LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment (Sent to referendum)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:19:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment (Sent to referendum)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment (Sent to referendum)  (Read 4422 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2019, 07:52:41 AM »
« edited: June 04, 2019, 06:11:17 PM by tack50 »

Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment
A constitutional ammendment to make the governance of the Lincoln region easier

SECTION I: BETTER GOVERNANCE

1. Article I.3 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be ammended as follows

3. In all elections for the Council, the number of councilors to be elected shall be determined according to the number of declared candidates - which does not include write-in candidates - contesting the election: either four three councilors shall be elected or one two minus the total number of candidates on the ballot, whichever is greater. At most, nine seven councilors may be elected.

2. Article I.12 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be ammended as follows

12. The Council shall have the power to declare no confidence in the chancellor’s government. A motion of no confidence shall require a sufficient second to be voted on by the Council, and if this is achieved, a simple majority of councilors the Council's entire membership voting Aye or Nay is sufficient to declare non-confidence in the government. If a loss of confidence occurs in the government, the governor must call a snap election or appoint a new candidate for chancellor.

3. Article I.16 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be ammended as follows

16. The Council shall be dissolved a week 24 hours before general and snap elections to provide for the election campaign period.

4. Article VI.1 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be ammended as follows

1. The Council shall have the power to propose amendments to this Constitution. Four-fifths Two-thirds of all sitting councilors are required to vote in favor of the Amendment for it to be approved by the Council, except in Concils with 3 members, where a unanimous vote shall be required. Once approved by the Council, amendments shall become operative following their ratification in a public referendum.

SECTION II: CODIFYING THE STATUS QUO

1. Article I.10 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be ammended as follows

10. The Council, on the first day after the governor’s appointment of a chancellor, the Speaker or any member of the Council shall introduce a motion, “that this Council has confidence in His (or Her) Excellency’s government”. A simple majority of councilors voting Aye or Nay shall be sufficient to establish confidence. If the new government should fail to gain the confidence of the Council, the appointed chancellor shall be dismissed and the governor shall advance the appointment of a new chancellor whom he shall submit to the judgement of the Council. This vote of confidence in the Chancellor may also take the form of a vote in a thread opened by the Governor about the State Opening of the Council of Lincoln

2. Article I.14 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be repealed in its entirety. The rest of Article I shall be renumbered accordingly

Sponsor: tack50
Debate time for this bill has started and shall last for no less than 72 hours
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 07:59:29 AM »

Ok, here goes "Attempt to fix the Philadelphia plan #1232890128390" Tongue

After realizing that constitutional ammendments in Lincoln require a huge majority of 4/5, I decided to change that. And at that point I wondered, why not include other changes as well?

So here is the list of changes, in order:

1: The number of councillors in the Council is slightly reduced. The cap is established at 7 instead of 9 as of now (which is too high). To make for more competitive elections, the number of concillors is reduced from declared candidates minus one to minus 2. The minimum number of Councillors is established at 3 instead of 4.

2: The threshold for a Vote of No Confidence is raised from a simple majority to an absolute majority. This is so that the opposition can't get away with a VONC with little support.

3: The Lincoln Council shall be dissolved 24h before the election instead of a week (which is way too much). Removed the justification about campaigning.

4: The thing that pushed me to propose this. The threshold for a constitutional ammendment is reduced from 80% to 2/3. I even considered reducing it further to 3/5, but that would be equivalent to a simple majority in too many cases.

5: This codifies what is already the case, that the vote for a Chancellor may take place in a thread about the State Opening of Lincoln. A harsh reading of the constitution might claim that both DKrol and Pyro didn't follow the procedure to appoint a Chancellor.

6: The "Chancellor's questions" thing is repealed. We haven't had one in ages so we might as well repeal this.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 08:26:26 AM »

No; this makes the government worse
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »

Thank you tack, this amendment is yet another step forward in slowly improving the Philly Plan.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 04:32:57 PM »

Could you elaborate on this?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 04:52:22 PM »

Amendments should require large majorities for a reason, they should not require the same amount a s as overriding a filibuster

Also, I don't think we should touch changing the amount of Councilors with a ten-foot pole
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 04:57:45 PM »

It is pretty much universally acknowledged that none is a ridiculous number...
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 05:32:05 PM »

Amendments should require large majorities for a reason, they should not require the same amount a s as overriding a filibuster

Also, I don't think we should touch changing the amount of Councilors with a ten-foot pole

Well, that's why we are getting rid of the filibuster as well Tongue

Now seriously, 2/3 is a fairly standard threshold for constitutional ammendments. Fremont does use a 4/5 threshold. However both the South and the federal government use a 2/3 threshold plus a referendum (in fact, the South actually uses a slightly lower system, 2/3 of voting members an a majority of the CoD; so hypothetically a 4-2 vote with 1 member absent would pass)

I don't think going to a 2/3 threshold is that low.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 05:41:01 PM »

Now seriously, 2/3 is a fairly standard threshold for constitutional ammendments. Fremont does use a 4/5 threshold. However both the South and the federal government use a 2/3 threshold plus a referendum (in fact, the South actually uses a slightly lower system, 2/3 of voting members an a majority of the CoD; so hypothetically a 4-2 vote with 1 member absent would pass)

The truth is that removing the filibuster is a dark and frightening move. It reeks of tyranny. The power of the minority party must be protected. There are no excuses for that. Also, a removal of the filibuster will allow for the majority to ram fringe bills through the Council. This bill is an attack on the Lincoln Constitution.

The minority party has a solemn duty. Its solemn duty is to protect the people of Lincoln from fringe, extremist bills. This legislation undoes that right. It will allow for the majority to pass fringe bills on a party-line vote. This must be avoided.

This bill undermines the power of the minority. The fact that we are even entertaining, abolishing the filibuster is disgraceful. The art of governing is based on the time-honored tradition of compromise. We are not going to throw that away, and allow the majority to jam fringe far-left bills, through the Council.

As a moderate, conciliatory politician, I stand opposed to this repugnant legislation. I recommend that instead we compromise. If this is passed, the same extremist bills that moderates in both parties oppose will pass. If this is passed, not only will we see ridiculous polarization, but the extremist elements in both parties will decide what legislation passes, and moderates will become a simple afterthought.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 06:07:32 PM »

The truth is that removing the filibuster is a dark and frightening move. It reeks of tyranny. The power of the minority party must be protected. There are no excuses for that. Also, a removal of the filibuster will allow for the majority to ram fringe bills through the Council. This bill is an attack on the Lincoln Constitution.

The minority party has a solemn duty. Its solemn duty is to protect the people of Lincoln from fringe, extremist bills. This legislation undoes that right. It will allow for the majority to pass fringe bills on a party-line vote. This must be avoided.

This bill undermines the power of the minority. The fact that we are even entertaining, abolishing the filibuster is disgraceful. The art of governing is based on the time-honored tradition of compromise. We are not going to throw that away, and allow the majority to jam fringe far-left bills, through the Council.

As a moderate, conciliatory politician, I stand opposed to this repugnant legislation. I recommend that instead we compromise. If this is passed, the same extremist bills that moderates in both parties oppose will pass. If this is passed, not only will we see ridiculous polarization, but the extremist elements in both parties will decide what legislation passes, and moderates will become a simple afterthought.

Uh, technically speaking the "get rid of the filibuster" bill is LC 2.10 Ammendment to the Standing Orders

Either way, as I've said before both the federal government and the other 2 regional governments don't have a filibuster.

In fact the filibuster is especially dangerous in Lincoln as we currently don't have any way to table a bill; the only way to remove a bill from the floor is by having a final vote on it. In a worst case scenario, 3 legislators; and even less on smaller councils, could simply just filibuster the opposition/government's bills and freeze their slots in place forever.

At the very least we need a way to table a bill, but getting rid (or weakening) of the filibuster is important
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »

The solution is to create a way to table a bill, not removing the power of the minority party
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 06:22:42 PM »

Right wing logic:

>Ram through far right bills with a simple majority in the Lincoln Assembly
>Create system that doesn't allow anything to be done without a supermajority against a filibuster
>Rant about how ending the filibuster in Lincoln would be tyranny.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 06:25:44 PM »

Right wing logic:

>Ram through far right bills with a simple majority in the Lincoln Assembly
>Create system that doesn't allow anything to be done without a supermajority against a filibuster
>Rant about how ending the filibuster in Lincoln would be tyranny.

Umm, I wasn't even around for the first two, but is it really right to ram through bills about things like socializing the healthcare system, and making it harder for banks to flourish
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 09:10:36 PM »

Excellent amendment! I am not at all surprised that the councilor from New Jersey is opposed to majority rule; thankfully, he seems to be the only one. Tongue

(For the record, the 4/5 rule is intended to prevent a simple majority from amending the constitution unilaterally when the number of councilors is 3.)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 08:28:24 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2019, 09:06:29 AM by Councilor Suburban New Jersey Conservative »

Mr. Speaker, I would like to propose an amendment

3. In all elections for the Council, the number of councilors to be elected shall be determined according to the number of declared candidates - which does not include write-in candidates - contesting the election: either four three councilors shall be elected or one two minus the total number of candidates on the ballot, whichever is greater. At most, eleven,nine seven councilors may be elected.

12. The Council shall have the power to declare no confidence in the chancellor’s government. A motion of no confidence shall require a sufficient second to be voted on by the Council, and if this is achieved, a simple majority of councilors the Council's entire membership voting Aye or Nay is sufficient to declare non-confidence in the government. If a loss of confidence occurs in the government, the governor must call a snap election or appoint a new candidate for chancellor.

16. The Council shall be dissolved a week 24 hours before general and snap elections to provide for the election campaign period.

1. The Council shall have the power to propose amendments to this Constitution. Four-fifths Two-thirds of all sitting councilors are required to vote in favor of the Amendment for it to be approved by the Council, except in Concils with 3 members, where a unanimous vote shall be required. Once approved by the Council, amendments shall become operative following their ratification in a public referendum.

10. The Council, on the first day after the governor’s appointment of a chancellor, the Speaker or any member of the Council shall introduce a motion, “that this Council has confidence in His (or Her) Excellency’s government”. A simple majority of councilors voting Aye or Nay shall be sufficient to establish confidence. If the new government should fail to gain the confidence of the Council, the appointed chancellor shall be dismissed and the governor shall advance the appointment of a new chancellor whom he shall submit to the judgement of the Council. This vote of confidence in the Chancellor may also take the form of a vote in a thread opened by the Governor about the State Opening of the Council of Lincoln

2. Article I.14 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be repealed in its entirety. The rest of Article I shall be renumbered accordingly

3. Article I.13 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows

Legislation shall fall into three categories in the Council once proposed in the Legislation Proposal Thread: government legislation, opposition legislation, and emergency legislation. Government legislation, which is proposed by councilors in the Chancellor’s government, shall have no less than three more slots than opposition legislation, which is proposed by any councilor not in government. The ratio of government to opposition slots shall be determined by the Standing Orders of Council Procedure. Emergency legislation, which must receive a sufficient second and third in the Proposal Thread by councilors other than the proposer, and must be sanctioned as necessary of emergency action by either the Chancellor or the Governor, shall not be confined by any slot as described above. An emergency designation may be denied by three-fifths of the Council voting to deny the designation.A bill under any of these three categories may be tabled, if it has been blocked or rejected by the Council and no additional action has been taken on it for 96 hours (no amendments proposed, no votes), tabling shall require a 60% vote of all Councilors, who are voting.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 08:54:08 AM »

3. In all elections for the Council, the number of councilors to be elected shall be determined according to the number of declared candidates - which does not include write-in candidates - contesting the election: either four three councilors shall be elected or one two minus the total number of candidates on the ballot, whichever is greater. At most, eleven,nine seven councilors may be elected.

3. A bill may be tabled, if it has been blocked or rejected by the Council and no additional action has been taken on it for 96 hours (no amendments proposed, no votes), tabling shall require a 60% vote of all Councilors, who are voting.

Uh, I'd argue the Tabling thing is not something that should go in the constitution. And even if you want to put it in the constitution anyways you still need to specify where exactly to put it:

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Lincoln_Constitution
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 09:07:15 AM »

3. A bill may be tabled, if it has been blocked or rejected by the Council and no additional action has been taken on it for 96 hours (no amendments proposed, no votes), tabling shall require a 60% vote of all Councilors, who are voting.

Uh, I'd argue the Tabling thing is not something that should go in the constitution. And even if you want to put it in the constitution anyways you still need to specify where exactly to put it:

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Lincoln_Constitution

It should amend Section 13 as written above
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 09:19:55 AM »

The ammendment is not friendly by the way. Tabling should be handled in the SOAP, not the constitution; and a 9 member council is already hard to manage, let alone an 11 member one!

Ammendment L 2:23 by S019 to LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment

Legislation shall fall into three categories in the Council once proposed in the Legislation Proposal Thread: government legislation, opposition legislation, and emergency legislation. Government legislation, which is proposed by councilors in the Chancellor’s government, shall have no less than three more slots than opposition legislation, which is proposed by any councilor not in government. The ratio of government to opposition slots shall be determined by the Standing Orders of Council Procedure. Emergency legislation, which must receive a sufficient second and third in the Proposal Thread by councilors other than the proposer, and must be sanctioned as necessary of emergency action by either the Chancellor or the Governor, shall not be confined by any slot as described above. An emergency designation may be denied by three-fifths of the Council voting to deny the designation.A bill under any of these three categories may be tabled, if it has been blocked or rejected by the Council and no additional action has been taken on it for 96 hours (no amendments proposed, no votes), tabling shall require a 60% vote of all Councilors, who are voting.

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Status: Debate for 24 h after which a vote shall be made on the ammendment
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 08:00:13 AM »

I don't support the seat reduction. Regional governments should ideally be a good starting point for new players, and making seats more scarce isn't going to help accomplish that.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »

I agree with Councilor Ninja, and I would add that, more members allows more people to get involved in the game
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »

Councillors, a vote is now open on the following ammendment

Ammendment L 2:23 by S019 to LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain
This vote shall last for 24h or until all Councillors have voted
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 05:37:19 PM »

Aye
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 05:49:31 PM »

Nay
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »

Nay, mainly because of tabling being in the standing orders rather than constitution like Tack said.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 10:57:24 PM »

NAY

This is all just awful, frankly. #ReduceSeatsNow
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to: