Mr. Ratburn comes out as gay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:02:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Mr. Ratburn comes out as gay
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mr. Ratburn comes out as gay  (Read 1395 times)
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 02:33:09 PM »

No it's not. There will be tens (hundreds?) of thousands of kids who watch this and later turn out to be LGBTQ, and for those who come from anti-LGBTQ families, it may be their only exposure to the idea that it's OK to be gay.

FIRST OF ALL PEOPLE DO NOT """"TURN OUT""" TO BE LGBTQ SMFH
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 04:32:15 PM »

No it's not. There will be tens (hundreds?) of thousands of kids who watch this and later turn out to be LGBTQ, and for those who come from anti-LGBTQ families, it may be their only exposure to the idea that it's OK to be gay.

Yes they do. it's not like you're born knowing exactly what you're sexually attracted to.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 10:24:20 PM »

Next you'll tell me Francine and Binky are gay.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 10:33:07 PM »

Gay characters have existed in children's media for forever now. If you think Peppermint Patty's straight you are in serious denial.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 10:36:24 PM »

yeah it’s actually vaccines
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2019, 12:42:49 AM »

Gay characters have existed in children's media for forever now. If you think Peppermint Patty's straight you are in serious denial.
While Marcie has a crush for her "sir", I fully expect Patty to marry Chuck when they become adults.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2019, 11:29:04 AM »

It's a children's cartoon, I don't want a cartoon flaunting sexuality, I want them to be entertaining to my (hypothetical) children, not teach them the message of social justice. 

So you don't want any straight characters in any cartoon? Really??

I don't want the characters sexuality to be known in a cartoon? Why? Because it doesn't matter for god's sake.
Do you have any idea how many weddings we had on our elementary school playground?  Hell, I got married and divorced all within a half hour in fifth grade...and the entire grade showed up for it.  The flower girls even got in trouble for picking grass and had to sit by the door for 5 minutes.

Your reaction is abnormal and your attitude will hurt your hopefully hypothetical children.
John Henry Eden
Rookie
Uganda

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2019, 08:37:42 PM »

not gonna lie i thought he was a closet nazi
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2019, 10:21:32 PM »

While Marcie has a crush for her "sir", I fully expect Patty to marry Chuck when they become adults.
Wait, WHAT?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 11:17:22 AM »

It's a children's cartoon, I don't want a cartoon flaunting sexuality, I want them to be entertaining to my (hypothetical) children, not teach them the message of social justice. 

I don't want the characters sexuality to be known in a cartoon? Why? Because it doesn't matter for god's sake.
Do you have any idea how many weddings we had on our elementary school playground?  Hell, I got married and divorced all within a half hour in fifth grade...and the entire grade showed up for it.  The flower girls even got in trouble for picking grass and had to sit by the door for 5 minutes.

Your reaction is abnormal and your attitude will hurt your hopefully hypothetical children.

Yeah, interest in/curiosity about romance is completely normal for children and the idea that it isn't, is only ever trotted out to legitimize people's homophobic """corruption of the innocent""" attitudes.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2019, 07:17:33 AM »

Yeah, interest in/curiosity about romance is completely normal for children and the idea that it isn't, is only ever trotted out to legitimize people's homophobic """corruption of the innocent""" attitudes.

Speaking of which...

Alabama Public Television (APT) has refused to broadcast a cartoon which shows a same-sex wedding.

The first episode of the 22nd series of children's programme Arthur features the character Mr Ratburn marrying his partner, Patrick.

Programming director Mike McKenzie said broadcasting it would break parents' trust in the network.

In a statement, Mr McKenzie said "parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision", and that children "younger than the 'target' audience" might watch without parental knowledge.

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »

That's just so petty.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 01:29:14 PM »

Do you think, for instance, that Arthur's parents' sexuality isn't known?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 03:20:00 PM »

Speaking of which...

Alabama Public Television (APT) has refused to broadcast a cartoon which shows a same-sex wedding.

The first episode of the 22nd series of children's programme Arthur features the character Mr Ratburn marrying his partner, Patrick.

Programming director Mike McKenzie said broadcasting it would break parents' trust in the network.

In a statement, Mr McKenzie said "parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision", and that children "younger than the 'target' audience" might watch without parental knowledge.

Alabunga strikes again!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »

Alabama is what non-PC people might call a "sh!thole state".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 03:43:19 PM »

The real issue is why would Arthur portray a gay character as a rat? Or a Jewish character as a monkey? Why is no one troubled with this?! Huh
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2019, 11:35:43 PM »

Speaking of which...

Alabunga strikes again!

Uhh, excuse you! For your information it is now Talibama.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2019, 04:16:27 PM »

and a large heap of Western children now get their entertainment from watching YouTube videos on their moms' iPads.

This is a bad thing.

Hell yes. Spiderman & Elsa is a strong example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSQxjB1Jdkw
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2019, 05:16:23 PM »

The real issue is why would Arthur portray a gay character as a rat? Or a Jewish character as a monkey? Why is no one troubled with this?! Huh

Also, it features miscegenation, since Mr. Ratburn's husband is not a fellow rat. No wonder Alabama has acted quickly and decisively.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2019, 08:08:16 PM »

Why not?

Also, Alabama's recent streak makes it clear that anyone who thinks Doug Jones could get re-elected is delusional.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2019, 08:53:06 AM »

Why not?

Also, Alabama's recent streak makes it clear that anyone who thinks Doug Jones could get re-elected is delusional.

Yes, Jones was elected by a fluke, in off-year special election, against the worst possible candidate, who still lost by a hair. And if the Senate control was at stake in 2017, we wouldn't have Republicans casting protest write-in votes.

I'm pretty convinced that even if Moore is somehow nominated again, Jones is a toast in a regular election, especially with Trump at the top of the ballot.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2019, 10:36:34 PM »

I'm more concerned about the age of his husband than the wedding tbh, honey what iz you doing
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2019, 01:16:08 AM »

I've never had a more "uhhhh ok I guess" reaction to anything in my life.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies