Ramblings on the House (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:15:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Ramblings on the House (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ramblings on the House  (Read 995 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: May 15, 2019, 12:29:30 PM »

You beat me to it, but I largely agree with what has been said here. This forming imbalance frankly has played a huge role in my concern for the game as of late and my entrance as a presidential candidate. I'm not sure I agree with expanding the House unless we could curtail the number of regional offices above and beyond even what we did during consolidation (though prior to the final plan in 2015-16, I did support a House with 16-18 members).

The post-reset game was designed with a specific set of criteria in mind and the number of offices (along with the balance between federal and regional) was not chosen at random. The game works best in the current iteration when there are ~40 elected offices; it blows my mind that we now have more elected offices in a 3-region system than we did in 2015 with a 5-region system on the verge of collapse.

One thing is clear, though: the imbalance is entirely on the regions. This was why I also supported a constitutional cap during the ConCon on the number of regional legislative offices that could exist (with a Census-like system that reapportioned every two months and that discouraged strategic registration) - because I knew one day, people would forget and people would repeat the same mistakes in one format or another. Ultimately, this will cause big problems if left unchecked. We can't have 7, 9 or even 11-member parliamentary systems in every region and expect things to be sustainable.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 01:14:41 AM »

I tried to bring back Adam's idea for a cap on regional legislatures in 2017 and it was shot to pieces by several people.

If elected President, I intend to make it my mission to put together some coalition at the federal level to revisit this and engineer a solution in some way, shape or form. Things are getting out of control.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 07:11:25 PM »

I'll just point out that as designed, getting elected to the House versus a regional legislature presented roughly the same amount of difficulty to players following the reset - primarily in the number of votes needed to win. Since the rapid expansion of regional legislatures, however, we have once again made the House a less appealing venue for newer players, who may feel obligated to work their way up through a region before running for such a thing (in part you now only need like half the votes to get elected to a legislature as in an at-large House race).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies