Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:39:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 128242 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2022, 03:03:13 PM »

*gasp* How dastardly of them!
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2022, 04:46:09 PM »

Are you voting a straight Democratic ticket?

Yes.  Since I changed my identification from I to D in late 2018, I've had a policy of never voting for a Republican in a general election (I do occasionally vote in R primaries).
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2022, 05:00:31 PM »

Yes.  Since I changed my identification from I to D in late 2018, I've had a policy of never voting for a Republican in a general election (I do occasionally vote in R primaries).

So not even for Raffensperger, then? Georgia isn't a state known in recent times for extensive ticket-splitting in any case, so perhaps your sentiment is more widespread than it would seem. If that's the case, Kemp and Raffensperger might win more narrowly than some suspect.

As for me, I'm probably going to be voting a straight Democratic ticket in Colorado (and will definitely be voting for Polis, Bennet, and Griswold), although I am not entirely decided yet about Attorney General or Treasurer, and I do plan on voting for most of the local Republicans running in El Paso County. I did vote in the Republican primary this year to help stop Hanks, Lopez, and Peters from winning their respective races.

Nope.  I did vote in the R primary this year for Raffensperger, Kemp, and as many other non-Trumpy candidates as I could identify.  But I view the party in its current state as a grave danger to American democracy, and I won't enable it by voting for any of its candidates in a general election.  If the party ever purges itself of its dangerous tendencies (an outcome I think is unlikely, but we can always hope) then I would be open to voting for Republicans again.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2022, 08:29:08 AM »

Yes.  Since I changed my identification from I to D in late 2018, I've had a policy of never voting for a Republican in a general election (I do occasionally vote in R primaries).

So not even for Raffensperger, then? Georgia isn't a state known in recent times for extensive ticket-splitting in any case, so perhaps your sentiment is more widespread than it would seem. If that's the case, Kemp and Raffensperger might win more narrowly than some suspect.

As for me, I'm probably going to be voting a straight Democratic ticket in Colorado (and will definitely be voting for Polis, Bennet, and Griswold), although I am not entirely decided yet about Attorney General or Treasurer, and I do plan on voting for most of the local Republicans running in El Paso County. I did vote in the Republican primary this year to help stop Hanks, Lopez, and Peters from winning their respective races.

Nope.  I did vote in the R primary this year for Raffensperger, Kemp, and as many other non-Trumpy candidates as I could identify.  But I view the party in its current state as a grave danger to American democracy, and I won't enable it by voting for any of its candidates in a general election.  If the party ever purges itself of its dangerous tendencies (an outcome I think is unlikely, but we can always hope) then I would be open to voting for Republicans again.

I think it will be a long time before that happens. Trump, it appears to me, will have a lasting influence on the Republican Party and the direction it takes, and it is definitely becoming a more downscale, working-class, non-college-educated party than it was before. But who was the last Republican you voted for? Isakson in 2016?

Good guess.  I also voted for at least one Republican in a local race that year.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2022, 08:38:56 AM »

Nope.  I did vote in the R primary this year for Raffensperger, Kemp, and as many other non-Trumpy candidates as I could identify.  But I view the party in its current state as a grave danger to American democracy, and I won't enable it by voting for any of its candidates in a general election.  If the party ever purges itself of its dangerous tendencies (an outcome I think is unlikely, but we can always hope) then I would be open to voting for Republicans again.

I mean this is a huge fallacy as if you arent even willing to vote for someone like Raffensperger than what incentive do Republicans have of nominating people like Raffensperger.

Also Abrams was an election denier as well so yah

It's voting for the least-bad outcome; I don't see why some of you think that's controversial.  I think it's arguably a more reasonable strategy than tactical voting for a worse candidate in the opposite primary in the hope that they'll make a weaker general election opponent.  My overall preference would be the Democrat, but if a Republican should win then I'd prefer to have Raffensperger in office than his Trump-backed primary opponent.  Since I could influence the latter choice with my vote (and the D primaries here were snoozers) I voted in the R primary for Raff, Kemp, etc. 

Also, I don't understand why this isn't an incentive for the Republicans to run people like Raff; he's almost certain to win in November.  The other crossover voters and I helped the Republicans nominate their best possible GE candidate!
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2022, 02:37:26 PM »

Back to county redistricting: the majority-Dem Cobb County Commission will try to amend the commission district map passed by the General Assembly. The Commission cites the home rule provisions in the state constitution, allowing counties and municipalities to amend legislation pertaining to their specific jurisdiction (a "local bill").

Typically, redistricting for county and city governing bodies (commissions, school boards, etc.) is treated as local legislation and passed in coordination between local officials and the county's General Assembly delegation. However, for the most recent session the General Assembly opted to draw their own maps in a few (largely Dem-leaning) counties like Cobb and Gwinnett.

Under the new maps (and assuming Cobb is not successful in this maneuver) is that Cobb's Dem majority will be left untouched (3-2), but one Dem commissioner (Jerica Richardson) will be drawn out of her seat and another GOP district will be shored up. In Gwinnett, the Dem monopoly (5-0) will give way to a 4-1 majority for at least one or two terms, as one district was redrawn to be more Republican.

If Cobb is successful, the Commission will just pass the map originally proposed by the Dem-controlled General Assembly delegation, which was mostly a least-change map. I don't know if Gwinnett will try something similar, but given the time left before the midterm election, I don't think they will.

I believe the new maps (however they turn out) don't take effect until after this election.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2022, 03:20:40 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2022, 06:18:38 PM »

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution home page (https://www.ajc.com/) currently has a voter registration deadline countdown clock in the corner of the page (tomorrow is the deadline for this year's election).  Nice reminder.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2022, 12:36:37 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2022, 01:02:34 PM by GeorgiaModerate »

Early in-person voting begins today.  The AJC has an early vote tracker up at https://www.ajc.com/politics/early-voting/.

EDIT: Be sure to scroll all the way down the page for demographic breakdowns.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2022, 01:04:13 PM »

Early in-person voting begins today.  The AJC has an early vote tracker up at https://www.ajc.com/politics/early-voting/.

Also, don't forget georgiavotes.com! First batch of early in-person (for today) should show up sometime after 9 PM ET this evening.

Thanks!  Are you going to provide periodic updates again this year of how things look compared to prior years?  (I hope so...)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2022, 10:34:34 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2022, 08:57:13 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2022, 09:32:38 PM »

Adam, do you have the F/M breakdown from the last few cycles like your race breakdown chart above?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2022, 07:56:50 AM »

Non-representative tiny samples and all that, but when my wife, son, and I voted on Monday afternoon I noticed the crowd was predominantly female, I'd guess at least 2/3.  And among young people (only a half dozen or so) they were all women except for my son.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2022, 02:48:01 PM »

From a Georgia Public Broadcasting political reporter who's also a data geek:

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2022, 08:15:33 PM »

How many of these registered Dems are demosaurs who never bothered to change their registration?

Zero.  Georgia does not have party registration.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2022, 08:37:37 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2022, 02:18:51 PM »

Good article, worth a read.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2022, 08:48:31 AM »

Okay, after doing NY gov I will now do GA Gov astrology.

If Kemp wins I will PUKE and VOMIT all over the FLOOR

OK, but you clean it up. Smiley
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2022, 09:39:42 AM »

Trump is probably going to try and take credit for Kemp winning lolz.  What a hack, Kemp should just continue to ignore him.

Yeah, this is just another of Trump's last-minute endorsements of people who were going to win anyway, in order to pad his record and ego.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2022, 09:11:58 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2022, 07:43:58 AM »

Very surprised but very pleased that Georgia could take up instant runoffs

From what I've heard, Georgia election officials are not fans of the current runoff system, to put it mildly.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2022, 01:42:39 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2023, 04:07:56 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2023, 08:48:47 AM »

Review panel: state should NOT take over Fulton County elections

A performance review of Fulton County election operations recommended against a state takeover Friday, finding that the county has made “significant improvement” since the 2020 election year.

“Replacing the board would not be helpful and would in fact hinder the ongoing improvements to Fulton County elections,” states the 19-page report by a three-person panel appointed by the State Election Board.

The review of election operations in Fulton, the most populous county in the state, arose from a provision in Georgia’s 2021 voting law that allowed troubled local election boards to be replaced following an investigation.

Elections in Fulton County, a Democratic stronghold that includes most of the city of Atlanta, have long been criticized by Republicans.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies