should you have to pass a standardized test to graduate HS/go to college
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:34:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should you have to pass a standardized test to graduate HS/go to college
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: should you have to pass a standardized test to graduate HS/go to college
yes

yes, but

no

no, but

it's ok for some places, but not for others

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: should you have to pass a standardized test to graduate HS/go to college  (Read 1139 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 12:33:42 PM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 02:09:20 PM »

There needs to be some basic minimum level of quality control on K-12 education, and I don't understand how a student can "memorize" a reading comprehension or math test.  Ideally, there should be uniform benchmarks for every grade level and grade promotion should be based on passing a standardized test.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »

Anyway, fun thread to post in on the day that the College Board announces that it will apply a Harrison Bergeron factor to everyone's SAT scores.
I had to Google...WSJ link or random local news link that you don't have to pay for or Texas A&M forums, to know what you were talking about.  Well, first I googled Harrison Bergeron, and that just told me of the Scifi story, so I properly adjusted my search and found the above links.
The non-profit College Board which oversees SAT scores will be adding what is being called an 'Adversity Score' to students taking the test in hopes of getting into college.

According to the College Board, a research study of the program was launched in 2016, followed by a pilot program in 2018. Now, according to the Wall Street Journal, the pilot will be expanded to 150 schools this fall with plans to continue growth in 2020.

The goal of the 'Adversity Score' is to provide what the College Board calls environmental context to test results. The student's location and high school serve as the basis for information of their environment. Factors such as crime rate, poverty rate, housing values, median income, family income, and access to advanced course work are among the factors which grade the student's environment.

The findings are then used by colleges participating in the program to be compared with a student's score when being considered for admission. According to the Wall Street Journal, the College Board has been concerned about income inequality influencing test results and CEO David Coleman believes there are "a number of amazing students" who could be scoring low on the SAT but have a lot to offer colleges.
I was under the impression that colleges already had their own systems for factoring such things in to keep the Asians and Whites from filling out all the campuses, no?  Maybe this is because the Asians recently started suing and the colleges wanted to push this job off onto someone else before they all got caught up in civil rights lawsuits?
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2019, 06:12:47 PM »

Yes, but maybe give options? Like, give the students an option to take, say, any two of seven exams. Schools that don't have a high enough pass rate should be cracked down on.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies