SENATE BILL: DUMB REGULATIONS REPEAL ACT 18 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:49:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: DUMB REGULATIONS REPEAL ACT 18 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: DUMB REGULATIONS REPEAL ACT 18 (Passed)  (Read 2033 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: May 21, 2019, 04:21:01 PM »

8. The regulation criminalizing the recording of movies at a movie theater on a camera or digital device is hereby eliminated. 17 USC 110 shall be amended accordingly.
I can't imagine the film industry would be happy with this, what is the justification for repealing this?

9. The regulation criminalizing the calling of certain phone numbers to solicit or advertise is hereby eliminated. 15 USC 6151 - 6155 is hereby repealed.
Can't see The People getting on board with this, so now it is open season for telemarketers and robocalls?

22. The regulation prohibiting federal student aid to persons convicted of a drug-related offense is hereby eliminated. 28 USC 1091(r) shall be amended accordingly.
Neutral on this, but this is a pretty significant change so wanted to make sure it is highlighted.

Like the other bill, I'll say that I'm supportive of the rest of this, but reminding Senators to read through each clause carefully before voting.

My goal is to do a breakdown of each reg when I have the time. Until then though:

#8. So this was made a federal crime during the Dubya-DeLay period, so its not exactly the oldest federal crime. I frown upon attempts by the federal government to shoehorn its criminal enforcement power into local matters. Im not saying Copyright issues are just a local matter ... but the idea that the FBI can prosecute someone for going into a movie theater and passively filming something on the screen seems like federal overreach. I don't think federal movie theater police are needed. As written the reg does NOT affect the ability of the FBI to prosecute persons for actually SELLING illegally reproduced copies or mass distributing illegally reproduced copies on the internet (subject to the protections of the Decriminalization of Online Content Act).

TL;DR: The FBI should not police persons using cellphone inside a movie theaters.

#9. I know this one may be unpopular but sometimes I wonder (along with many prominent legal scholars) whether or not this law is actually unconstitutional on free speech grounds. This is a bit of a dense read from my alma mater but is on point: https://jolt.richmond.edu/jolt-archive/v10i4/article27.pdf
I am a bill of rights maximalist so I usually prefer to opt for precaution when a law could potentially violate the bill of rights.

#22. By Atlasian standards I dont think this is a big change. What I will voluntarily draw attention to now before I do the whole markup, is point our left-leaning comrades to #30 which would be a much bigger change, and is probably something yall would be willing to kill this entire bill over and might need to be discussed and maybe amended to keep this bill alive. As the bulk of the regulatory language in the parts of the Clean Air Act Obama started regulating CO2 under were not written with CO2 in mind and dont make a whole lot of sense. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_Air_Regulatory_Group_v._Environmental_Protection_Agency

But yeah, something tells me that's probably the big thing Atlasians will care about on this list.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:31:51 AM »

8. The regulation criminalizing the recording of movies at a movie theater on a camera or digital device is hereby eliminated. 17 USC 110 shall be amended accordingly.
I can't imagine the film industry would be happy with this, what is the justification for repealing this?

9. The regulation criminalizing the calling of certain phone numbers to solicit or advertise is hereby eliminated. 15 USC 6151 - 6155 is hereby repealed.
Can't see The People getting on board with this, so now it is open season for telemarketers and robocalls?

22. The regulation prohibiting federal student aid to persons convicted of a drug-related offense is hereby eliminated. 28 USC 1091(r) shall be amended accordingly.
Neutral on this, but this is a pretty significant change so wanted to make sure it is highlighted.

Like the other bill, I'll say that I'm supportive of the rest of this, but reminding Senators to read through each clause carefully before voting.

My goal is to do a breakdown of each reg when I have the time. Until then though:

#8. So this was made a federal crime during the Dubya-DeLay period, so its not exactly the oldest federal crime. I frown upon attempts by the federal government to shoehorn its criminal enforcement power into local matters. Im not saying Copyright issues are just a local matter ... but the idea that the FBI can prosecute someone for going into a movie theater and passively filming something on the screen seems like federal overreach. I don't think federal movie theater police are needed. As written the reg does NOT affect the ability of the FBI to prosecute persons for actually SELLING illegally reproduced copies or mass distributing illegally reproduced copies on the internet (subject to the protections of the Decriminalization of Online Content Act).

TL;DR: The FBI should not police persons using cellphone inside a movie theaters.

#9. I know this one may be unpopular but sometimes I wonder (along with many prominent legal scholars) whether or not this law is actually unconstitutional on free speech grounds. This is a bit of a dense read from my alma mater but is on point: https://jolt.richmond.edu/jolt-archive/v10i4/article27.pdf
I am a bill of rights maximalist so I usually prefer to opt for precaution when a law could potentially violate the bill of rights.

#22. By Atlasian standards I dont think this is a big change. What I will voluntarily draw attention to now before I do the whole markup, is point our left-leaning comrades to #30 which would be a much bigger change, and is probably something yall would be willing to kill this entire bill over and might need to be discussed and maybe amended to keep this bill alive. As the bulk of the regulatory language in the parts of the Clean Air Act Obama started regulating CO2 under were not written with CO2 in mind and dont make a whole lot of sense. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_Air_Regulatory_Group_v._Environmental_Protection_Agency

But yeah, something tells me that's probably the big thing Atlasians will care about on this list.

Would you consider 21 to be likewise a matter of free speech, or is there another element I am missing here?

Speech. Museum display. Private collection. If a vet chooses to sell their medals i don't have a problem. John kerry threw his on the ground and he had that choice.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 06:48:36 AM »

Would you consider 21 to be likewise a matter of free speech, or is there another element I am missing here?

Speech. Museum display. Private collection. If a vet chooses to sell their medals i don't have a problem. John kerry threw his on the ground and he had that choice.

I was concerned about how it would impact the issue of stolen valor as it is has been termed.

So the original stolen valor act was struck down by the courts. The new stolen valor act requires not just a lie about having won a medal but also that the lie be for the purpose of making money. The supreme court said a better way to screen out stolen valor cases is an online database of medal winners.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 05:47:37 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2019, 08:17:53 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

Sorry for the delay.

1 - Things can be park rules without being crimes. Using the wrong sink should not carry criminal penalties.

2 - I think compelled speech should be minimized whenever possible. This is an unnecessary forced statement and the government should avoid that when it can especially when criminal penalties are involved.

3 - So Im weird and sometimes read through public comments filed for proposed federal rules. This dumb reg came up because certain gaming websites set up safeguards to comply with federal law on websites in which children known to be under 14 played and those safeguards included permanently disabling chat functions with adult accounts. When kids with junior accounts grow up there is no mechanism to certify that they arent babies anymore so certain account features are denied them unless they create a new account and forfeit their data. This is to let websites know that they are permitted to unlock the features on junior accounts upon reaching 14.

4 - restores the legally correct definition of joint employer that some dumb bureaucrats got mixed up

5 - I really find the whole corpse desecration thing that some people get into disturbing. Its basically just spite, so this change will remove a disturbing, spiteful law that demands we dig up corpses out of the cemetery and chuck them off our land when we find out way after they've been buried that they did something bad.

6 - This does what is says. It makes it a crime if your hybrid isn't loud enough.

7 - This is not about health and safety.

8 - Discussed above

9 - Discussed above

10 - Was not discussed above but the argument for 9 is identical for fax machine messages

11 - It should not be a federal crime for teachers to leave graded student work in convenient unattended pickup locations.

12 - Any risk of hearing loss is due to the volume of the TV/Speakers playing the video, not the volume at which the video is recorded. This is a dumb thing to police and touches again on free speech.

13 and 14 - So Im not saying we should get rid of the Lacey act or anything, its important to protect animals. 10 years ago, citing the Lacey Act  armed federal law enforcement shut down work at a Gibson guitar factor over the lumber. The Lacey Act just requires that a foreign law not have been fully complied with. It is not limited to conservation laws. If your wood export from India is supposed to have had a red tag but instead had a yellow tag, some federal bureaucrats have interpreted that as requiring the Atlasian government to enforce minor Indian (and every other country) paperwork and export regulations that have nothing to do with conservation against Atlasians on Atlasian soil. These changes will prevent future excesses.

15 - arcane and unnecessary

16 - The federal government shouldnt care what horses do in their downtime

17 - Im cheating a little with this one. This bans gag clauses in pharmacy contracts that prevent dispensers from mentioning when paying cash would be cheaper than insurance.

18 - Im fine with firing a chronically late employee but criminal penalties is absurd for someone whose job is selling water

19 - Some people may want specific spice distributions in their cheese. The federal government should be regulating our taste buds.

20 - This eliminates the dumb cell tower siting preemption rule passed under the Ajit Pai FCC recently that totally cut localities out of discussions on where cell towers can be built.

21 - Discussed Above.

22 - Discussed Above.

23 - These are legacy regs from like 100 years ago and they unfairly freeze some workers out of federal contracts.

24 - Devolves control over security of private non-federal property to localities.

25 - Lifts a rule to help the Post Office operate in the black.

26 - Eliminates a stupid federally imposed dress code on actors, cosplay, and sexplay in private settings.

27 - This would be more convenient for the passenger and give advanced notice to AMTRAK workers

28 - As unpopular as it sounds, free speech protects anonymous speech and I would argue recorded speech. The proposed change protects free speech.

29 - Ditch the Jones Act once and for all. Its just corporate welfare.

30 - Discussed Above. This is the one everyone will probably want to remove.

31 - Fixes the allowable ozone NAAQS at a single level to allow for easier planning for attainment.

32 - Basically to restore this ruling https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_v._United_States

33 - Not a health or safety regulation. It's not the federal governments place to ban blackface makeup.

34 - Lets lawyers make an additional argument to the jury.

35 - Basically clarifies that vitamins and the like can talk about the product on the label.

36 - Hilarious often forgotten law. Look at the back of an old Franklin half dollar.

37 - Its part of a treaty.

38 - Nutritionists agree, its added sugars that matter on labels.

39 - Its a common practice and resolves the issue of demonstrating ability to pay as the money is still tendered at the time of sale.

40 - Basically a safe harbor during actual emergency evacuations to ensure that the government is encouraging people to leave NFA firearms unattended for looters.

41 - Allows carry in public areas of the Post Office which is perfectly reasonable.

42 - Continues the criminal reform aims we have all been working towards.

43 - Relaxes the most expensive and ineffective part of Sarbanes Oxley for smaller firms

44 - Total exclusion from civil court isnt necessary.

45 - A very specific request, it was passed into law irl last year. Its for safety. Because it crosses federal land Congress needs to approve. Environmental protections are included.

46 - Designed to encourage persons to seek counseling without fear

47 - Reduces a burdensome paperwork requirement that doesnt affect safety

48 - Clarifies that sharing information is ok.

49 - This eliminates the arguably illegal regs targeted and military funeral protesters that the Supreme Court has found infringes free speech.

50 - Makes sure Fhtagn doesnt have to kill her pet tarantulas when she moves from Region to Region.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 06:10:28 AM »

I was concerned about how it would impact the issue of stolen valor as it is has been termed.

So the original stolen valor act was struck down by the courts. The new stolen valor act requires not just a lie about having won a medal but also that the lie be for the purpose of making money. The supreme court said a better way to screen out stolen valor cases is an online database of medal winners.

Such a database could be dangerous though.

A database containing the name, date, and justification for military medal winners is dangerous?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 05:38:40 AM »

You should remove # 30 then Hopefully vote
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 05:56:04 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2019, 06:05:09 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

You should indicated as amended over the House vote, because from the text itself it would be difficult to discern whether or not changes were made.

Plus Im pretty sure the no call list stuff was struck at the request of TMTH so it doesnt even appear like the Senators are voting on the right bill.

Edit: yeah the above is definitely not the right version of the bill. # 10 was struck the first time this was in the Senate. Guess its not really surprising given the rush by the mimes to shoot the rest of the hostages.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies