Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:26:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 92947 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: November 29, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »

People who couldn't see Dany was going to go insane are terrible at actually paying attention to the show.

This is in no way a defense of the inexplicably awful writing of Season 8, of course.

Both of these takes are correct. It was the logical course for the character and she was always a terrible person. It's just that the execution of it was terrible.
I was never a big Dany but there is a massive logic leap from the more questionable stuff she did like crucifing the slavers and nuking a civilian population like that
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #651 on: November 30, 2019, 03:13:23 AM »

Most "bellwether" streaks are statistical coincidence rather than the bellwether actually being representative of the national mood in any sociologically testable way.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #652 on: November 30, 2019, 05:13:55 AM »

Most "bellwether" streaks are statistical coincidence rather than the bellwether actually being representative of the national mood in any sociologically testable way.

Thread title said Unpopular, not Popular. Thats a Popular take.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #653 on: November 30, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2019, 01:33:59 PM by Eastern Kentucky Demosaur fighting the long defeat »

Thread title said Unpopular, not Popular. Thats a Popular take.

Not outside this forum it isn't.

Also, the reason we always hear about "the Ohio bellwether" (and, formerly, "the Missouri bellwether") and not "the Florida bellwether" or "the Nevada bellwether", which were about equally reliable for a long time, is mostly just that the former two reinforce a narrative of the BUILT FORD TOUGH REAL AMERICAN HEARTLAND as somehow representative of the national electorate that the latter don't. We hear about Florida and Nevada as "swing states", but not as "bellwethers", and the reason for that is in part ideological or pseudo-ideological on the part of the media.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #654 on: November 30, 2019, 11:01:39 PM »

Austria-Hungary actually had a legit beef with Serbia over Ferdinand’s assassination. Most history books give off the impression that Austria unfairly blamed Serbia over the murder but members of their military did organize the assassination with the black hand and was suppling other terrorist groups in Bosnia
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #655 on: December 01, 2019, 07:18:11 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2019, 07:30:37 PM by L.D. Smith »

The word "disabled" is much worse than "handicapped" or even "retarded" and it's nuts that it has become a standard way to refer to people.

It isn't. The standard is "person with a disability".

Also The Crown is a rather humdrum affair, despite the best efforts of Matt Smith.

morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #656 on: December 01, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »

Cheese pizza ing sucks
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #657 on: December 01, 2019, 08:28:39 PM »

This is haram
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #658 on: December 01, 2019, 11:15:08 PM »

The word "disabled" is much worse than "handicapped" or even "retarded" and it's nuts that it has become a standard way to refer to people.

It's a controversial standard. Among disabled people, many of us do prefer person-first language, but many of us also consider it a needlessly circumlocutory imposition that well-meaning prescriptivists keep trying to shove down our throats. The in-community standard varies from disability to disability; for example, autistic people typically (but not universally) prefer just using the prenominal adjective, whereas with cerebral palsy there's pretty much no way not to use person-first language that isn't some sort of slur. (For another example, try using person-first language with a culturally Deaf person and send my regards to the body bag.)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #659 on: December 01, 2019, 11:41:03 PM »

Heresy
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #660 on: December 02, 2019, 10:45:59 PM »

I'm not sure that makes much difference.  Saying either "I am disabled" or "I have a disability," literally means "I can't," not "I find it more difficult" or "I need extra help."
And that's how it gets translated into policy where "Disability" refers to benefits a person gets once they can prove they are completely incapable.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #661 on: December 03, 2019, 11:50:15 AM »

Can’t believe I am saying this, but the current field for TX Sen sucks so bad that I’d honestly prefer Julian Castro to just jump in.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #662 on: December 03, 2019, 01:03:55 PM »

"Breaking up echo chambers" is a way to portray bad faith arguments and trolling in a positive light. People who actually do voice dissent in an interesting and insightful way do not get the same reaction as trolling and attacks.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #663 on: December 03, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »

Useable organs should be harvested for transplants, regardless of family's wishes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #664 on: December 03, 2019, 02:13:42 PM »

Is a cheese-less pizza even possible?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #665 on: December 03, 2019, 02:17:48 PM »

Yes, although I guess it's debatable if you consider it "pizza" instead of a flatbread cooked with tomato sauce and vegetables on top of it. Made right it can be pretty good though.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #666 on: December 03, 2019, 02:56:09 PM »

Yes, although I guess it's debatable if you consider it "pizza" instead of a flatbread cooked with tomato sauce and vegetables on top of it. Made right it can be pretty good though.

Cheese-less pizza, or whatever you want to call it, is elitist food.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #667 on: December 03, 2019, 03:02:25 PM »

When I was in Italy last year I had the opportunity to go to a pizzeria in Naples that's been around since the turn of the twentieth century, and the two kinds that they had were margherita (mozzarella, tomato, and basil) and marinara (just marinara sauce and oregano, no cheese).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #668 on: December 03, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »

Stand Atlantic is better than Paramore (and Bonnie is actually even hotter than Hayley Williams.)

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #669 on: December 03, 2019, 03:40:52 PM »

I will start by saying that I was very wrong about "Romney-Clinton types" in regard to 2018 results (and beyond, most likely), and Democrats appear to really be gaining even more momentum with relatively affluent, suburban, educated voters.  We can talk all day about the inner layers of that like how much is due to Republicans becoming Democrats or generational turnover or communities diversifying, but there isn't much need - I am, after all, saying I was wrong.  However...

The self image many of your more elitist liberals have given themselves and their party is kind of strange, if you ask me.  I remember Torie saying that *class* (as, of course, HE got to define it...) wasn't about income or even education, but rather lifestyle ... a bartender at a craft brewery with a bachelor's in psychology in Hudson, NY was of a higher class than the owner of a multi-million dollar construction company in Albany, if you will.  I mean, if the guys below with their master's degree in liberal arts and jobs paying $50,000 and would just NEVER vote Republican...

... are just SO clearly a social class above these "frat bros" who make $90,000 per year working in finance but vote Republican...

Doesn't that kind of amount to being the kid who comes up with your own nickname?  Lol.

BTW, I like and am friends with both types, and you weirdos should be too. Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #670 on: December 03, 2019, 03:49:30 PM »

BTW, I like and am friends with both types, and you weirdos should be too. Smiley
How do I find the latter type in Minneapolis?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #671 on: December 03, 2019, 05:14:14 PM »

I literally personally know two, lol.  I’m sure there are neighborhoods that regularly go 20-30% GOP somewhere in the city, my friend.

(Not that I know for sure or am going to check.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #672 on: December 03, 2019, 05:20:54 PM »

I literally personally know two, lol.  I’m sure there are neighborhoods that regularly go 20-30% GOP somewhere in the city, my friend.

(Not that I know for sure or am going to check.)
There's only five precincts in the city that gave Trump over 20%, one of which is near a conservative evangelical university. There is the one in the furthest southwest corner of the city that's practically Edina, but the neighborhood it's in is has a much lower Trump percentage due to the other precincts. And all the others are basically the same, they're spread out and in neighborhoods with more D precincts. So actually, no there isn't.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #673 on: December 03, 2019, 05:54:58 PM »

Do liberal cities lack business districts? Huh
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #674 on: December 03, 2019, 09:45:52 PM »

Stand Atlantic is better than Paramore (and Bonnie is actually even hotter than Hayley Williams.)

I can't judge either of these assertions conclusively on the basis of two music videos, but yeah, this is actually pretty great stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies