S.19.2-10: SNUSNU (Southern Nuclear Utilization Scheme Next-gen Update) =PASSED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:03:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.2-10: SNUSNU (Southern Nuclear Utilization Scheme Next-gen Update) =PASSED
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.19.2-10: SNUSNU (Southern Nuclear Utilization Scheme Next-gen Update) =PASSED  (Read 2340 times)
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2019, 12:51:38 AM »
« edited: May 24, 2019, 03:45:25 AM by Southern Deputy Speaker Muaddib »

Southern Nuclear Utilization Scheme Next-generation Update (SNUSNU)

Introductory Memorandum
As the Southern region already has the worlds biggest nuclear reactor. It is in the interest of all Southerners that programs that reduces the radioactive half life of waste be followed up on. As such this bill proposes to aid in the research of Next Generation Nuclear fuels. Namely Transuranium Elements (TRUs) as fuel, and the development of Resource-renewable Boiling Water Reactors (RBWRs) that enable the effective use of uranium resources. This will not only enable the existing waste to be used as power sources provide cheap power for all Southerners but further help combat climate change in a cost effective and environmentally responsible manner.

Section I
1.1 The southern region will fund research and development of next-generation nuclear reactors that use radioactive waste materials as fuel.
1.2 Funds for research can include but are not limited to:
     * Regional taxes on non renewable energy
     * Regional research grants
     * Regional levies or duties not otherwise earmarked for spending
1.3 Research may team up with other research programs in relation to this field. Provided the use of this technology is also available for use by the southern region.

Section II
2.1 The Southern region encourages the construction of next-generation nuclear power plants that use Transuranium Elements (TRUs) as fuel to combat Carbon Emissions.
2.2 The Southern region may build a state owned next-generation nuclear power plant at the discretion from a vote from Chamber of Delegates and assent of the Governor.

Section III
This shall come into effect upon the signing of this bill by the Governor.
Sponsor: Muaddib
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »

I support this on the grounds that nuclear energy is necessary as a transition from dirty fossil fuels to cleaner renewables.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 02:07:35 PM »

I really like nuclear energy and I believe research and construction of nuclear is a damn good way to advance the south forward.

I have my doubts about the severity of climate change but with that said this is a good idea.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:56:43 AM »

I support this on the grounds that nuclear energy is necessary as a transition from dirty fossil fuels to cleaner renewables.

I'm glad to see that there are those on the left that are embracing this as a common sense stopgap till the renewables are actually cost effective without the need to tax alternatives out the wazoo.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »

I'm glad to see that there are those on the left that are embracing this as a common sense stopgap till the renewables are actually cost effective without the need to tax alternatives out the wazoo.
I have misgivings about nuclear power due to the potential danger it can pose, but I believe that's a risk that has to be taken in order to reduce carbon emissions.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »

Good stuff, nuclear does have a bit of risk, I suppose, but if we're not stupid about it the risk is much smaller than the benefits. I guess I'll be the one to obligatorily mention that France uses mostly nuclear power and that's one of the things that functions best over there!

It looks like a good bill, I guess unless someone points out an error I think we should pass this.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 04:49:43 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2019, 11:01:44 AM by Representative fhtagn »

Good stuff, nuclear does have a bit of risk, I suppose, but if we're not stupid about it the risk is much smaller than the benefits. I guess I'll be the one to obligatorily mention that France uses mostly nuclear power and that's one of the things that functions best over there!

It looks like a good bill, I guess unless someone points out an error I think we should pass this.

Nuclear power is very safe, actually. Moreso than quite a few energy sources that we currently use in terms of deaths per trillion kilowatt hours.

Also worth noting that nuclear power is VERY heavily regulated and must meet very strict safety standards.  Plants here IRL are also unlikely to have catastrophic events take place because our buildings are meant to withstand a pressure detonation, so we aren't at risk of a Chernobyl-like incident taking place here.

In more recent times, you can also look at Fukushima, much of the problem with that event has more to do with prior safety concerns that made things worse, something we are less likely to worry about here.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 03:26:28 AM »

I motion for a final Vote
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 04:57:38 AM »

No objection.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 05:23:46 AM »

No objection.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 06:26:49 AM »

Nuclear power is very safe, actually. Moreso than quite a few energy sources that we currently use in terms of deaths per trillion kilowatt hours.

Also worth noting that nuclear power is VERY heavily regulated and must meet very strict safety standards.  Plants here IRL are also unlikely to have catastrophic events take place because our buildings are meant to withstand a pressure detonation, so we aren't at risk of a Chernobyl-like incident taking place here.

In more recent times, you can also look at Fukushima, much of the problem with that event has more to do with prior safety concerns that made things worse, something we are less likely to worry about here.

As you mentioned, Fukishima, Chernobyle, and Three Mile Island, are examples of the danger of nuclear power, something like solar, wind, or hydroelectric, is more advisable
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 06:33:03 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2019, 06:49:18 AM by Southern Deputy Speaker Muaddib »

@SNJC you should stick to Lincolnite debate instead if sticking your nose in issues south of the Mason-Dixon line.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 07:14:21 AM »

As you mentioned, Fukishima, Chernobyle, and Three Mile Island, are examples of the danger of nuclear power, something like solar, wind, or hydroelectric, is more advisable

And if you bothered actually reading what I said, those events are incredibly unlikely to occur where we are today because of very strict safety standards and how our buildings are made.

If you can't be bothered to read what I said before you reply, don't bother replying.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 07:16:54 AM »

And if you bothered actually reading what I said, those events are incredibly unlikely to occur where we are today because of very strict safety standards and how our buildings are made.

If you can't be bothered to read what I said before you reply, don't bother replying.

They can still happen, any risk is too much risk, especially since just one.of these can be very dangerous
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 07:26:02 AM »

They can still happen, any risk is too much risk, especially since just one.of these can be very dangerous

As you can clearly see on the chart, solar, wind, and hydroelectric have risks too.

Sit down, kid.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 07:26:49 AM »

Just like the risk of cutting yourself with your watermelon knife! Obviously we should therefore ban all watermelon knives, as any risk is too much risk and just one of these incidents can be very dangerous.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 08:53:16 AM »

Just like the risk of cutting yourself with your watermelon knife! Obviously we should therefore ban all watermelon knives, as any risk is too much risk and just one of these incidents can be very dangerous.
+

Also worth noting that nuclear power is VERY heavily regulated and must meet very strict safety standards.  Plants here IRL are also unlikely to have catastrophic events take place because our buildings are meant to withstand a pressure detonation, so we aren't at risk of a Chernobyl-like incident taking place here.

As you can clearly see on the chart, solar, wind, and hydroelectric have risks too.

Sit down, kid.

I think I should just reiterate what I said earlier:
@SNJC you should stick to Lincolnite debate instead if sticking your nose in issues south of the Mason-Dixon line.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »

There being no objections from the delegates, voting is now open for S.19.2-10: SNUSNU.
Sound the bells (Delegates will be DM'd) voting will be open for 48 hours.
Text of the bill reads as follows:

Introductory Memorandum
As the Southern region already has the worlds biggest nuclear reactor. It is in the interest of all Southerners that programs that reduces the radioactive half life of waste be followed up on. As such this bill proposes to aid in the research of Next Generation Nuclear fuels. Namely Transuranium Elements (TRUs) as fuel, and the development of Resource-renewable Boiling Water Reactors (RBWRs) that enable the effective use of uranium resources. This will not only enable the existing waste to be used as power sources provide cheap power for all Southerners but further help combat climate change in a cost effective and environmentally responsible manner.

Section I
1.1 The southern region will fund research and development of next-generation nuclear reactors that use radioactive waste materials as fuel.
1.3 Research may team up with other research programs in relation to this field. Provided the use of this technology is also available for use by the southern region.

Section II
2.1 The Southern region encourages the construction of next-generation nuclear power plants that use Transuranium Elements (TRUs) as fuel to combat Carbon Emissions.
2.2 The Southern region may build a state owned next-generation nuclear power plant at the discretion form a vote from Chamber of Delegates and assent of the Governor.

Section III

Voting options are
[   ] Aye
[   ] Nay
[   ] Abstain
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 08:23:58 PM »

Aye
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 08:33:49 PM »

Aye
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 03:06:53 AM »

Aye
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 07:33:26 AM »

Aye
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 09:31:30 AM »

Aye
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 10:53:43 AM »

Aye
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 03:43:13 AM »

VOTING IS CLOSED

Final Vote on S.19.2-10
[ 6 ] Aye
[ 0 ] Nay
[ 1 ] Absent

The Chamber of Delegates has voted in favor of SNUSNU

The bill now awaits the Governors signature:

Introductory Memorandum

Section I

Section II
2.2 The Southern region may build a state owned next-generation nuclear power plant at the discretion form a vote from Chamber of Delegates and assent of the Governor.

Section III
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies