Best and worst TV show finales? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:23:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Best and worst TV show finales? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best and worst TV show finales?  (Read 1466 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 19, 2019, 09:54:27 AM »

Top 3:

The Office (USA): I stopped watching the show seriously after Michael Scott left, and I stopped altogether after James Spader's character was written out...so when I got sucked in by accident to this finale, I was skeptical. But they literally tied up everything so nicely and the jokes were some of the best in years.

Gravity Falls: Everything wrapped up perfectly again, but also with a nice promise that things will go on.

Leverage: Pretty much everything was wrapped up perfectly, though not much beyond that. Nonetheless most shows can't even do that. So kudos.

Bottom 3:

How I Met Your Mother: Everyone knows about this one

Digimon Adventure 02: You're really telling me after all the build-up that the Big Bad can just be defeated by hopes and dreams? 

Malcolm in the Middle: So basically, Malcolm's whole life has been a devious mastermind scheme by two opportunistic sociopaths, and he just rolls with it? Seriously?

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 11:19:58 AM »

I think I'm gonna have to add Star vs The Forces of Evil to the list.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 12:24:09 PM »

Digimon Adventure 02: You're really telling me after all the build-up that the Big Bad can just be defeated by hopes and dreams?

I never got the hate for that one, tbh (Adventure 02 has a lot of problems of course, but I actually like the final arc a lot). Digimon has always been unapologetically cheesy and putting a big premium on the Power of Love/Hope/Friendship/whatever. The whole evolution mechanic is based on it! And did you forget about the Adventure ending where the kids regenerate themselves from raw data out of sheer willpower? The 02 ending is totally consistent with the general tone and themes of the Adventure canon.

They also had to lose their partners as a consequence of everything, and none of those things directly fed into the defeat of the Big Bad, also the Big Bad wasn't built up very much either. Also, most of the "hopes and dreams" were thrown in.

I didn't even touch the Epilogue.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 04:02:27 PM »

Avatar: The Last Airbender is also a pretty good one, the only thing stopping it from greatness is one glaring plot thread never resolved, just to be pushed into a comic with a..er...mediocre story.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »

Updating now that a few more shows I've followed casually have reached the end.

Top 5:

OK KO: Let's Be Heroes: The little semblance of myth arc was finished before, that's true, and it was clearly rushed...however, instead of some kind of half-a^&d plot, the writers rolled with rushed nature and turned the story into a nice moral about the costs of not enjoying the present time with friends, which actually turned out perfect with the shows theme. There are finales that are planned for eons and eons and don't have the same kind of payoff.

Gravity Falls: Everything wrapped up perfectly again, but also with a nice promise that things will go on.

Leverage: Pretty much everything was wrapped up perfectly, though not much beyond that. Nonetheless most shows can't even do that. So kudos.

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Perfect wrap-up of the myth arc with pretty much everything come full circle, breathtaking action, crisp dialogue...but Zuko's Mom should've shown up.

The Office (USA): Already explained this one, but I'll reiterate that the send-off for pretty much everyone was amazing, it was truly the best thing since Michael Scott left in Season 7.

Bottom 5:

Star vs The Forces of Evil: Basically, after three seasons of world building and character arcs, suddenly none of it matters...it all just gets Thanos'd away at just "some threat"...no build up at all, just poof...Thanos'd. And this is considered a good thing!  The one problem addressed (which is romantic of course) is resolved by reality merge. Never been more betrayed by finale before or since.

Voltron: Legendary Defender: The main antagonist wrecks reality and her only comeuppance is death, and she drags the most interesting character with her to it. After a stiff good-bye...cut to Digimon Adventure 02  sorta nonsense...well except for Lance, he's just the love interest sux to be him amirite?

How I Met Your Mother: Everyone knows about this one

Malcolm in the Middle: So basically, Malcolm's whole life has been a devious mastermind scheme by two opportunistic sociopaths, and he just rolls with it? Seriously?

[/quote]
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies