LC 2.20 Lincoln Carbon Taxation Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:17:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.20 Lincoln Carbon Taxation Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LC 2.20 Lincoln Carbon Taxation Act (Statute)  (Read 1775 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »
« edited: June 12, 2019, 07:33:22 AM by tack50 »

A Bill to Institute Cap-and-Trade Across Lincoln

1. The government of Lincoln shall set a cap on greenhouse emissions, this cap shall decrease annually by 15%
2. The initial cap shall be set by the incumbent Governor of Lincoln, when this bill is passed
3. Companies shall buy and sell permits to emit greenhouse gases, a company cannot emit greenhouse gases, if it does not have a permit. Initially, permits must be purchased from the government of Lincoln, for the price of $150 per permit, businesses may not sell permits to other companies for less than $70
4. The top 15% of businesses that emit the most greenhouse gases, shall be required to pay a penalty tax of 15% of their total value as a business to the government of Lincoln, for contributing to uncontrollable climate change
5. Electricity distributors must produce 45% of their energy from renewable sources by 2030
6. The government of Lincoln shall grant a subsidy of $75 billion to the wind energy industry and $85 billion to the solar energy industry, these subsidies shall be paid for by Lincoln reducing its AtlasCare benefits by $90 billion, the other $70 billion shall be raised from a hike of 120% on all existing Lincoln toll roads.
7. 42% of all vehicles produced in the region of Lincoln must be electricity powered, by the year 2025

Sponsor: S019

Debate time for this bill has started and shall last for no less than 72h
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 10:59:19 AM »

Section 4 can use an amendment, as can 6, should I just scrap 6 entirely

If someone works on this, I would appreciate it
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 01:45:54 PM »

I'll propose an amendment

1. The government of Lincoln shall set a cap on greenhouse emissions, this cap shall decrease annually by 15%
2. The initial cap shall be set by the incumbent Governor of Lincoln, when this bill is passed
3. Companies shall buy and sell permits to emit greenhouse gases, a company cannot emit greenhouse gases, if it does not have a permit. Initially, permits must be purchased from the government of Lincoln, for the price of $150 per permit, businesses may not sell permits to other companies for less than $70
4. The top 15% of businesses that emit the most greenhouse gases, shall be required to pay a penalty tax of 15% 10% of their total value as a business to the government of Lincoln, for contributing to uncontrollable climate change
5. Electricity distributors must produce 45% of their energy from renewable sources by 2030
6. The government of Lincoln shall grant a subsidy of $75 $60 billion to the wind energy industry and $85 $70 billion to the solar energy industry, these subsidies shall be paid for by Lincoln reducing its AtlasCare benefits by $90 billion, the other $70 billion shall be raised from a hike of 120% on all existing Lincoln toll roads the method for funding these subsidies shall be determined in Lincoln's annual budget.
7. 42% of all vehicles produced in the region of Lincoln must be electricity powered, by the year 2025

8. This bill takes effect, six months after being signed by the governor

Sponsor: S019

Debate time for this bill has started and shall last for no less than 72h

This is my take on how to fix this. Feel free to propose amendments!!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 01:53:37 PM »

Amendment L 2:32 by S019 to LC 2.20 A Bill to Institute Cap-and-Trade Across Lincoln

4. The top 15% of businesses that emit the most greenhouse gases, shall be required to pay a penalty tax of 15% 10% of their total value as a business to the government of Lincoln, for contributing to uncontrollable climate change
6. The government of Lincoln shall grant a subsidy of $75 $60 billion to the wind energy industry and $85 $70 billion to the solar energy industry, these subsidies shall be paid for by Lincoln reducing its AtlasCare benefits by $90 billion, the other $70 billion shall be raised from a hike of 120% on all existing Lincoln toll roads the method for funding these subsidies shall be determined in Lincoln's annual budget.

8. This bill takes effect, six months after being signed by the governor

Sponsor feedback: Origination
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »

I have to say that regional cap and trade is an excellent idea, though this bill certainly needs a larger rework.

I also wonder how it would interact with the current federal carbon taxes. However, given the dire situation regarding climate change, cap and trade is a good idea.

It is also an expensive bill as well regarding point 6; especially as I believe we will have problems doing the budget (though I am afraid not much has been done on that front)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 04:13:27 PM »

Was there a model bill that the 42% figure came from?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 04:17:28 PM »

Don't remember, I took Senate Dems Cap and Trade bill and made it simpler and less extreme
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »

Don't remember, I took Senate Dems Cap and Trade bill and made it simpler and less extreme

Ok. Ill see if I can find stats on this to check how feasible this may or may not be. It could be that this is obtainable ... I'm not sure though because Lincoln includes Detroit.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 03:39:55 PM »

I oppose this legislation for the same reasons I opposed the Lincoln Carbon Act.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 03:42:01 PM »

I oppose this legislation for the same reasons I opposed the Lincoln Carbon Act.

What were those reasons
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 03:50:11 PM »

What were those reasons

Although this bill is hardly as egregious as LC 1.10, I cannot support legislation that allows for corporations to purchase exemptions to pollute.

My comment from the March By-Election:

The "Lincoln Carbon Act" is in essence is a skewed solution that unfairly shifts the burden for healing our atmosphere onto the working class when the greatest share of energy usage is consumed by corporate enterprise. This act would needlessly commodify carbon, thus granting a blank check to high-profit corporations to purchase carbon credits in a manufactured marketplace to the detriment of smaller businesses and lower income families. If a corporate entity stands to profit ten dollars for every five dollars taxed through a carbon initiative, what do they stand to lose in continuing business as usual?

I support a fair means to regulate carbon emissions as part of a greater array of climate legislation: one that ensures that the concerns of market capitalism are treated as a symptom of the climate crisis, not a solution. If elected to the fifth seat on the council, should the bill once more come to a vote in its current state, I shall oppose it.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 05:57:44 PM »

Yeah, this bill looks fine and cap and trade is a good policy, but a carbon tax is better. And we already have a federal carbon tax. A regional carbon tax on top of the federal one might be a good idea to raise some revenue (and cut Lincoln's likely deficit, though I've been unable to make any progress in the bugdet reciently) though the exact level needs to be discussed obviously.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 01:39:25 PM »

Ok, so what should we do with this? Should we try to pass it? Table it? Amend it somehow?

I will say this certainly needs some analysis.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »

I'm open to amendments

This is a good idea, so, let's not rush it to a final vote
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2019, 08:34:41 PM by tack50 »

Ok, if we are going to want to move forward with this we are going to have to debate it more.

[Old amendment]

Actually you know what? I'm retiring the amendment. We should probably turn this into a proper carbon tax that will allow the region to bring in a lot of revenue to save our deficit.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 08:35:49 PM »

Fremont already has a regional carbon tax on top of the federal carbon tax.
You're in a giant budget deficit. If you want to do something don't use the stupid bastardised system that is cap and trade, just do it properly and pass a regional carbon tax. Far more effective at reducing emissions and more importantly it will do far more to help get you out of your deficit.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 11:39:15 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2019, 12:12:57 PM by tack50 »

I present the following amendment, which pretty much rips off Fremont's regional Carbon Tax.

This amendment shall replace the bill in its entirety

Amendment L 2:49 to LC 2.20 A Bill to Institute Cap-and-Trade Across Lincoln

Lincoln Carbon taxation act
AN ACT to combat climate change through the taxation of carbon

Title I (Title of the Act)
i. The full name of this act is the "Lincoln Carbon Taxation Act of 2019"

Title II (Taxation Procedure)
i. This act shall place a tax of $20 on fossil fuel companies for every ton of carbon they extract from the ground, with the tax rising 2% each year. This means that in 2020 the tax would be $20.40, in 2021 it would be $20.81, etc.

Title III (Revenue Collection)
i. The tax will raise 35.03 billion dollars in revenue in its first year, and the amount of revenue raised will continue to go up each year as the tax increases.

Title IV (CO2 Emissisons)
i. The tax will reduce CO2 emissions by 77 million metric tons in its first year of implementation, and the amount of CO2 emissions reduced will continue to go up each year as the tax increases.

Title V (Implementation)
i. All titles of this act will be immediately implemented after the passage of this act into law.

Sponsor feedback: 24h hours to specify, otherwise assumed unfriendly
Status: Waiting for sponsor. Other councillors can also object.

Here's Fremont's law for reference
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Fremont_Carbon_Taxation_Act_of_2017

Also, we will need input from the GM department to fill in the gaps. Title IV is optional, but getting Title III right is important since we need to pass a budget
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 12:07:48 PM »

Since I already did the cost analysis for the Fremont bill, this one is a simple matter of using the regional multiplier.

First-year revenues are 35.0325 billion.

Reductions should be 77 million metric tons.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »

I support the proposed amendment wholeheartedly.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 12:12:04 PM »

Well, that was quick.

Anyways, I've included the numbers in the amendment.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 01:32:42 PM »

Friendly

We are fighting climate change and rasing revenue

And I'd rather have this type of tax, then a property or income tax

Also I'd recommend using the customary system, not the metric one
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 06:16:05 PM »

With no objections, Amendment L 2:49 is adopted.

Regarding metric vs imperial; I just copied and pasted from Fremont. I personally prefer metric for obvious reasons Tongue But even then metric is generally better for scientific usages.

Also, I wonder, why is the number for Lincoln so low compared to Fremont?

According to the wiki, FT raises 112 billion dollars and expects to reduce CO2 by 250 million metric tons.

Meanwhile we only get 35 billion and reduce CO2 by 77 million metric tons?

I don't think Lincoln is that small compared to Fremont. Is this because of Fremont having more polluting industries or something RL?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 06:25:34 PM »

The old Fremont Carbon Tax was scored incorrectly the first time.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 07:58:51 PM »

The old Fremont Carbon Tax was scored incorrectly the first time.

Yes, this is correct. To clarify further, a few people made the age-old mistake of taking a federal policy and forgetting to scale down their numbers to fit the region. This error was fixed in the Regional Correction Act and in the FY2019 budget.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 07:47:28 PM »

I motion for a final vote, 24 hours to object
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length