LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment (Sent to referendum)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:56:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment (Sent to referendum)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment (Sent to referendum)  (Read 4450 times)
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2019, 07:59:56 PM »

Nay
Why would we make it all even?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2019, 07:21:41 PM »

Well, this is what happens when I forget to DM people Sad

Anyways, the vote on Amendment L 2:36 by S019 to LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment is now closed

Aye: 1 (SNJC)
Abstain: 0
Nay: 3 (Pyro, tack50, Ninja)
Not voting: 4 (Zaybay, Griffin, Dipper Josh, BG-NY)
LoA: 1 (lfromnj)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »

I motion for a final vote, 24 hours to object
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2019, 05:46:08 PM »

I object

And would like to propose another amendment, tonight
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2019, 08:15:37 PM »

While I'm not fully satisfied with the differences between legislative size and candidate counts on the larger end of things (with 7-member chambers; a difference of as little as 2 as opposed to 3), it is a minor difference, a step in the right direction and feel comfortable supporting this if it comes to a final vote as-is. It also has done a better job at addressing these gaps on the smaller end of things and makes possible a 3-person chamber if the situation merits such (which is something I did not include due to a belief of there being resistance in the chamber to that).
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2019, 08:42:05 PM »

Here’s an amendment, accidentally modified my old one, when I meant to quote it, so now I’m quoting the modified one

This makes even Councils less common, and is a moderate measure

I have an amendment
To try and get the concerns brought up by the Governor solved, here's my proposed amendment.

This restores the part about amendment ratification to its original wording (a 2/3 majority in all cases except for 3 member Councils where a unanimous vote is required). The underlying numbers are the same as with Griffin's wording (5 councillors when the Council has 7 members; 4 Councillors when the Council has 5 members); but I felt it was better to have simpler wording.

This also adds a 3 member Council option in cases where we may have very few candidates. Getting to 5 is easier than getting to 7. A 5 member election can be performed with 6 candidates (only 1 loser) while a 7 member election needs 9 (2 losers). I considered bumping the 5 member Council requirement up to 7 candidates; but a 3 member election with 6 candidates felt a bit harsh and if we want an odd number of Councillors in all circumstances, there aren't many other options.

Amendment L 2:33 by tack50 to LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment

Better Lincoln Governance Amendment
A constitutional Amendment to Make the Governance of the Lincoln Region Easier

SECTION I: BETTER GOVERNANCE

1. Article I.3 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

3. In all elections for the Council, the number of Councilors to be elected shall be as follows:
a) In cases where there are 6 candidates on the ballot or less (excluding write-ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 5, if there are less than 5 candidates, all candidates are elected
b) In cases where there are between 7 and 8 candidates on the ballot (excluding write-ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 7
c) In cases where there are between 9 and 11 candidates on the ballot (excluding write ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 9
d) In cases where there are more than 11 candidates on the ballot (excluding write-ins), the number of Councilors elected shall be 10.

five, except in cases where there are more than 9 candidates, in which case the number of Councilors to be elected shall be seven.

2. Article I.12 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

12. The Council shall have the power to declare no confidence in the Chancellor’s government. A motion of no confidence shall require a sufficient second to be voted on by the Council, and if this is achieved, a simple majority of the membership of the Council voting Aye or Nay is sufficient to declare non-confidence in the government. If a loss of confidence occurs in the government, the governor must call a snap election or appoint a new candidate for Chancellor.

3. Article I.16 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

16. The Council shall be dissolved 72 hours before general and snap elections to provide for the election campaign period.

4. Article VI.1 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

1. The Council shall have the power to propose amendments to this Constitution. Two-thirds of all sitting Councillors are required to vote in favor of the Amendment for it to be approved by the Council; except in Councils with 3 members, where a unanimous vote of all 3 Councillors shall be required In cases where the Council consists of 5 members, two-thirds of all sitting Councilors are required to vote in favor of the Amendment for it to be approved by the Council. In cases where the Council consists of 7 members, Four-fifths three-fifths of all sitting Councilors are required to vote in favor of the Amendment for it to be approved by the Council. Once approved by the Council, amendments shall become operative following their ratification in a public referendum by a majority of the vote.

SECTION II: CODIFYING THE STATUS QUO

1. Article I.10 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

10. The Council, on the first day after the Governor’s appointment of a Chancellor, the Speaker or any member of the Council shall introduce a motion, “that this Council has confidence in His (or Her) Excellency’s government”. A simple majority of Councilors voting Aye or Nay shall be sufficient to establish confidence. If the new government should fail to gain the confidence of the Council, the appointed Chancellor shall be dismissed and the Governor shall advance the appointment of a new Chancellor whom he shall submit to the judgement of the Council. This vote of confidence in the Chancellor may also take the form of a vote in a thread opened by the Governor about the State Opening of the Council of Lincoln.

2. Article I.14 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be repealed in its entirety. The rest of Article I shall be renumbered accordingly.

Sponsor feedback: Origination

I am looking forward to Griff's opinion on these changes.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2019, 11:01:45 AM »

Ok, I don't know what to do here. I'll drop the call for a final vote (even if I should put an objection vote instead) so we can debate (and hopefully defeat) SNJC's amendment. More debate can't be a bad thing I guess

Also, Council expansion is very much not moderate SNJC. You can argue on the merits and downsides of council reduction, but there is no one in this chamber that actively wants a larger Council.

By the way, if the Chancellor wants, he can push for cloture, which would inmediately override the amendment debate. That does require a 2/3 vote though.

In the mean time:

Amendment L 2:44 by S019 to LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment

3. In all elections for the Council, the number of Councilors to be elected shall be as follows:
a) In cases where there are 6 candidates on the ballot or less (excluding write-ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 5, if there are less than 5 candidates, all candidates are elected
b) In cases where there are between 7 and 8 candidates on the ballot (excluding write-ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 7
c) In cases where there are between 9 and 11 candidates on the ballot (excluding write ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 9
d) In cases where there are more than 11 candidates on the ballot (excluding write-ins), the number of Councilors elected shall be 10.

five, except in cases where there are more than 9 candidates, in which case the number of Councilors to be elected shall be seven.

12. The Council shall have the power to declare no confidence in the Chancellor’s government. A motion of no confidence shall require a sufficient second to be voted on by the Council, and if this is achieved, a simple majority of the membership of the Council voting Aye or Nay is sufficient to declare non-confidence in the government. If a loss of confidence occurs in the government, the governor must call a snap election or appoint a new candidate for Chancellor.

16. The Council shall be dissolved 72 hours before general and snap elections to provide for the election campaign period.

1. The Council shall have the power to propose amendments to this Constitution. Two-thirds of all sitting Councillors are required to vote in favor of the Amendment for it to be approved by the Council; except in Councils with 3 members, where a unanimous vote of all 3 Councillors shall be required In cases where the Council consists of 5 members, two-thirds of all sitting Councilors are required to vote in favor of the Amendment for it to be approved by the Council. In cases where the Council consists of 7 members, Four-fifths three-fifths of all sitting Councilors are required to vote in favor of the Amendment for it to be approved by the Council. Once approved by the Council, amendments shall become operative following their ratification in a public referendum by a majority of the vote.

10. The Council, on the first day after the Governor’s appointment of a Chancellor, the Speaker or any member of the Council shall introduce a motion, “that this Council has confidence in His (or Her) Excellency’s government”. A simple majority of Councilors voting Aye or Nay shall be sufficient to establish confidence. If the new government should fail to gain the confidence of the Council, the appointed Chancellor shall be dismissed and the Governor shall advance the appointment of a new Chancellor whom he shall submit to the judgement of the Council. This vote of confidence in the Chancellor may also take the form of a vote in a thread opened by the Governor about the State Opening of the Council of Lincoln.

2. Article I.14 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be repealed in its entirety. The rest of Article I shall be renumbered accordingly.

Sponsor feedback: Hostile
Status: 24 hours for debate, after which a vote shall be opened
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2019, 04:43:05 PM »

This amendment is just terrible; why even have elections if all of the candidates are going to win half the time?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2019, 10:29:27 AM »

Councillors, a vote is now open on the following amendment

Amendment L 2:44 by S019 to LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain
This vote shall last for 24 hours or until all Councillors have voted
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2019, 10:30:09 AM »

Nay
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »

Nay.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2019, 11:00:40 AM »

AYE
Dipper Josh

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2019, 05:21:43 PM »

Nay
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2019, 05:23:12 PM »

Abstain
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2019, 06:07:42 PM »

Nay
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2019, 10:39:29 PM »

Nay
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2019, 01:18:18 PM »

The vote on Amendment L 2:44 by S019 to LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment is now closed.

Aye: 1 (SNJC)
Abstain: 1 (Ninja)
Nay: 6 (tack50, Pyro, thr33, Dipper Josh, Griffin, lfromnj)
Not voting: 1 (Zaybay)

So the amendment is rejected
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2019, 01:44:00 PM by tack50 »

After some thinking, I'm introducing this amendment. This will make the conditions for automatic recall harder. I considered eliminating automatic recall alltogether, but I think it's still a nice tool to have although the current requirements might be a bit too strict.

Amendment L 2:45 by tack50 to LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment

a) In cases where there are 5 candidates on the ballot or less (excluding write-ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 3
b) In cases where there are between 6 and 8 candidates on the ballot (excluding write-ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 5
c) In cases where there are 9 or more candidates on the ballot (excluding write ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 7

2. Article I.8 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

8. Whenever a vacancy should occur in the composition of the Council, a new councilor shall be chosen by means of a by-election to fill the vacated seat. A seat on the council shall be considered vacated upon the resignation, recall, impeachment of the previous occupant; failure of the elected councilor to swear in within one week of the opening of the legislative session; failure of the councilor to vote on four six consecutive pieces of legislation without publicly declaring absence; or absence of the councilor from debate for a period of thirty consecutive days, or seven hundred twenty consecutive hours.

3. Article I.12 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

4. Article I.16 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

5. Article VI.1 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

1. The Council shall have the power to propose amendments to this Constitution. Two-thirds of all sitting Councillors are required to vote in favor of the Amendment for it to be approved by the Council; except in Councils with 3 members, where a unanimous vote of all 3 Councillors shall be required Once approved by the Council, amendments shall become operative following their ratification in a public referendum by a majority of the vote.

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2019, 02:09:12 PM »

Looks very nice, Mr. Speaker! This will have my support when it comes to a vote.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »

I motion for a final vote, 24 hours to object
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2019, 08:11:38 PM »

I object
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2019, 10:20:18 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2019, 10:44:01 AM by tack50 »

Well, I'll use SNJC's objection to add an amendment myself. While lfromnj isn't resigning from the Council; after seeing what would happen if he had resigned I found out we have a problem with vacancies. They take way too long to fill. I've also just noticed that Lincoln bizarrely has absentee ballots (how do those even work??). So here's a solution

Amendment L 2:47 by tack50 to LC 2.15 Better Lincoln Governance Ammendment

a) In cases where there are 5 candidates on the ballot or less (excluding write-ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 3
b) In cases where there are between 6 and 8 candidates on the ballot (excluding write-ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 5
c) In cases where there are 9 or more candidates on the ballot (excluding write ins), the number of Councillors elected shall be 7

2. Article I.8 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

8. Whenever a vacancy should occur in the composition of the Council, a new councilor shall be chosen by means of a by-election to fill the vacated seat. A seat on the council shall be considered vacated upon the resignation, recall, impeachment of the previous occupant; failure of the elected councilor to swear in within one week of the opening of the legislative session; failure of the councilor to vote on four six consecutive pieces of legislation without publicly declaring absence; or absence of the councilor from debate for a period of thirty consecutive days, or seven hundred twenty consecutive hours.

3. Article I.12 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

4. Article I.16 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

5. Article V.7 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

7. Except in December, all elections for governor, Council, and federal Senate shall begin on the penultimate Friday of the given month. In December, all elections shall begin on the second Friday of the month. All special elections for governor and by-elections for Council shall begin on the second Friday following the creation of the vacancy to be filled; but if the vacancy shall occur on a Thursday Friday, Saturday or Sunday, the special election shall begin on the third first Friday following the creation of the vacancy. The appropriate election administrator shall open the voting booth at 12:00:00 AM, Eastern Standard Time. Voting shall continue for 72 hours, and no vote cast more than 72 hours after the voting booth was opened shall be considered valid. The election administrator must accept any absentee ballots cast no more than 168 hours prior to the commencement of the election.

6. Article VI.1 of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

1. The Council shall have the power to propose amendments to this Constitution. Two-thirds of all sitting Councillors are required to vote in favor of the Amendment for it to be approved by the Council; except in Councils with 3 members, where a unanimous vote of all 3 Councillors shall be required Once approved by the Council, amendments shall become operative following their ratification in a public referendum by a majority of the vote.

This allows vacancies that happen during a weekend to be filled the next weekend. Vacancies happening on weekdays are filled on the 2nd weekend.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2019, 08:10:20 PM »

I wonder if Suburban will introduce yet another amendment that everyone will vote down. Honestly soon you just need to move for cloture.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2019, 01:16:32 AM »

Motion for Cloture.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2019, 01:18:26 AM »

I'm resigned to the possibility of this passing

I'm not going to waste the Council's time and object to cloture

While I will still vote against this bill, despite my best efforts, it will pass, and I will not engage in futile opposition
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies