State abortion laws megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:14:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State abortion laws megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Author Topic: State abortion laws megathread  (Read 42224 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2019, 03:20:07 PM »

Ya Hey Abortion Extremists,

If you support laws like Georgia's, please make a push so that legislators make it so that expecting fathers start paying child support from conception, alongside all the other things that come with that.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »

The US is headed down this hill very fast. It's absolutely terrifying.

We can either run away (I have been talking to a lawyer and have the money) or we can stand and fight, even it means years in prison, potential death, and a lifetime of persecution.

Yeah, I'm hoping that the national organizations are willing to raise money to help get women out of these redneck states to places were they can get their health care.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »

The US is headed down this hill very fast. It's absolutely terrifying.

We can either run away (I have been talking to a lawyer and have the money) or we can stand and fight, even it means years in prison, potential death, and a lifetime of persecution.
The consequences of the confederacy having bizarre gender imbalances will be...interesting.
Yeah, I'm hoping that the national organizations are willing to raise money to help get women out of these redneck states to places were they can get their health care.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2019, 04:05:28 PM »

If you support laws like Georgia's, please make a push so that legislators make it so that expecting fathers start paying child support from conception, alongside all the other things that come with that.

I’ve been saying that for a while. I imagine if it isn’t, you could get out of it entirely.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2019, 05:48:16 PM »

I am pleased that the movement to restrict abortion appears to be most active in the courts, the media, and the legislatures, whereas the movement to protect abortion appears to have gotten lost somewhere along the way and spends most of its time on the internet.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2019, 05:49:53 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2019, 05:56:04 PM by 习近平 2020 »

I also support this proposal, although the burden of pregnancy should be shared by all of society, starting but not limited to the parents themselves. Abortion restrictions are just one cornerstone in the project of restoring a compassionate, family-oriented society.

Prenatal care should absolutely be free and universally available and paid parental leave should be mandatory. Other policies may also address this issue, but these are the preferred starting points.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2019, 06:00:45 PM »

I also support this proposal, although the burden of pregnancy should be shared by all of society, starting but not limited to the parents themselves. Abortion restrictions are just one cornerstone in the project of restoring a compassionate, family-oriented society.

Prenatal care should absolutely be free and universally available and paid parental leave should be mandatory. Other policies may also address this issue, but these are the preferred starting points.

Maybe more of an orientation towards a plant based diet?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2019, 06:06:11 PM »

Maybe more of an orientation towards a plant based diet?

I don't see that as a priority (versus general prenatal care and parental benefits) and I'm not aware of conclusive science on plant- vs. protein-based diets and pregnancy, but yes – some sort of structured, healthy diet is certainly preferable to the current lack of nutrition available to pregnant women and children in many poor and rural communities. I think that falls under the category of prenatal care.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2019, 12:16:53 AM »

I really don't understand why a bunch of old white conservative men think they're in any position to interfere with a personal medical procedure between a woman and her doctor...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2019, 06:59:57 AM »

I really don't understand why a bunch of old white conservative men think they're in any position to interfere with a personal medical procedure between a woman and her doctor...
Because that is the only way they can become spiritually fulfilled.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2019, 07:24:22 AM »

Muh fetus! Muh zygote!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2019, 06:39:02 PM »

Part of me wonders if scenes of sisters, mothers, daughters being dragged to jail, throwing themselves down stairs or bleeding in a back alleyway would change opinions in time if this is where things are headed. Then I remember an elementary class can be gunned down and gun laws still get laxer.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »

Because they're men. And I say this as a man, myself.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2019, 08:26:18 PM »

To quote a wise lady....
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2019, 09:56:57 PM »

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article230258089.html

A GOP state lawmaker who recently gave an impassioned speech about being raped as a 16 year old says she feels attacked after a Republican colleague passed out literature describing rape as a “misdeed of the parent” that doesn’t justify having an abortion.

The Spartanburg Republican who passed out the card this week, state Rep. Josiah Magnuson, acknowledged the poor word choice in an interview with The State Friday but said he wouldn’t back down from his position.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »

By that logic I guess the federal ban on selling organs doesn't apply to women because something something old white men ...

And requiring delivery room nurses to wash their hands is patriarchy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »

By that logic I guess the federal ban on selling organs doesn't apply to women because something something old white men ...

You're not very good at this.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2019, 11:47:20 AM »

Better than this asinine segregation argument that male legislators cant consider things that impact women, or is it only white male legislators who can't vote on abortion?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2019, 12:54:25 PM »

Better than this asinine segregation argument that male legislators cant consider things that impact women, or is it only white male legislators who can't vote on abortion?
I think I am seeing what you were saying. Some veteran hawks don’t want dove civilians involved  in foreign policy because they won’t or aren’t allowed to fight. I get it. Why should people who don’t fight decide where someone fights or doesn’t fight? However, those doves still have to pay for it somehow. They have to deal with traveling to areas where our  bad foreign policy choices may subject them to prejudice. Their money is being spent in a way they will not benefit from. It’s not quite an equivalent between war and abortion or really anything else unless you subscribe to the logic that the “private” lives of everyone in the community are everyone in the community’s responsibility. My only experience with this was when I was clearly in the wrong. Mostly when I felt alone, anxious, or envious of sex lives of others.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2019, 07:21:42 PM »

Here it is:
http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20192020/HB/481
I got mixed up about the state but I was thinking of the GA bill.

OK, I see.  So it seems the discussion about penalties was an extrapolation on the basis of an expansion of the definition of a person rather than something explicitly mentioned in the law.

I obviously don't know Georgia law, but just for comparison sake a crime need not specify complicity to the offense as being a crime within the statute itself. The general complicity statute basically makes it a crime to Aid, a bet, or encourage another to commit a crime. Heck, my someone being charged with the crime of complicity. If you are charged with assault, for example, you are considered to have legally also been charged with and put on notice for the charge of complicity to an assault.

Again, I don't know about Georgia law, but if it's anything remotely similar, then this absolutely can be applied to anyone assisting an abortion
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2019, 08:14:17 PM »

Here it is:
http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20192020/HB/481
I got mixed up about the state but I was thinking of the GA bill.

OK, I see.  So it seems the discussion about penalties was an extrapolation on the basis of an expansion of the definition of a person rather than something explicitly mentioned in the law.

I obviously don't know Georgia law, but just for comparison sake a crime need not specify complicity to the offense as being a crime within the statute itself. The general complicity statute basically makes it a crime to Aid, a bet, or encourage another to commit a crime. Heck, my someone being charged with the crime of complicity. If you are charged with assault, for example, you are considered to have legally also been charged with and put on notice for the charge of complicity to an assault.

Again, I don't know about Georgia law, but if it's anything remotely similar, then this absolutely can be applied to anyone assisting an abortion

What would it take to be considered an accomplice or solicitor is the question. For example, the Trump tower meeting where the Trump campaign asked for oppo research while knowing that the FSB had an oppo campaign. 
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2019, 08:15:32 PM »

To quote a wise lady....

Accurately noting that most men are monstrous does not really change the abortion debate in any substantial way.

I agree that Ruben Diaz, Marsha Blackburn, and Amy Coney Barrett should be placed in charge of all U.S. abortion policy.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article230258089.html

A GOP state lawmaker who recently gave an impassioned speech about being raped as a 16 year old says she feels attacked after a Republican colleague passed out literature describing rape as a “misdeed of the parent” that doesn’t justify having an abortion.

The Spartanburg Republican who passed out the card this week, state Rep. Josiah Magnuson, acknowledged the poor word choice in an interview with The State Friday but said he wouldn’t back down from his position.

North Carolina state Republicans are their state's equivalent to "Florida Man."
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2019, 04:38:40 PM »

Governor Bill Lee has signed the Human Life Protection Act, which will make abortion illegal in Tennessee 30 days after the complete or partial overturning of Roe v. Wade.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2019, 04:41:03 PM »

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2019/03/florida-house-speaker-jose-oliva-calls-pregnant-women-host-bodies/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=share_bar&fbclid=IwAR2MSQuurb6_K9OH_pLz3_JJLJXpuIlb9Qm_x4HnYpB4wCT2x_T3zZsCQ-o#6pzXyCcDJHZlq1pe.01
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies