Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:19:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 92898 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: May 04, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »

Yes, he's a moron who is full of terrible takes, including my favorite: "The most recent Repblican president who was not a racist was Dwight D. Eisenhower".

On that note, running on a platform that appeals to racists does not make someone racist.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 06:41:41 PM »

Casting Couch =/= Rape. She agrees to have sex with the man regardless of what happens next.

It's still awful, though.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:28:33 PM »

Erdrick shouldn't have been in Smash.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 12:43:42 PM »

Lyndon Johnson was a horrible president as he quite possibly made the worst set of foreign policy choices ever by any US President in the history of the Country.

I didn't know you were a segregationist.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 02:19:08 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2019, 09:13:08 PM by Sandbox »

George Harrison is one of the least deserving artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

He's in because of his image and the fact that he was in the same band as John Lennon and Paul McCartney, not because of his music as a solo artist. (A similar statement is true for Stevie Nicks, but saying that about her isn't a hot, bad, or unpopular take)
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 03:06:43 PM »

In addition, each of the current Top 7 at the halls' write-in thing (Motley Crue, Blink-182, Iron Maiden, Dave Matthews Band, Weezer and Styx) all deserve it more than Harrison.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »

blink-182 are an act that captures the zeitgeist of a specific time period perfectly. They were everywhere in the late 90's-Early 2000's. If the Dave Clark Five, a lesser band from the British Invasion, can get inducted, why not one of the biggest names in Pop-Punk?

Weezer has two amazing albums, and while the rest of their output varys in quality they hit the big time by being themselves, and continued to do so for most of their career.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 11:57:56 PM »

How exactly did Harrison carry Lennon?

And I'm only talking about George's solo career. There's a reason that he had a greatest hits album that included Beatles tracks but none of the other 3 did.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 08:11:19 PM »

Now that I think about it, maybe Styx is less deserving than Harrison, but only maybe. Styx had a bigger impact than him, (by which I mean Styx had more hits and sold more records) but Harrison's image is more significant than Styx's entire career.

Still think Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Blink-182, Dave Matthews Band and Weezer deserve it more than him. (Anyone else willing to bat for these guys?)
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »

Now that I think about it, maybe Styx is less deserving than Harrison, but only maybe. Styx had a bigger impact than him, (by which I mean Styx had more hits and sold more records) but Harrison's image is more significant than Styx's entire career.

Still think Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Blink-182, Dave Matthews Band and Weezer deserve it more than him. (Anyone else willing to bat for these guys?)

Compared to sole his solo work outside the Beatles? I think Motley Crue has far more of a pedigree and impact on rock and roll band Harrison ever did. I'm not saying he isn't a more thoughtful and fundamentally brilliant musician then those four, but in terms of rock and roll and cultural impact, Harrison's influences of course overwhelmingly through the Beatles

As for the others?
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »

Sence I talked about the Rock Hall last time, and my dad is in Cleveland looking for a job...

There's too many British Invasion and Blues acts in. I see the merits of, say, Bobby "Blue" Bland, The Dave Clark 5, Solomon Burke, The (Young) Rascals, Little Willie John (who would have been better as an Early Influence) or The Lovin' Spoonful, but why do they have priority over, say, The Smiths or Joy Division/New Order?
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 03:09:05 PM »

I meantioned that George Harrison doesn't deserve RNR HOF status, and now that this year's nominees are out, I'd say that of all of them, aside from maybe Thin Lizzy, deserve it more than he does.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 12:42:07 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2019, 12:46:11 PM by Cleveland Rocks »

George Harrison didn't do anything important or significant after Bangaldesh and All Things Must Pass. Comparied to someone who had tons of hits and a great voice, Whitney is superior to Harrison.

As for Biggie, while some might say his career was too short, he did more in that short time than George did in two whole decades.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 08:42:22 PM »

Well considering the fact that this is meant for unpopular takes, that is a really good one

Needlessly extended a war he had no intention of actually “winning”; used federal reserve policy to adverse effect for the simple goal of winning re-election on unsustainable economic policies; oversaw a surge of Soviet activity and successes in the Third World with a few exceptions.

What’s that leave us with? Some environmental and CJ legislation?

Which would have been done by almost anyone in his position and time.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »

I don’t think Bill Clinton raped Juanita Broaddrick solely because Juanita doesn’t act like a rape victim at all. When she showed up at Trump’s side when the Hollywood Access taped dropped I could understand it to a degree but she and Paula Jones have made a habit of being shields for Republicans who get in trouble. They showed up constantly on Fox during the Roy Moore scandal to make whataboutism case. Hell Juanita even made fun of E. Jean Carroll’s looks on Twitter when she made her allegation against Trump. Granted not all victims act and think the same but I have never seen a legitimate rape victim try to use the fact they never got justice to be used as a shield for another alleged sexual predator. Heck they even have been on Fox recently to make the argument that their cases mean the whistleblower should be outed

On a related note, what Bill did to Monica back in the 90's wasn't rape even though she phrases it as such.

Also, that dress should be in the Bill Clinton Presidential Library.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 08:00:35 PM »

- The 1996 presidential election was more winnable for Republicans than the 2008 presidential election.

As it was (Clinton vs. Dole) or with a different caniddate (Clinton vs., say, Colin Powel)?
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 09:43:38 PM »

- The 1996 presidential election was more winnable for Republicans than the 2008 presidential election.

As it was (Clinton vs. Dole) or with a different caniddate (Clinton vs., say, Colin Powel)?

Different candidate. I don’t think even a different candidate could have won in 2008, although McCain clearly wasn’t the right Republican for 2008.

In that case, that isn't a hot take at all. Even if Jesus were the 2008 Republican nominee Obama would win.

(Is that a Hot Take? If so, that's one for this thread.)
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 01:04:22 PM »

SInce the 2020 rock Hall class has been announced, and given what I said about George Harrison being undeserving, let's take a look:

The Notorious B.I.G. deserves it more than George Harrison
Whitney Houston deserves it more than George Harrison
T. Rex deserve it more than George Harrison
Depeche Mode deserve it more than George Harrison
Nine Inch Nails deserve it more than George Harrison

The Doobie Brothers....well, I'm split on Harrison vs. Doobie Brothers. Anyone willing to bat for the Doobies?
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 06:54:50 PM »

Why hate George Harrison? It was Lennon who was the biggest douche of ‘em all.

That is true, but Lennon deserves enshrinment. His solo career was far more impactful and infulential than Harrison's.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 09:31:34 PM »

Why hate George Harrison? It was Lennon who was the biggest douche of ‘em all.

That is true, but Lennon deserves enshrinment. His solo career was far more impactful and infulential than Harrison's.
You consider “Freda People” an impactful song???

No, but neither is most of Harrison's material.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 10:05:31 PM »

Do you also think that the Soviets were the Good Guys in the Cold War? (Well, after Stalin died, of course.)
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »

I know I was dissing Geroge Harrison earlier, so let me priase someone:

Bon Jovi deserved their induction. This is unpopular because they usually rank near the bottom (unjustly) when attempting to rank all 200+ acts, but you try having hits in four different decades, defining an era, and outlasting a movement that should have ended your career. Bon Jovi defined the 1980's landscape and contined to have a creer beyond that. Goerge Harrison did barely anything after 1971.

Bon Jovi > George Harrison.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 12:17:19 PM »

That's because the two Koreas are so different they're better off being seperate from each other.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2020, 12:51:26 PM »

In honor of International Women's Day, I'd like to say this again:

Modern feminism is horrible, evil, and has no place in modern America. While there was always an evil side of feminism (there is an evil side of every idealolgy), the evil side of feminism has completely taken over.

I bet feminist mothers abuse their sons regularly.

(Also, would "every ideology has an evil variant" qualify for this thread?)
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 02:29:07 PM »

In honor of International Women's Day, I'd like to say this again:

Modern feminism is horrible, evil, and has no place in modern America. While there was always an evil side of feminism (there is an evil side of every idealolgy), the evil side of feminism has completely taken over.

I bet feminist mothers abuse their sons regularly.

(Also, would "every ideology has an evil variant" qualify for this thread?)

While I can understand feeling this way in a country like the U.S., I do think that there are parts of the world that desperately need feminism. Mexico, for example, where women are being brutally raped and murdered at a higher rate than ever, and the government and police don't seem to care at all.

That is completly true. Hence why I said modern feminism has no place in modern America, not in the world in general.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies