Ramblings on the House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:45:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Ramblings on the House
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ramblings on the House  (Read 991 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 01:59:28 PM »

I will say privately I had been looking into a cap for the Southern Chamber. Now as for if bicameralism works and should we keep it, I wholeheartedly believe we ought to keep the system we have. Now as for people running for office, I’m of the opinion anyone should be able to run for anything. New players have every right to jump into whatever office or race they’d like just as an old player does.

But, this creates electability issues, for example I can’t just run for the federal government right off the bat, and expect to win, the electorate would vote for a more tenured politician
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 03:10:24 PM »

I will say privately I had been looking into a cap for the Southern Chamber. Now as for if bicameralism works and should we keep it, I wholeheartedly believe we ought to keep the system we have. Now as for people running for office, I’m of the opinion anyone should be able to run for anything. New players have every right to jump into whatever office or race they’d like just as an old player does.

But, this creates electability issues, for example I can’t just run for the federal government right off the bat, and expect to win, the electorate would vote for a more tenured politician

This is why I’ve floated House expansion in there - this way new players can actually compete with older ones on a more even footing.

Here’s how I view political mobility

New User——>State Legislature

State Legislature——>House of Representatives

State Legislature——->Governorship

House of Reps——> Governorship
House of Reps——>Senate

Governorship——>House of Reps
Governorship——->Senate

Senate——->Position in Executive or Judicial Branch

Reducing state legislatures eliminates new politicians, also new users need practice rather than being forced to run for federal government, with no experience

This is a mostly accurate mobility map right now, but the main point of my argument is that it should not be - new players should be able to run for at least the House much more often than they do.

Also you don’t need “practice” in a regional legislature before you can go to the House. I can attest to this myself.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »

I agree with YT. With a good and active enough campaign, people don't care about experience that much. Going directly to the federal house or Senate is doable
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 04:25:36 PM »

While there are a lot of fun topics that can only be addressed federally, I found being a Regional legislator much more enjoyable and every bit as impactful as being in Congress. No one should think of Regional legislature as any less prestigious than Congress.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »

While there are a lot of fun topics that can only be addressed federally, I found being a Regional legislator much more enjoyable and every bit as impactful as being in Congress. No one should think of Regional legislature as any less prestigious than Congress.

Yes, and a key portion of this is to stop thinking of regional legislature as the "only place where you can start before going to the federal government". It should be just as possible and acceptable to start in the House and then go to regional government.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 05:26:49 PM »

Same. My current tenure as Lincoln Councillor has been just as enjoyable, if not more; than my Senate half-term. That might be because I'm speaker as well; though I do find the proper speaker jobs (bringing bills to the floor, keeping the noticeboard uptated, opening/closing votes, etc) to not be all that fun and be quite time consuming.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 06:35:12 PM »

This. While I haven't served federally, I love serving Lincoln and think there's a lot we can address here.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 07:11:25 PM »

I'll just point out that as designed, getting elected to the House versus a regional legislature presented roughly the same amount of difficulty to players following the reset - primarily in the number of votes needed to win. Since the rapid expansion of regional legislatures, however, we have once again made the House a less appealing venue for newer players, who may feel obligated to work their way up through a region before running for such a thing (in part you now only need like half the votes to get elected to a legislature as in an at-large House race).
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »

Same. My current tenure as Lincoln Councillor has been just as enjoyable, if not more; than my Senate half-term. That might be because I'm speaker as well; though I do find the proper speaker jobs (bringing bills to the floor, keeping the noticeboard uptated, opening/closing votes, etc) to not be all that fun and be quite time consuming.

Thats what I hated about the Senate. Updating a notice board no one reads. And in the 13th session we passed more than 60 bills and resolutions which got super tedious to keep up to date.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies