How soon is too soon to leave a job (post-college)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:42:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  How soon is too soon to leave a job (post-college)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How soon is too soon to leave a job (post-college)?  (Read 311 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2019, 10:39:50 AM »

In the 6 months I've been in my first post-law school job I've seen 4 people start after me and they are already gone. Now, they had it a bit tougher than I do, but it still just seems like not a good look to leave a job after just a month. I'm happy with the work that I do now. So although I feel like I could probably be doing a little bit better, I feel some obligation to stick this position out for some time.

So I ask: What is the minimum length of time that one should stay at his/her job before moving along for a better offer?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »

For a legit better offer? 2 weeks after letting them know you're leaving

You can feel bad for the people you're leaving behind with a higher work load because you're gone, I would.  You have to measure the tiny amount of inner peace that brings you vs the amount of extra money you'd make at the better gig.  (and also all the other pros and cons of the change, the devil you know, etc)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 01:46:26 PM »

If you got a better offer, always. In 2014/15, I left my old job after eight months for me current one, because it is much better. Never regretted that decision.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 03:39:53 PM »

The average tenure for us is just north of two years. I would like to say you should give it at least a year. Many have left in less than that though - two really talented ones come to mind so I won't blame them for following their passions at least. But if you are at a serious company, give it a year given the resources spent to attract and train you...

A month is a joke even for some random start-up. Even that should be 4-6 months.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 04:26:32 PM »

As on the new cyber age, its best that the Y2K generation go beyond college and get a skilled trade: masters in education, law or medicine. Too many people got bachelor degrees.  That do little to get you into the door of a professional job.

When you go to graduate school, school is designed to get a job, post graduation. As internships, aren't a luxury, they are required to get the certificate.

As I am gonna enter graduate school this Fall
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 01:56:18 PM »

I left my first job out of college after a year. If you have another opportunity secured, there is nothing wrong with that. However, after leaving a job after a year, I think it is important to stay with the next company for at least two years to demonstrate that you aren't a job-hopper.
whale
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 07:48:32 PM »

If there is a good reason, even putting in a resignation letter the day after you start could make sense
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 10:25:54 PM »

If you got a better offer, grab it. 99% of future potential employers don't care that you were at your first place relatively shortly if you explain succinctly that you got a better offer. And 1% remaining you don't want to work for.

On a related note, if you say that in six months you seen 4 other people who started after you already leave, you need to get the hell out of there. Unless this is some mega mega firm employing literally hundreds upon hundreds of lawyers, that is a downright scary, bordering on disastrous turn over rate. You may not have the professional experience yet to tell, but that place sounds like at best a sh**ty place to practice, or at worst a downright sinking ship.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 10:45:08 PM »

On a related note, if you say that in six months you seen 4 other people who started after you already leave, you need to get the hell out of there. Unless this is some mega mega firm employing literally hundreds upon hundreds of lawyers, that is a downright scary, bordering on disastrous turn over rate. You may not have the professional experience yet to tell, but that place sounds like at best a sh**ty place to practice, or at worst a downright sinking ship.

The thing is that there are multiple practice groups. All of these people have cycled through underneath this one partner who apparently is terrible to work for. The rest of us who work under a number of other partners are very content with the work environment. I do appreciate that it is something I have to really look out for, but what I and a number of others deal with is quite different then the group with the high turnover rate deals with.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies