Family Guy, Simpsons or South Park?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:56:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Family Guy, Simpsons or South Park?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Huh
Family Guy

Simpsons

South Park

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Family Guy, Simpsons or South Park?  (Read 1036 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2019, 01:48:33 PM »

My personal favorite is The Simpsons, but if we're going based off their current quality South Park is undeniably the best of the three. I like all three of the shows, but in terms of intelligence/satirical value The Simpsons and South Park are above Family Guy. I'd like for The Simpsons to end with the second movie and Family Guy should end soon (maybe with its movie), whereas South Park seems to have some mileage left since its quick production time allows for timely satire of current events while they're still relevant (which is even more of a plus in our ever faster-moving world).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »

This is by far the worst showing for Family Guy ever here...I suspect a little of that is BRTD trolling.  Really though, FG should just be thankful to be in such company when there are other adult cartoons that are better.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2019, 02:37:32 PM »

tbh you could make a decent case that South Park is the only one of the three that has bothered to try in recent years (or even improved?). It goes without saying that the modern Simpsons is downright embarrassing to watch, like watching a close friend bomb at stand-up before soiling themselves; modern Family Guy is much better, but still unfathomably lazy. the trouble is both these shows have kind of dated premises: the old sentimental and ultra-sanitized family shows of yesteryear have long been buried in a sea of irony and postmodernism. Heck, the most iconic image of The Simpsons - the family all rushing in to watch TV at the same time - is alien to people less than a decade younger than me.

By contrast South Park - although I'm not a regular watcher by any means - does seem to be adapting with the times? It's introduced seasonal arcs, shed some of the mindless contrarianism that defined it in earlier seasons and been intriguingly self-critical.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2019, 02:47:48 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2019, 03:07:27 PM by Tetro Kornbluth »

tbh you could make a decent case that South Park is the only one of the three that has bothered to try in recent years (or even improved?). It goes without saying that the modern Simpsons is downright embarrassing to watch, like watching a close friend bomb at stand-up before soiling themselves; modern Family Guy is much better, but still unfathomably lazy. the trouble is both these shows have kind of dated premises: the old sentimental and ultra-sanitized family shows of yesteryear have long been buried in a sea of irony and postmodernism. Heck, the most iconic image of The Simpsons - the family all rushing in to watch TV at the same time - is alien to people less than a decade younger than me.

By contrast South Park - although I'm not a regular watcher by any means - does seem to be adapting with the times? It's introduced seasonal arcs, shed some of the mindless contrarianism that defined it in earlier seasons and been intriguingly self-critical.

One thing I've been thinking about recently is how culturally strange if not incomprehensible many early episodes of The Simpsons must now seem to those who are young now. Especially just how many of the narratives are driven around TV and its culture in a way that now strikes me at least as extremely 90s (as do the Gender stereotypes attached to it).

But then again The Simpsons is now an old show, the oldest full length (never mind the shorts) episode came out in 1989, so we are as close to it now as the audience in 1989 was to 1959 and, quite frankly, the pop culture of 1989 feels a lot closer to now than the pop culture of 1959 did to that of 1989.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »

None are as good as The Gilmore Girls.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2019, 03:57:10 PM »

South Park is a really disgusting mean spirited show that has had a negative impact on American culture. They say they go after everyone, but their misanthropy is inherently right-wing. It would say it is more like the Fox News of TV cartoons. They both started at around the same time. Fox News (October 1996), South Park (March 1997).

They've backed off on the right-wing stuff since 2016 for obvious reasons. They even had an "apology" episode to Al Gore last year where they admitted global warming is real.

I don't know, people have been defending that show for the last 22+ years and here I am just waiting for it to end.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 04:21:27 AM »

The Simpsons first, Family Guy a strong second, and all South Park up through and including the movie serve. 99% of Southpark post 2002 movie doesn't even deserve to rank fourth out of four. I'm not sure what happened the creators after such a good movie.

On a side note, the biggest surprise in this thread is who is author was not. Wink
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 01:34:14 AM »

NOTA
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 11:42:07 AM »

Of these South Park, but King of the Hill exceeds them all.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 12:41:29 PM »

I'll be watching Seasons 1-8 of the Simpsons when I'm 85.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 03:59:52 PM »

The Simpsons first, Family Guy a strong second, and all South Park up through and including the movie serve. 99% of Southpark post 2002 movie doesn't even deserve to rank fourth out of four. I'm not sure what happened the creators after such a good movie.

On a side note, the biggest surprise in this thread is who is author was not. Wink

Its because Pam Brady played just as much of a role in writing the movie, but left the show altogether after 1999. Anything that was ever good about South Park was clearly due to her input.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 04:10:43 PM »

The South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut movie was in 1999. The 2002 season was the Kenny-free season of South Park, in which it contained the episodes "Jared Has Aides" and "Freak Strike".

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 08:17:27 PM »

None of them are very good anymore, but South Park The Simpsons was the best in its heyday and had the greatest number of good seasons.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 08:24:37 PM »

Simpsons.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 06:18:54 PM »

When I was a kid, I was banned from watching South Park. I used to lie and say I was going downstairs to watch Johnny Bravo and then I would watch South Park on the downstairs TV.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 08:04:37 PM »

I like all of them, but all have also been on a steady decline since for a decade or so. I think I'll write-in 'American Dad,' though that has also been on the decline since it moved to TBS.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies