Daycare vs Stay At Home Parent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:20:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Daycare vs Stay At Home Parent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If/when you have children, do you prefer that (at least prior to Elementary School) they attend daycare or that either you or your spouse remains at home with them?
Daycare

Stay At Home Parent

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Daycare vs Stay At Home Parent  (Read 1312 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 03:39:57 PM »
« edited: May 16, 2019, 03:45:34 PM by Lechasseur »

When I was little, my parents hired a nanny. I think I got some pretty nice experiences just being out and about as a small child that I wouldn't have gotten if I was staying at home with a parent or going to daycare. So that would probably be my top choice, even if I'm guessing it can be cost-prohibitive.

I had a nanny until I was 4, but then we left Paris to move to the US. I went to daycare or whatever it was called afterwards, but then we moved again elsewhere in the US when I was 5 just before I started Kindergarten and after that move my mom never worked again (the moving for my Dad's work made my mom getting a stable job too difficult) so after that she was a stay at home mom.

So yeah I was essentially raised with my mom at home (I can't remember when she was working, or very vaguely), and I think my brother and I were much better off having been raised with a parent at home.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 12:33:58 AM »

While I've been in grad school, my wife has worked full-time while I've stayed at home in the mornings, then my infant daughter has gone to daycare for the afternoons, and then I'd go to work. I like that half-time daycare allows her to get in some regular social interaction with other children her age, but she still gets plenty of time at home with me.

However, we'll be moving out of state soon, and I'll be starting a full-time position. The current plan is for my wife to stay home full-time after the move, but we'll have to see how finances shake out.

Where are you moving to?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 01:02:40 AM »

I like the idea of having a cheap Filipino au pair like families do in HK and Singapore, but the fear of my child developing a Filipino accent is a dealbreaker...
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 06:48:23 AM »

Ideally it should be the latter until they start school but I'm aware it's very hard to do in modern society.

Personally mum was not working until I was 3, then I did the daycare thing.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 08:10:53 AM »

Preferably, I will be making enough money for my wife to be able to stay at home, at least while the kids are very young.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 06:57:48 PM »

My wife and I were both working full time when my kids were pre-K. My work site had excellent daycare available so I shuttled the kids with me to work and dropped them off for 9-5 daycare. I would recommend it as an option when its feasible.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »

Grandparents raise kids. (sane)
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 07:57:16 PM »

Both of my parents will be retired before I even think about having kids. It would be nice if they could watch them at least some of the time. Some day care would be nice for the socializing aspect.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 08:01:12 PM »

That wasn't an option for us since one set lived 400 miles away and the other was 1000 miles from us.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 08:02:37 PM »

A lot depends on the stay-at-home parent.

If my two (2) granddaughters who had lived with us had been home with my wife all day, and my wife was the stay-at-home grandma, that probably would have been wonderful, because she has a special connection with little kids.  They all love her, and she loves them.  That's why she's a great preschool teacher; she can be strict and stern with them while being loving and getting them to love her.

If they had stayed home with their mother, that would have been . . . er . . . "different".  She'd have left them in their swing or watching TV endlessly.  In that case, daycare would have likely been better.  
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 02:56:25 AM »

I will be working in the Bay Area after graduation.  Assuming I end up staying there when I get married and have kids, then it seems like daycare will be necessary financially given the cost of living. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies