Documenting the FL Democratic Party's 20+ year dry spell on a national map (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:32:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Documenting the FL Democratic Party's 20+ year dry spell on a national map (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Documenting the FL Democratic Party's 20+ year dry spell on a national map  (Read 5199 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 23, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »
« edited: June 23, 2019, 05:36:19 PM by Edgar Suit Larry »

Something I’ve always wondered is: why do the FL Dems in particular suck so bad? FL Dems constantly choke in elections and I always hear how much they suck, but is there a particular reason why they do so much worse than other swing state Democratic parties. Anyone care to inform me?
I imagine it just has to do with the Democratic base in Florida being predominantly young voters and Hispanics, obviously this could describe other states too but the fact that Cubans in Florida are considerably more Republican-leaning than Hispanic voters in other states and the fact that youth turnout can be cancelled out by the growing retiree population, means that Florida Democrats are able to keep it close but can't quite seem to win.
So two things, right? The demographics just aren’t as good as they look on paper. The state is aging faster than many other states. This used to not be a problem but now many pensioners think they’re competing with younger people for federal and state benefits. The other thing being that a lot of people who are “Hispanics” aren’t really Hispanics. A lot of Cubans have blonde hair and blue eyes and they generally look Italian. I was talking with an old coworker on Facebook about this the other day.

My guess is that if the issues in Venezuela become a problem for the GOP, or that God forbid, there are fewer people retiring or even reaching old age, that probably  Florida will start voting somewhere between Colorado or New Jersey.

Or it could start voting like Ohio or Missouri if everyone just starts living forever and/or there is this shift in the Mestizo community that it’s their personal responsibility to “marry up” or whatever and maybe their Grandchildren will pass as “white”. Those kids can pretend to be like Elizabeth Warren and just say they are 1/8 or 1/16 American Indian or something.

Maybe this sounds like I don’t like old people or that I’m racist or whatever but Florida just sucks. I love the climate and there’s a lot to do but the average IQ down there is in the low 90s. But yeah.

I guess saying that most old people, especially boomers, are selfish and that some people don’t care that they are discriminated against or claim that they are and they like it when they are not is wrong.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »

The GOP margins have shrunk in every GOV Election since 2002 in FL. The urban areas have turned much bluer while rural and Retirement communites have turned strongly Republican.

The GOP's margins will asymptotically decrease, approaching but never reaching zero.

2022: DeSantis +0.2%

2026: Ashley Moody +0.05%

2030: Ashley Moody +0.01%

2034: Matt Gaetz by a single vote

Bahahahaha... kill me now

Why don't we just have the governor serve one eight year term and then appoint his successor?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies