State abortion laws megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:36:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State abortion laws megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Author Topic: State abortion laws megathread  (Read 42197 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2019, 11:10:51 AM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/georgia-governor-signs-heartbeat-abortion-ban-joining-a-us-movement/ar-AAB1Rn9
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »

This title is misleading, it's called a "heartbeat bill"
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 11:24:15 AM »

Should be interesting to see how the movie industry in Georgia reacts to this.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:40:21 AM »

I couldn't find anything about exceptions in the usual cases (incest, rape, health of the mother), so can anyone speak to this?  If they would be included, then I really think calling this a "Roman abortion law" is kind of misleading.  Also, at what point in the pregnancy can a doctor usually detect a heartbeat?  Totally curious, as I have literally no idea.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »

Bye David Perdue. Bye GA-7. Bye electoral votes for Republicans.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2019, 12:23:35 PM by Edgar Suit Larry »

I couldn't find anything about exceptions in the usual cases (incest, rape, health of the mother), so can anyone speak to this?  If they would be included, then I really think calling this a "Roman abortion law" is kind of misleading.  Also, at what point in the pregnancy can a doctor usually detect a heartbeat?  Totally curious, as I have literally no idea.

The claim is six weeks. Some personhood people say 18 days but I think a lot of doctors can probably get away with it 12 weeks afterwards. There would still be that risk. I think there are laws that allow for the doctor to not check if there is a police report filed in conjunction or if it is done at the hospital.

Of course unless Roberts is ready to overturn Roe (upholding this law without explicitly overruling Roe would suffice), this law will never actually have the any effect. Unless all the shifts that are occurring in Georgia are illusory, there will be consequences with the minimal effect being the loss of new movie filmings, GA-6 going out of reach, and GA-7 switching hands. The senate race may go to runoff even in a year with a narrow R reelection.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 12:26:00 PM »

Why are y’all talking like this is some kind of harsh law? It’s not, it’s really too lax. It’s despicable because it doesn’t go anywhere near far enough. It even still permits the depraved, abominable act of heartlessly slaughtering unborn infants.
A reasonable, common sense abortion law would outlaw the peculiar institution altogether, from the moment the sperm hits the egg, and would include hefty prison sentences (say, 5 years per count) for abortion “doctors.”
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »

Are there a lot of pro-choice voters in GA-6 and GA-7 that you are under the impression were previously supporting Republicans but will refuse to now?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 12:29:50 PM »

A silly law passed by silly people. It's only too bad it will hurt women and families.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 12:29:54 PM »

lol
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 12:31:08 PM »

A group's last middle finger as they're being lowered into their graves....
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 12:46:21 PM »

Why are y’all talking like this is some kind of harsh law? It’s not, it’s really too lax. It’s despicable because it doesn’t go anywhere near far enough. It even still permits the depraved, abominable act of heartlessly slaughtering unborn infants.
A reasonable, common sense abortion law would outlaw the peculiar institution altogether, from the moment the sperm hits the egg, and would include hefty prison sentences (say, 5 years per count) for abortion “doctors.”

The priest should order his deacons to inspect all periods and report all "irregularities" to the Chief Eunuch of Dioceses!
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 12:47:42 PM »

A group's last middle finger as they're being lowered into their graves....

No, but even if it were, what better way to go out than fighting child killers?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »

I can maybe understand some restrictions in the third trimester, but six weeks is absurd. The whole idea of an embryo having a heartbeat at six weeks is a lie too.

“These bills present the idea that there’s something that looks like what you or a person on the street would call a baby – a thing that’s almost ready to go for a walk,” said Dr Jen Gunter, a gynecologist in Canada and the US who runs an influential blog. “In reality, you’re talking about something that’s millimeters in size and doesn’t look anything like that.”

That early in a pregnancy, Gunter said, an embryo does not have a heart – at least, not what we understand a human heart to be, with pumping tubes and ventricles. At six weeks, a human embryo throbs, but those tissues have not yet formed an organ, so the pulsing should not be confused with a heartbeat.

“When throbbing of some tissue begins, it’s not a heart,” said Dr Sara Imershein, a gynecologist and obstetrician in Falls Church, Virginia. “Really, we call it an embryo until about nine weeks from last menstrual period,” or roughly three weeks after the new laws prohibit termination of pregnancy.
'It's not a little child': gynecologists join the fight against six-week abortion bans
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »

Six weeks is more than fair. That's about where I would set it. Hopefully Amy will soon be available to confirm that as the law of the land.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 12:55:44 PM »

He has a lot of experience with peculiar institutions, you see
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 12:59:13 PM »

If I thought my semen were people and tried to rock them to bed and read them stories, I would too.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 01:03:07 PM »

If I thought my semen were people and tried to rock them to bed and red them stories, I would too.

I know this is in jest, but why are such incredibly important semantics always lost on extreme pro-choicers and pro-lifers?  The absolutely massive ideological ocean that sits between positions like opposing birth control because it's killing potential fetuses and supporting late term abortions where the baby is practically born because "muh woman's body" is where the vast majority of normal people reside and where any sensible person would arrive.  Mocking people for debating where in the middle we should arrive by ascribing their beliefs to extremist caricatures seems to be in bad taste.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 01:39:02 PM »

If I thought my semen were people and tried to rock them to bed and red them stories, I would too.

I know this is in jest, but why are such incredibly important semantics always lost on extreme pro-choicers and pro-lifers?  The absolutely massive ideological ocean that sits between positions like opposing birth control because it's killing potential fetuses and supporting late term abortions where the baby is practically born because "muh woman's body" is where the vast majority of normal people reside and where any sensible person would arrive.  Mocking people for debating where in the middle we should arrive by ascribing their beliefs to extremist caricatures seems to be in bad taste.
Which is reasonable but I don’t think I’m exaggerating the mocked viewpoint by that much. I mean, does he start considering himself a parent if the condom either gets stuck in there or disintegrates like an overloaded grocery bag when he brings someone home?
Buzz

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 01:45:02 PM »

A great day for the state of Georgia!!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 01:46:01 PM »

Roman?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »

Clerical
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 03:02:39 PM »

This bill is already great; you don't need to give it positive branding like this.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 03:35:40 PM »

A great day for the state of Georgia!!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 04:34:50 PM »

Because it hails from a time somewhere between the Iron Age and the Medieval.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies