Mr. Ratburn comes out as gay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Mr. Ratburn comes out as gay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mr. Ratburn comes out as gay  (Read 1380 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2019, 05:54:13 PM »

'Arthur' character Mr. Ratburn comes out as gay, gets married in season premiere

Mr. Ratburn from the children’s show “Arthur” got married to another man in the show’s 22nd season premiere, spurring effusive reactions from those who grew up watching the program.

The episode, titled “Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone,” starred lesbian actor Jane Lynch as a special guest and aired Monday on PBS.

According to TVLine, which first reported on the historic episode, the show began with Arthur and his friends discovering, to their great surprise, that Mr. Ratburn is engaged. The group of animal friends, who seem to perpetually remain 8 years old, find it hard to believe that teachers might have a life outside of school.

But there’s a plot twist: The woman they saw at the lunch is Mr. Ratburn’s sister, not fiancee. Instead, Mr. Ratburn is marrying another man (well, aardvark, actually) named Patrick.

Upon seeing how happy the couple looks together, the group decides not to break up the marriage after all.

Although “Arthur” reemerged circa 2016 with the popularity of angry Arthur memes, many were surprised to learn that the show is still on the air.

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 06:33:40 PM »

That's really stupid
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 06:36:53 PM »

Morbidly curious as to how the Furry community will be taking this.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 07:03:44 PM »

No it's not. There will be tens (hundreds?) of thousands of kids who watch this and later turn out to be LGBTQ, and for those who come from anti-LGBTQ families, it may be their only exposure to the idea that it's OK to be gay.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 07:07:24 PM »

No it's not. There will be tens (hundreds?) of thousands of kids who watch this and later turn out to be LGBTQ, and for those who come from anti-LGBTQ families, it may be their only exposure to the idea that it's OK to be gay.

It's a children's cartoon, I don't want a cartoon flaunting sexuality, I want them to be entertaining to my (hypothetical) children, not teach them the message of social justice. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 07:13:13 PM »

It's a children's cartoon, I don't want a cartoon flaunting sexuality, I want them to be entertaining to my (hypothetical) children, not teach them the message of social justice. 

So you don't want any straight characters in any cartoon? Really??
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 07:22:52 PM »

I don't want the characters sexuality to be known in a cartoon? Why? Because it doesn't matter for god's sake.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 07:32:12 PM »

I don't want the characters sexuality to be known in a cartoon? Why? Because it doesn't matter for god's sake.

It does. The children are already exposed to such questions and I'd rather have them being educated in this manner than by overhearing musings of their their gay-hating uncle Bob.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 07:34:03 PM »

Are we sure Mr. Ratburn is following the half plus seven rule? Patrick looks like he could be his son

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 07:38:02 PM »

It does. The children are already exposed to such questions and I'd rather have them being educated in this manner than by overhearing musings of their their gay-hating uncle Bob.

If you want to teach your children about this culture then that's your right, but at least in the US Arthur recieves tax payer funding, and I think it is questionable to teach our young people about this as a government.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »

If you want to teach your children about this culture then that's your right, but at least in the US Arthur recieves tax payer funding, and I think it is questionable to teach our young people about this as a government.

By this definition the U.S. government shouldn't give taxpayer funding to any children show that touches on the subject of racial tolerance, because some people paying said taxes might find it offensive.

Also, what "culture"?
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »

The upside is at least all this retconning so far is happening to stuff I never really cared about.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 07:55:45 PM »

This doesn't really make sense seeing as most of the time characters' sexuality is already known.  I mean, honestly, how many straight characters/couples can you name in children's shows versus LGBT ones?  It's only an issue to some people because LGBT people are getting slightly more representation in children's TV than they had before, which was practically zero because networks were too afraid of offending people or being accused of spreading ZE GAI UGGENDA.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 07:55:52 PM »

Bisexuals exist too you bigots.

Assume nothing.

Nothing.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 09:56:27 PM »

Getting married is " flaunting sexuality"? Cartoons have had hundreds if not thousands of wedding scenes over the years. Have you ever once worried that such scenes flaunted sexuality?
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 10:03:15 PM »

Anyone who's offended by this is far more of a snowflake than any leftists are. there's literally nothing sexual or inappropriate for children about this whatsoever, and it will also help LGBT children realize they're normal and others are like them too.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 12:57:20 AM »

The children are already exposed to such questions and I'd rather have them being educated in this manner than by overhearing musings of their their gay-hating uncle Bob.

Anyone who's offended by this is far more of a snowflake than any leftists are.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 08:53:47 AM »

What!?

Well ok then ig i'm fine with this
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 09:22:10 AM »

Imagine being told in 1998, when Arthur first premiered, that Mr. Ratburn would be trending on Twitter in 2019 for coming out as gay. Even though I wasn't born until 2000, I wouldn't believe it.

In all seriousness, though, I'm glad that they did this, even though I haven't watched Arthur in years. Normalizing being gay is a good thing; that's how we get to an era of LGBT acceptance.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 09:28:49 AM »

I don't get why anyone has a reaction other than "Okay, that's cool I guess." Best case scenario, some children will learn that it's okay to be in a non-heterosexual relationship. Worst case scenario, some episode of a kids' show that hasn't been relevant in over a decade has a gay marriage in it. I get why people would think that this is an historic benchmark in television, and I also get why people don't want today's youth to be exposed to such issues such as social justice and the concept of being LGBT early on, but at the end of the day, it's a freaking kids' show.

Also, who even watches Arthur anymore? The ratings are down, and a large heap of Western children now get their entertainment from watching YouTube videos on their moms' iPads.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »

and a large heap of Western children now get their entertainment from watching YouTube videos on their moms' iPads.

This is a bad thing.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 02:14:43 PM »

Imagine being told in 1998, when Arthur first premiered, that Mr. Ratburn would be trending on Twitter in 2019 for coming out as gay. Even though I wasn't born until 2000, I wouldn't believe it.

Yeah, my first response would be "What's a tweeter?"
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 05:59:47 PM »

and a large heap of Western children now get their entertainment from watching YouTube videos on their moms' iPads.

This is a bad thing.

Hell yes. Spiderman & Elsa is a strong example.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 06:39:47 PM »

Anyone who's offended by this is far more of a snowflake than any leftists are. there's literally nothing sexual or inappropriate for children about this whatsoever, and it will also help LGBT children realize they're normal and others are like them too.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »

This is a bad thing.

Hell yes. Spiderman & Elsa is a strong example.

Let it go. Let it go.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies