LC 2.21 Electric Car Chargers & General Encouragement Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:37:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.21 Electric Car Chargers & General Encouragement Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: LC 2.21 Electric Car Chargers & General Encouragement Act (Statute)  (Read 2312 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2019, 02:30:27 PM »
« edited: June 07, 2019, 06:12:29 AM by tack50 »

Electric Car Chargers & General Encouragement Act
A bill to encourage the usage of electic cars by encouraging the construction of electric car chargers and giving them other advantages

SECTION I: Name
1. This law shall be known as the "Electric Car Chargers & General Encouragement Act."

SECTION II: Definitions
1. For the purposes of this act a DC fast charger shall be understood as an electric car charger capable of delivering at least 45 kW of power and being able to give a standard electric car at least 96 km (60 miles) of range in under 25 minutes.
2. A major reform shall be understood as a reform or expansion construction project to an existing parking lot with an estimated construction cost of at least 1 million dollars.

SECTION III: Regulations
1. All newly constructed parking lots with a planned capacity of over 100 cars, shall have at least 5 DC fast chargers for electric cars, for every 100 parking spots
2. All major reforms to existing parking lots shall include the installation of at least 5 electric car chargers for every 100 parking spots.
3. All parking lots in Lincoln must include at least 15 electric car chargers for every 100 parking spots by the end of the year 2033
4. All electric vehicles shall be exempt from paying any tolls in the region or Lincoln. All hybrid vehicles shall get a 50% discount on all tolls in the region.
5. All electric vehicles shall be allowed to drive in regulated bus lanes and other special designated fast lanes. Municipalities may limit this right to only electric vehicles that have at least a certain number of passengers on board.

SECTION IV: Timing
1. This act shall take effect 3 months after passage.
2. This act shall not affect currently ongoing construction projects or reforms.
[/quote]

Sponsor: tack50

Debate time for this bill has started and shall last for no less than 72 hours
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »

Ok, this is pretty much the same bill I introduced back on my first elected position in the Southern Chamber of Delegates. That bill passed the CoD, but was vetoed by then governor tmth, and I decided not to bother with a veto override as the numbers weren't there (I think it was one of extremely few party line votes in my term as delegate)

Let's just hope this bill sees more success with Peanut Tongue

For the record this is mostly the unammended bill as the amendment was an attempt at compromise for the most part (though it still includes the definition of "major reform"). Come to think about it, 1 million dollars is probably a bit too high for a threshold tbh. I also decided to add 2 extra points in III.4 and III.5; both encouraged to further extend the use of electric vehicles.

Here's the Southern Debate thread for reference: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=309569.0
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »

I like this, especially since one of my main oppositions to electric cars, is too fee charging stations.

It is very pricey, however, and we need a way to pay for it, WITHOUT RAISING TAXES!!!

Also iffy, on the toll discount, but it's not a deal breaker
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »

I like this, especially since one of my main oppositions to electric cars, is too fee charging stations.

It is very pricey, however, and we need a way to pay for it, WITHOUT RAISING TAXES!!!

Also iffy, on the toll discount, but it's not a deal breaker

Uh, no provisions of this act actually require any government spending to my knowledge. In fact the only one that could arguably affect government spending is the toll reduction/abolition act, depending on how much funding the government gets from tolls
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 06:39:04 AM »

Idk about the bus lanes thing, since those lanes were made with the intent of being for buses. This is especially bad in a city with a BRT system, such as Grand Rapids, which relies on buses having a dedicated lane in order for it to work.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:29:51 AM »

Idk about the bus lanes thing, since those lanes were made with the intent of being for buses. This is especially bad in a city with a BRT system, such as Grand Rapids, which relies on buses having a dedicated lane in order for it to work.

Yeah, come to think about it, that might be a bad idea depending on city. Not all bus lanes are created equal and BRT systems would be heavily affected. I did want to give them an advantage for rush hour, but I guess the toll reduction will have to do.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 12:24:56 PM »

Amendment L 2:34 by tack50 to LC 2.21 Electric Car Chargers & General Encouragement Act

A bill to encourage the usage of electic cars by encouraging the construction of electric car chargers and giving them other advantages

1. This law shall be known as the "Electric Car Chargers & General Encouragement Act."

1. For the purposes of this act a DC fast charger shall be understood as an electric car charger capable of delivering at least 45 kW of power and being able to give a standard electric car at least 96 km (60 miles) of range in under 25 minutes.
2. A major reform shall be understood as a reform or expansion construction project to an existing parking lot with an estimated construction cost of at least 1 million dollars.

1. All newly constructed parking lots with a planned capacity of over 100 cars, shall have at least 5 DC fast chargers for electric cars, for every 100 parking spots
2. All major reforms to existing parking lots shall include the installation of at least 5 electric car chargers for every 100 parking spots.
3. All parking lots in Lincoln must include at least 15 electric car chargers for every 100 parking spots by the end of the year 2033
4. All electric vehicles shall be exempt from paying any tolls in the region or Lincoln. All hybrid vehicles shall get a 50% discount on all tolls in the region.
5. All electric vehicles shall be allowed to drive in regulated bus lanes and other special designated fast lanes. Municipalities Local governments may limit this right to only electric vehicles that have at least a certain number of passengers on board, or forbid it entirely if needed for the proper functioning of their local public transportation networks.

2. This act shall not affect currently ongoing construction projects or reforms.

Sponsor feedback: Origination

Here is my attempt at trying to fix Ninja's concerns. I decided to still keep it, but give municipalities the right to restrict it if they need it for the proper functioning of their transit networks
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 01:39:37 PM »

Where will the $1 million come from
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 01:47:46 PM »

Uh, from nowhere. That only means that if you have a Parking Lot and are planning a reform with construction costs over 1 million $, you have to install electric chargers. Since it's a expensive reform or renovation already, the cost of installing electric chargers is negligible
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 02:02:13 PM »

This looks promising and provides smart fixes to assist in the growth of electric vehicles.

Mr. Speaker, would you be in favor of an amendment subsidizing (or rather, discounting) electric cars for individuals with a gross income under $100K? I feel as though if we are tackling the need to decrease Lincoln's dependency on gasoline-powered vehicles, it may be in our best interest to recognize and seek to address the high retail cost of these vehicles: a facet that I'd assume has deterred a great many from purchasing clean-air cars.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »

This looks promising and provides smart fixes to assist in the growth of electric vehicles.

Mr. Speaker, would you be in favor of an amendment subsidizing (or rather, discounting) electric cars for individuals with a gross income under $100K? I feel as though if we are tackling the need to decrease Lincoln's dependency on gasoline-powered vehicles, it may be in our best interest to recognize and seek to address the high retail cost of these vehicles: a facet that I'd assume has deterred a great many from purchasing clean-air cars.

Yes, that is an excellent ammendment! I have no problems with that.

Back when I originally wrote this, I had to make a more moderate bill and part of that included making it cost-free for the government. That amendment would mean actual government spending but it's for a good cause in my opinion.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »

I'll propose an amendment

4. All electric vehicles shall be exempt from paying any tolls in the region or Lincoln. All and hybrid vehicles shall get a 50% 43%discount on all tolls in the region.
5. All electric vehicles shall be allowed to drive in regulated bus lanes and other special designated fast lanes. Local government may limit this right to only electric vehicles that have at least a certain number of passengers on board, or forbid it entirely if needed for the proper functioning of their local public transportation networks.

Sponsor: tack50

Debate time for this bill has started and shall last for no less than 72 hours
[/quote]

If this amendment passes, I will back this bill
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 02:08:31 PM »

This amendment would lose my support
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 02:11:58 PM »

This amendment would lose my support

It would help lower income families and the environment - so, of course it would.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 03:25:19 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2019, 10:49:40 AM by Pyro »

Mr. Speaker, I propose the following amendment.

5. All electric vehicles shall be allowed to drive in regulated bus lanes and other special designated fast lanes. Local governments may limit this right to only electric vehicles that have at least a certain number of passengers on board, or forbid it entirely if needed for the proper functioning of their local public transportation networks.
6. All electric vehicles shall be eligible for a discounted vehicle registration fee. The discount shall be no less than 25% of the total cost of registration.
7. As of March 2020, owners of electric vehicles shall be eligible for the Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit. This regional tax credit shall be no less than $4,000 and no more than $10,000 per new electric vehicle, with variation dependent on the vehicle purchased. This credit shall not apply to any individual with a gross income above $100,000.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 03:34:23 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I propose the following amendment.

5. All electric vehicles shall be allowed to drive in regulated bus lanes and other special designated fast lanes. Local governments may limit this right to only electric vehicles that have at least a certain number of passengers on board, or forbid it entirely if needed for the proper functioning of their local public transportation networks.
6. All electric vehicles shall be eligible for a discounted vehicle registration fee. The discount shall be no less than 25% of the total cost of registration.
7. As of March 2020, all owners of electric vehicles shall be eligible for the Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit. This regional tax credit shall be no less than $4,000 and no more than $10,000 per new electric vehicle, with variation dependent on the vehicle purchased. This credit shall not apply to any individual with a gross income above $100,000.

Mr. Chancellor,

I fear that this bill will not earn my support, if this amendment is passed
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 05:27:39 PM »

As per usual, I'll start with the amendments in the order they were introduced. Which means SNJC's amendment will be the one introduced by SNJC.

And the amendment is unfriendly. While I do not agree with making most/all tolls free like others have proposed on other bills; I do think giving electric cars a free pass on tolls is a great idea. We should give electric cars advantages on driving to incentivice their usage, and free tolls is an excellent idea. Furthermore, I also don't like the idea of giving hybrids the same discount as electric cars.

Amendment L 2:35 by S019 to LC 2.21 Electric Car Chargers & General Encouragement Act

4. All electric vehicles shall be exempt from paying any tolls in the region or Lincoln. All and hybrid vehicles shall get a 50% 43%discount on all tolls in the region.
5. All electric vehicles shall be allowed to drive in regulated bus lanes and other special designated fast lanes. Local government may limit this right to only electric vehicles that have at least a certain number of passengers on board, or forbid it entirely if needed for the proper functioning of their local public transportation networks.

[/quote]

Sponsor feedback: Hostile
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 09:05:25 AM »

I concur with Speaker Tack with regards to the amendment on the floor and oppose it on similar grounds.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 10:38:10 AM »

I'll take my free golf cart. I love the fact that communists now are supporting the favorite pass time of the rich.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »

I'll take my free golf cart. I love the fact that communists now are supporting the favorite pass time of the rich.

Well, as long as you commute by golf cart to work/school I am fine with that Tongue

A nation of golf carts would certainly pollute less I guess.

Now seriously, Pyro's amendment does cap the tax credit to people under 100 000$ in income (which is still plenty, but the credit should be as widespread as possible) and you would also need to wonder whether golf carts qualify as a vehicle in the first place.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 07:20:28 PM »

Councillors, a vote on the following amendment has started:

Amendment L 2:35 by S019 to LC 2.21 Electric Car Chargers & General Encouragement Act

[/quote]

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain
This vote shall last for 24h or until all Councillors have voted
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 07:21:50 PM »

Nay
S019