Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:07:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 92838 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: December 06, 2019, 01:40:10 AM »

Almost everyone who has an "emotional support animal" doesn't actually need one.  We over diagnose so many things like anxiety and ADHD, just so people can get the accommodations they want.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #676 on: December 06, 2019, 01:48:41 AM »

BTW, I like and am friends with both types, and you weirdos should be too. Smiley
How do I find the latter type in Minneapolis?

Do liberal cities lack business districts? Huh
Minneapolis doesn't have an area known as such. It has a lot of businesses headquartered downtown but no one except homeless people really live in that area.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #677 on: December 06, 2019, 02:33:10 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2019, 05:34:10 AM by Speaker YE »

Almost everyone who has an "emotional support animal" doesn't actually need one.  We over diagnose so many things like anxiety and ADHD, just so people can get the accommodations they want.

Oh yeah?  Try walking a mile in my shoes.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #678 on: December 06, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »

Most educators are actually really down-to-earth people, and it's largely a small but vocal minority (many of whom are administrators) who actually have an "elitist" attitude.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #679 on: December 06, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »

- Gore did the right thing by keeping some distance from Clinton in 2000.
- 1998 and 2002 were hardly resounding victories for the incumbent party, and evidence that voters rejected the "partisan obstructionism" of the opposition in those years is far from convincing. Both Republicans in 1998 and Democrats in 2002 would have done better if they had focused more on base turnout instead of letting the White House set the tone of the campaign.
- 2018 was far from a "neutral" year in the Senate just because Republicans won a few races that never should have have been in doubt in the first place.
- The 1996 presidential election was more winnable for Republicans than the 2008 presidential election.
- Pat Buchanan would have done better than Bob Dole in 1996.
- Howard Dean wouldn’t have done worse than John Kerry in 2004.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #680 on: December 06, 2019, 08:00:35 PM »

- The 1996 presidential election was more winnable for Republicans than the 2008 presidential election.

As it was (Clinton vs. Dole) or with a different caniddate (Clinton vs., say, Colin Powel)?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #681 on: December 07, 2019, 12:10:34 AM »

Star Wars fans are to blame for Last Jedi. Some might forget but there was time when Force Awakens was completely toxic on the Internet with endless YouTube hot takes on how it’s worse than the prequels because it was so safe and corporate over the quaint charm of a one man directors vision. Well they clearly tried to address this by giving Rian Johnson full control and look how that went
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #682 on: December 07, 2019, 01:18:15 AM »

While Sunny Day Real Estate's Diary is a fantastic album and its influence and importance can't possibly be overstated, it has a serious flaw in it in that the first two tracks on it are by far the best, thus making it difficult to listen to the whole album without the rest feeling like a letdown. And thus my controversial opinion: How It Feels To Be Something On is the best SDRE album.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #683 on: December 07, 2019, 02:25:23 AM »

Star Wars fans are to blame for Last Jedi.

This is a perspective I never really thought of before but now that you point it out, I don't really disagree
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #684 on: December 07, 2019, 02:28:50 AM »

The SEC is overrated as hell
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #685 on: December 07, 2019, 02:31:59 AM »

As it was (Clinton vs. Dole) or with a different caniddate (Clinton vs., say, Colin Powel)?

Different candidate. I don’t think even a different candidate could have won in 2008, although McCain clearly wasn’t the right Republican for 2008.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #686 on: December 08, 2019, 06:51:31 PM »

- Gore did the right thing by keeping some distance from Clinton in 2000.
- 1998 and 2002 were hardly resounding victories for the incumbent party, and evidence that voters rejected the "partisan obstructionism" of the opposition in those years is far from convincing. Both Republicans in 1998 and Democrats in 2002 would have done better if they had focused more on base turnout instead of letting the White House set the tone of the campaign.

Why do you say Gore did the right thing by distancing himself from Clinton if you believe that base turnout is key to winning elections?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #687 on: December 08, 2019, 09:43:38 PM »

Different candidate. I don’t think even a different candidate could have won in 2008, although McCain clearly wasn’t the right Republican for 2008.

In that case, that isn't a hot take at all. Even if Jesus were the 2008 Republican nominee Obama would win.

(Is that a Hot Take? If so, that's one for this thread.)
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #688 on: December 08, 2019, 11:12:52 PM »

A Trump second term is better for the Progressive agenda than a Biden win would be.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #689 on: December 09, 2019, 01:53:07 AM »

I genuinely, honestly cannot grasp--emotionally, empathetically grasp--how a decent human being can possibly be right-wing on material issues, although I believe strongly enough in fair play and honest discussion and have a clear enough intellectual understanding of most arguments for right-wing positions that I'm able to act as if I can grasp it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #690 on: December 09, 2019, 09:56:42 PM »

I genuinely, honestly cannot grasp--emotionally, empathetically grasp--how a decent human being can possibly be right-wing on material issues, although I believe strongly enough in fair play and honest discussion and have a clear enough intellectual understanding of most arguments for right-wing positions that I'm able to act as if I can grasp it.

I’m actually interested in seeing some discussion of this, but am unwilling to provide it myself. My defense would primarily be rooted in my belief in people as morally neutral rather than expecting them to be “good”, but I will say that I don’t consider myself actively horrible and at the same time would prefer keeping more of my paycheck and view student loan politics as ridiculous.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #691 on: December 10, 2019, 01:22:25 AM »

I feel similarly about pro-choicers - I can intellectually grasp the arguments but it is difficult for me to see how a decent, intellectually honest person who has thought through the issue can defend it, though such clearly is the case and there are indeed well-meaning pro-choice people. I attribute it to ignorance and emotivism largely, but to me it is something that so plainly cries for justice it is easy to get polemical about.  
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #692 on: December 10, 2019, 03:17:54 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2019, 03:22:33 AM by Eastern Kentucky Demosaur fighting the long defeat »

I feel similarly about pro-choicers - I can intellectually grasp the arguments but it is difficult for me to see how a decent, intellectually honest person who has thought through the issue can defend it, though such clearly is the case and there are indeed well-meaning pro-choice people. I attribute it to ignorance and emotivism largely, but to me it is something that so plainly cries for justice it is easy to get polemical about.  

Ignorance and emotivism on pro-choicers' part (hence their ability to hold the position) or on your part (hence your inability to grasp their holding it)? I ask because I definitely feel that it's a failure of imagination and a failure of compassion on my part to have the problem I'm describing (since I'm perfectly aware of the descriptive fact that people whom I like very much--such as you and Cathcon!--can and often do have pointedly right-wing politics), and I'm not humblebragging or virtue signaling by bringing it up.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #693 on: December 10, 2019, 09:26:38 AM »

Ignorance and emotivism on pro-choicers' part (hence their ability to hold the position) or on your part (hence your inability to grasp their holding it)? I ask because I definitely feel that it's a failure of imagination and a failure of compassion on my part to have the problem I'm describing (since I'm perfectly aware of the descriptive fact that people whom I like very much--such as you and Cathcon!--can and often do have pointedly right-wing politics), and I'm not humblebragging or virtue signaling by bringing it up.

i was thinking about it primarily about how most people arguing the pro-choice case seem to have absolutely dreadful arguments so I was attributing that to emotivism and ignorance (as opposed to malice), but it can also apply to me in that I certainly can be overly harsh and presume that everyone on the opposite side is either callous or hasn’t thought the issue through.  I acknowledge there are informed pro-choicers who have good reasons (though ultimately false) for believing why they do, but it is easy for me to have a visceral reaction that is very harsh.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #694 on: December 10, 2019, 09:39:28 AM »

i was thinking about it primarily about how most people arguing the pro-choice case seem to have absolutely dreadful arguments so I was attributing that to emotivism and ignorance (as opposed to malice), but it can also apply to me in that I certainly can be overly harsh and presume that everyone on the opposite side is either callous or hasn’t thought the issue through.  I acknowledge there are informed pro-choicers who have good reasons (though ultimately false) for believing why they do, but it is easy for me to have a visceral reaction that is very harsh.

This needs its own individual thread.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #695 on: December 10, 2019, 02:38:12 PM »

This, except replace right wing with Trump supporter.

He is such a scumbag of such epic proportions that it’s very hard not to judge people harshly when they unwaveringly support him.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #696 on: December 10, 2019, 03:29:05 PM »

r/feet is a great subreddit.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #697 on: December 11, 2019, 01:26:29 AM »

Constantine I, as an individual, is not an important figure in the history of Christian theology, although several of his successors are.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #698 on: December 11, 2019, 03:20:51 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgdLNEPA0tg

This is cringe
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #699 on: December 13, 2019, 06:30:38 AM »

I would rather be a poster who doesn't really stand out one way or another, can easily be ignored, but still can get along with most anybody just due to being cordial, then be a poster who goes too far with stating his ideas, creates a persona people know, but a persona that people hate. I just can't find it in myself or my nature to debate and ruin something with people in an online community that even if I am not super special, am at least accepted in, just to be a persona that I don't even believe in, for the sake of the reaction. I come on here for a good time, to have fun, and occasionally debate politics, not to spend days of my life debating different ideals that I just quite frankly can't get myself to be invested in. And if my lack of decision, my lack of ideals, my lack of an impact, make me an HP to the eyes of some, then it is a title that I will accept as gracefully as I possibly can
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies