LC 2.4 A Bill to Exterminate Gun Violence (Referred to referendum) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:48:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.4 A Bill to Exterminate Gun Violence (Referred to referendum) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 2.4 A Bill to Exterminate Gun Violence (Referred to referendum)  (Read 5795 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« on: May 15, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »

Don't forget about the watermelon knives.

Roll Eyes
(Sigh)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 06:49:59 PM »

The only thing that needs extermination here is this bill.

You are a liberal, you support gun control
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 06:52:53 PM »

Most Liberals in this game oppose gun control.

Would you all rather have crazy people running around with guns or this common-sense law written by a centrist-leaning conservative
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »

You are a conservative, you oppose gun control

Gun control has like 70-90 percent of support, it is much more likely to have an anti-gun conservative than a pro-gun liberal
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 06:54:53 PM »

Gun control has like 70-90 percent of support, it is much more likely to have an anti-gun conservative than a pro-gun liberal

Also why not just quote LT
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 10:08:15 PM »

Gun control has like 70-90 percent of support, it is much more likely to have an anti-inflammatory conservative than a pro-gun liberal

A clear majority of liberals in this game are pro-gun. Meanwhile there are maybe 2, 3 conservatives who are pro-gun control.

I am sure I can get four votes out of the Council, many of the members are much more left-wing, and there are some moderate conservatives, who may back it as well. If it needs to be watered down that is fine, but I am confident that the votes are there
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »

Beyond the watermelon knife memes, I have to say I like the intent of the bill, but it goes way too far and I say this as someone who is generally pro gun control. Here's my ammendment, which will give it a more bill-like structure and take out/soften some of the more controversial sections:

Ammendment L 2:27 by tack50 to LC 2.4 A Bill to Exterminate Gun Violence

A bill to Exterminate Gun Violence

1. The sale of any automatic firearms; or semi-automatic firearms with a firing rate higher than 1 bullet/second is hereby prohibited in the Region of Lincoln.

2. The practice of concealed carry is hereby banned in all states and territories under the jurisdiction of Lincoln

3. Background checks shall be conducted on all people who desire to buy a gun in Lincoln. These background checks shall last for 2 weeks. Buyers of firearms shall turn over all documents required for performing these background checks.

4. All residents of Lincoln convicted of a violent crime shall be banned from purchasing a gun or firearm for 15 years after the end of their sentence. Violent crimes include rape, murder, homicide, robbery, agression, car theft, domestic violence, kidnapping, terrorism and terrorist threats. Judges may also give this sentence to people convicted of other crimes.

5. The sale of firearms to any person under the age of 21 shall be prohibited in this region.

6. The Lincoln Gun Control Repeal Act of 2018 is hereby repealed

7. The Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018 is hereby reinstated with all its provisions intact, as originally passed by the old Lincoln Assembly

This amendment shall replace the bill in its entirety

Sponsor feedback: 24h to specify, otherwise assume unfriendly

Friendly
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 03:06:54 PM »

After hearing Mr. R's concerns, here's a 2nd ammendment (ironic Tongue)

Ammendment L 2:28 by tack50 to LC 2.4 A Bill to Exterminate Gun Violence

A bill to Exterminate Gun Violence

1. The sale of any automatic firearms or semi-automatic firearms with a firing rate higher than 1 bullet/second is hereby prohibited in the Region of Lincoln.

2. The practice of concealed carry is hereby banned in all states and territories under the jurisdiction of Lincoln

3. Background checks shall be conducted on all people who desire to buy a gun in Lincoln. These background checks shall last for 2 weeks. Buyers of firearms shall turn over all documents required for performing these background checks.

4. All residents of Lincoln convicted of a violent crime shall be banned from purchasing a gun or firearm for 15 years after the end of their sentence. Violent crimes include rape, murder, homicide, robbery, agression, car theft, domestic violence, kidnapping, terrorism and terrorist threats. Judges may also give this sentence to people convicted of other crimes.

5. The sale of firearms to any person under the age of 21 shall be prohibited in this region.

6. The Lincoln Gun Control Repeal Act of 2018 is hereby repealed

7. The Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018 is hereby reinstated with all its provisions intact, as originally passed by the old Lincoln Assembly

Sponsor feedback: 24h to specify, otherwise assumed unfriendly

Hostile, but only, because I liked L 2.27
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2019, 06:17:55 PM by Councilor Suburban New Jersey Conservative »

Aye
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 11:34:17 PM »

At first, I liked the current bill, but then I realized this was a good compromise measure, as neither my bill, nor Tack's original amendment, were going to pass
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 06:06:19 PM »

Aye
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 03:36:50 PM »

Parts of this are friendly, parts are unfriendly

Hostile, let's put the amendment up for a vote
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 12:58:36 PM »

Following the objections over the age of 21, there is no draft, to draft people into, in Atlasia, so 18 does not need to be the required age, I support the proposal of 21
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 11:24:15 AM »

Abstain
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 06:27:17 AM »

Does this have the votes to pass, now

Also it's not unconstitutional, it's just a strict gun control bill
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 11:22:25 AM »

Friendly
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 07:07:17 AM »

Unfriendly, this creates a potential loophole, violent crimes might include those, not already written
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 06:19:50 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2019, 12:40:10 AM by Councilor Suburban New Jersey Conservative »

Changing my vote to aye, as I can't really think of anything considered a violent crime, that is not listed here
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 12:03:32 AM »

I agree that we should go for a final vote
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 10:55:15 PM »

Aye,

I've been a proponent of gun control for a long time. This bill should held to reduce gun violence and prevent school shootings.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 12:19:03 PM »

Well, the Philly Plan again has demonstrated that it resulted in a Chamber that cannot write bills.

You guys swore an oath to uphold the constitution. Yet you pass a bill with a strict licensing system as well as "proof of a reasonable cause for having a Class C license", both of which are constitutionally suspect provisions. You should be ashamed of yourselves. You also have ignored a typo that changes the meaning of part of this bill.

Beyond constitutional and grammatical concerns, Section 4 of Division B is an undue infringement on the Liberty of our citizens.

I look forward to this bill being struck down in court.

Not only that, but they also just signed off on completely destroying their region's budget with this bill. Lincoln can't afford it, they passed it anyway.

Uh, no we did not.

I designed the few modifications precisely to make the licensing system free or as close to free as possible.

Testing materials will be available for free over the internet (so everyone can get a license for free, there is no barrier of access).

Tests are performed at any facility that performs driver's license tests. There are also no "practical" sections. Just memorize what the governemnt posts and write it down when the exam comes.

It might strain the system a bit, but this will barely require any funding. What would we need to pay for? The actual license cards? Papers for the tests?

Staff time. Although what are the licenses for? I thought this bill banned concealed carry and the millions of existing concealed carry permits.

Edit: wait, did the final bill actually claim you have to have a government licenses just to OWN a gun? And that your "permission" expires every 5 years? Jesus christ that is definitely unconstitutional. There would definitely be a ton of costs just for staff to rubber stamp the millions upon millions of applications every year. Especially since this includes Ohio, Pennsylvania,  New York, Michigan... bye bye hunting.

Im tempted to use the "R" word to describe this dog vomit of a bill.

Gun licensing isn't exactly a new idea, and was seriously entertained in the 60's and 70's. Also five years is a long time. Also, a reminder that, that portion of the bill was taken from a past bill. Also this bill is a lot better than some legislation that I have seen proposed from various lawmakers. Yet, that legislation never seems to get criticized. This bill is certainly not dog vomit, it passed with support from both parties as a compromise measure. However, there have been bills comparable to dog vomit, proposed in just the last two weeks. Also I hope the R-word is you are planning to use is "repulsive" or "repugnant," and not the one that can be insulting to people, especially when used in the context, that you plan to use it in
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 06:06:53 PM »

I motion for an override
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 07:05:21 PM »

I hear the Speaker's concerns, but we are 80% there, why start all over, so I vote in favor of this motion. We can amend the bill later.

AYE!!!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies