one of the least deserving artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

He's in because of his image and the fact that he was in the same band as John Lennon and Paul McCartney, not because of his music as a solo artist. (A similar statement is true for Stevie Nicks, but saying that about her isn't a hot, bad, or unpopular take)
diptheriadan

« Reply #434 on: July 28, 2019, 02:24:08 PM »

George Harrison is one of the least deserving artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

He's in because of his image and the fact that he was in the same band as John Lennon and Paul McCartney, not because of his music as a solo artist. (Sure, the same is true for Stevie Nicks, but saying that about her isn't a hot, bad, or unpopular take)

booooo!
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #435 on: July 28, 2019, 03:06:43 PM »

In addition, each of the current Top 7 at the halls' write-in thing (Motley Crue, Blink-182, Iron Maiden, Dave Matthews Band, Weezer and Styx) all deserve it more than Harrison.
diptheriadan

« Reply #436 on: July 28, 2019, 03:08:17 PM »

In addition, each of the current Top 7 at the halls' write-in thing (Motley Crue, Blink-182, Iron Maiden, Dave Matthews Band, Weezer and Styx) all deserve it more than Harrison.

Oh God! Triple boo!
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #437 on: July 28, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »

blink-182 are an act that captures the zeitgeist of a specific time period perfectly. They were everywhere in the late 90's-Early 2000's. If the Dave Clark Five, a lesser band from the British Invasion, can get inducted, why not one of the biggest names in Pop-Punk?

Weezer has two amazing albums, and while the rest of their output varys in quality they hit the big time by being themselves, and continued to do so for most of their career.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #438 on: July 28, 2019, 05:12:34 PM »

He's in because of his image and the fact that he was in the same band as John Lennon and Paul McCartney, not because of his music as a solo artist. (Sure, the same is true for Stevie Nicks, but saying that about her isn't a hot, bad, or unpopular take)

booooo!
That take was so hot that it sped up global warming by ten years. Harrison carried Lennon if anything.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #439 on: July 28, 2019, 11:23:16 PM »

booooo!

&

That take was so hot that it sped up global warming by ten years. Harrison carried Lennon if anything.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #440 on: July 28, 2019, 11:57:56 PM »

How exactly did Harrison carry Lennon?

And I'm only talking about George's solo career. There's a reason that he had a greatest hits album that included Beatles tracks but none of the other 3 did.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #441 on: July 29, 2019, 12:27:44 AM »

If Manchin was the prez nominee in 2008 for the dems, he would have destroyed McCain by double digits in the WV Prez GE.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #442 on: July 29, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »

Oh God! Triple boo!

TBH, my own hotter, badder, and unpopularer take is that the threshold for admittance into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is laughably low.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #443 on: July 29, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »

How exactly did Harrison carry Lennon?

And I'm only talking about George's solo career. There's a reason that he had a greatest hits album that included Beatles tracks but none of the other 3 did.

He created beautiful guitar instrumentation for most, if not all of the Beatles' classics. He wrote their loveliest songs with the most thoughtful lyrics. He was a great vocalist who sung lead on his own songs & provided wonderful harmonies for the others'. He was their diligent craftsman, who'd work on a guitar arrangement until he perfected it. He was their master guitar player (let alone somebody who played over 20 instruments, including sitar) & songwriter, as well as an excellent singer, who just drew the short straw of having his vast talent overlooked by the media, who concentrated most on John & Paul.

As for his Greatest Hits album having included Beatles tracks, blame that on the terms of his EMI/Capitol-affiliated Apple Records contract, & not the quality of his solo catalog (of which nearly half had yet to even be made, let alone released, since Capitol Records opted to make his Greatest Hits album in 1976).
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #444 on: July 29, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »

All or most prescription drugs should be over-the-counter.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #445 on: July 29, 2019, 04:21:37 PM »

All or most prescription drugs should be over-the-counter.

I don't actually fully disagree
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #446 on: July 29, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »

Oh God! Triple boo!

TBH, my own hotter, badder, and unpopularer take is that the threshold for admittance into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is laughably low.
It’s not so much low as it is flexible.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #447 on: July 29, 2019, 08:11:19 PM »

Now that I think about it, maybe Styx is less deserving than Harrison, but only maybe. Styx had a bigger impact than him, (by which I mean Styx had more hits and sold more records) but Harrison's image is more significant than Styx's entire career.

Still think Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Blink-182, Dave Matthews Band and Weezer deserve it more than him. (Anyone else willing to bat for these guys?)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #448 on: July 30, 2019, 02:39:38 AM »

I have no idea what compels people to feel that they have to "give back" to their communities. Community organizers, community service, community activism... none of it makes sense to me. I cannot fathom why anyone would want to be in contact with their neighbors any more than they absolutely have to. I assume that anyone who does these things is either a liar or has an ulterior motive. Either they enjoy having the illusion of power (in the case of certain community positions), or they are being forced to do it for legal reasons. Mostly I assume that they're status-seekers and want to give off the appearance of being kind and virtuous people. I have no patience for anyone who invests that much time in trying to impress others, so I have deep disdain for anyone who does community service for this reason.

This is why I find Andrew Yang so heartbreakingly naive. He's said multiple times that if people have more money and thereby more free time, they'll spend that time volunteering. Every time he makes that claim, I have to suppress my laughter. You're going to give me $12,000 a year, and you expect me to... what? Volunteer at a soup kitchen? Sorry, but whether you give me twelve thousand or twelve million dollars, I'm still going to be the same person I always was. My time is way more valuable to me than the opinions of other people. I don't care if you volunteered to clean up a highway or flew to Ecuador to build houses for impoverished hill people. It's all just virtue-signaling.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #449 on: July 30, 2019, 03:51:34 AM »

I have no idea what compels people to feel that they have to "give back" to their communities. Community organizers, community service, community activism... none of it makes sense to me. I cannot fathom why anyone would want to be in contact with their neighbors any more than they absolutely have to. I assume that anyone who does these things is either a liar or has an ulterior motive. Either they enjoy having the illusion of power (in the case of certain community positions), or they are being forced to do it for legal reasons. Mostly I assume that they're status-seekers and want to give off the appearance of being kind and virtuous people. I have no patience for anyone who invests that much time in trying to impress others, so I have deep disdain for anyone who does community service for this reason.

This is why I find Andrew Yang so heartbreakingly naive. He's said multiple times that if people have more money and thereby more free time, they'll spend that time volunteering. Every time he makes that claim, I have to suppress my laughter. You're going to give me $12,000 a year, and you expect me to... what? Volunteer at a soup kitchen? Sorry, but whether you give me twelve thousand or twelve million dollars, I'm still going to be the same person I always was. My time is way more valuable to me than the opinions of other people. I don't care if you volunteered to clean up a highway or flew to Ecuador to build houses for impoverished hill people. It's all just virtue-signaling.

Yeah, this is certainly a hot take lol
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies