Traveling in your 20s
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:36:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Traveling in your 20s
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Traveling in your 20s  (Read 752 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2019, 01:09:26 PM »
« edited: May 26, 2019, 11:48:07 AM by Fmr Deputy Speaker Spark498 »

So guys I'm trying to travel much more in this decade and already am visiting California on May 30th. Any tips for a first time traveler?

And some other trips I have planned are a roadtrip to FL, and various trips to the West Coast in coming years.

States I would like to visit:

Red = In next 5 years
Blue = Within 10 years
Green = Already been

Summer 2019
NYC, New York - (June 2019)
Boston, Massachusetts - (June 2019)
Baltimore, Maryland - (July 2019)
Washington, D.C. - (July 17 - 19 2019)

Winter 2020

Coconino, Arizona - (December 2019/January 2020)

Summer 2020

Roadtrip to Clearwater, Florida (May 25, 2020 - May 30, 2020)
Denver, Colorado (June 2020)
Calabria, Italy (July 2020)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 01:19:46 PM »

California, in the downtown region has huge pockets of homelessness in San Francisco and Los Angeles.  Stay away from those areas.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »

California, in the downtown region has huge pockets of homelessness in San Francisco and Los Angeles.  Stay away from those areas.

I wasn't thinking of going there but thanks for the heads up.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 01:46:23 PM »

Never forget one simple truth no matter where you go:

You.  Are.  A.  Guest.

If you go to Paris, don't walk up to someone and start loudly asking them something in English; try to address them in French, and they will quickly catch on that you are an American and probably address you back in English, all the while appreciating your effort.

If you are going to the Caribbean, appreciate that they take things slower there and try not to get worked up about things not being on the schedule you're used to.

Heck, if you visit somewhere in the Midwest even, keep in mind that Midwesterners value politeness and courtesy, and don't be overly blunt or pushy; you will stand out from the stereotypes of [insert wherever you are from], and it will provide you with a much better experience.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 02:45:11 PM »

Pack lightly.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 02:54:27 PM »

If anything I've travelled less since I've turned 20. Travelling's expensive, so I won't really be able to do much until I finish grad school in December and get a real job.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »

Oh and apply Greyhound liberally if you can't find a train or a cheap plane ticket.

And travel by night, those are usually the cheapest fares, especially when flying.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 04:54:21 PM »

I think I don't plan on travelling until retirement if I can help it. Definitely don't expect much in your 20s between education and saving for a house.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 05:58:06 PM »

I think I don't plan on travelling until retirement if I can help it. Definitely don't expect much in your 20s between education and saving for a house.

I never got the American obsession with wanting to own a home. I don't know what's so wrong with renting, I don't have any plans to buy a home, at least not in the medium term future.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 06:22:58 PM »

When planning the trip, I always try to think about 3 things:
1.  Plane tickets
2.  Hotels
3.  Car rental.  (If not renting a car, then planning transportation between the airport and the hotel.)

Something I've learned the hard way is always to carry a second form of ID.  (I now have a passport, which I've never actually used, but I always have it at airports.)  Also, having a credit card is useful.

If travelling by plane, try to keep suitcase weight under 50 pounds.  Books weigh a lot, as do winter coats.

I actually pack an empty collapsible suitcase inside the bigger one.  During my stay, I will use one for clean clothes and one for dirty ones.  Then I'll pack the small one back inside the bigger suitcase for the trip home.

If I'm staying at a hotel and I don't want to eat out every meal, I will often buy a box or two of pop tarts before leaving home.  When I get to my destination, I will buy Gatorade (since planes don't allow liquids).  Both items are good because they're cheap, easy, and don't require refrigeration.

My employer once put me up in a hotel, with a minifridge and microwave, for 7 weeks near one of our satellite offices.
Some useful items:
  • Pot holders and oven mitts
  • Some disposable plates and flatware, which I had left over from hosting an event at my house
  • Paper towels
  • Obvious items like a comb, toothpaste, shampoo, and pajamas
  • A swimsuit
  • . . .I bought laundry detergent when I got there.
The one thing I forgot was a can opener, so I had to make a conscious choice to only buy things with pull tabs.
Also, keep in mind that you'll need to be out of your hotel during the day, when the maid comes.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 11:20:42 PM »

I never got the American obsession with wanting to own a home. I don't know what's so wrong with renting, I don't have any plans to buy a home, at least not in the medium term future.

France is exactly in line with US rates of home ownership. Notably, the PIIGS nations are all significantly ahead of both the US and France. There may be statistical reasons for that in how the rate is calculated (adult children living at home are obviously excluded from the ratio) - but it doesn't appear the US is out of line with the rest of the world. That being said, any of my comments are exclusively about the upper class and not the people owning homes that barely touch six figures in value.

If you plan on moving around quite a bit, then yes, home ownership is probably not ideal due to transfer taxes and other upfront payments as well as the risk of price fluctuations if you intend to move between cities with prices that do not fluctuate. In most other circumstances, failure to own real estate is deeply harmful to your long-term success. The sooner you start to build equity, the fewer long-run payments you have to make in the long-run. I consider my "discount factor" to be extremely low, so future cost savings are deeply impactful.

Further, American tax law caters excessively to homeowners. This is how a seemingly progressive move like limitations on SALT deductions causes such an uproar for all elite across the political spectrum and causes a complete revolt. Homeowners yield enormous power in this country and force the laws to be bent towards them. You have to play their game. I can't comment on how this compares to European tax laws. I believe a few countries have an imputed rental income (savings) tax that very few people end up paying because it is offset by other costs, so I don't think policy that favorable but I can't paint a dozen countries broadly. Regardless, home ownership is an unnecessarily subsidized activity in the US given all the deductions (and in the aftermath of the financial crisis, tax credits) available to home owners, and it is most wise to take all of this free money.

Finally, renting comes with severe limitations. My city is hosting X Convention that is drawing in people paying thousands for a week of housing. But my landlord prohibits limited leasing arrangements (Air BnB) so I can't benefit. Or even in the case of your own living standards - the lighting in my dining area is off-center, but I can't really cut a hole in the ceiling because I don't own it. And one of the most important - home ownership particularly near the city center allows my children to stay at home rent-free at little opportunity cost to me. They can save what, $20k per year? On top of income they should already be saving! Three years at home and they will have built up a nest egg allowing them to buy a very lavish home by their mid-20s! I wish that were an opportunity I was afforded!

And with that primary house paid off even sooner, that's when we can start talking about additional real estate opportunities.

No doubt homeownership comes with repair costs, etc., but given the subsidies, long-term cost-savings for both owner and heirs, incredible potential income streams and likely capital gains, there is little reason to write it off in the States.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 04:38:17 PM »

It is actually really easy to save money and travel in your 20s, as long as you're proactive. Take public transportation or walk as much as possible, meal prep and focus on healthy foods that you can buy in volume (like chicken, beans, rice), if you eat out, eat at budget restaurants primarily, when you go out at night, limit the amount of drinks you buy, etc. Keep a spreadsheet of your budget or utilize a budget planning application so you know exactly what you can afford at any given time. Set aside money immediately upon receiving your paychecks, by either having direct deposit into a 401k or another type of investment account.

Your travel needs will change depending on where you're traveling. In Europe, for example, it's cheaper to fly some places than it is to take the train there.  If you're thorough in your planning and you'll be fine.

While you're out going to a place, scout ahead to see where the best spots are to meet people and get to know an area. Lots of pre-meetups happen now via Reddit and other social media -- these are extremely helpful for getting a genuine feel for where you're going (and helps stave off the loneliness of traveling alone if you are).

And one of the most important - home ownership particularly near the city center allows my children to stay at home rent-free at little opportunity cost to me. They can save what, $20k per year? On top of income they should already be saving! Three years at home and they will have built up a nest egg allowing them to buy a very lavish home by their mid-20s! I wish that were an opportunity I was afforded!

Doesn't this require the children to actually want to stay at home (and in the same city)?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2019, 04:46:54 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

And one of the most important - home ownership particularly near the city center allows my children to stay at home rent-free at little opportunity cost to me. They can save what, $20k per year? On top of income they should already be saving! Three years at home and they will have built up a nest egg allowing them to buy a very lavish home by their mid-20s! I wish that were an opportunity I was afforded!

Doesn't this require the children to actually want to stay at home (and in the same city)?

What child would not want to continue living rent free at a happy home for a small period in a city where they are de facto royalty? Certainly not an Italian one. My boys won't be able to live without my cooking.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »

Travel map will be posted soon...
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2019, 02:10:43 PM by Santander »

If travelling by plane, try to keep suitcase weight under 50 pounds.  Books weigh a lot, as do winter coats.

If I'm staying at a hotel and I don't want to eat out every meal, I will often buy a box or two of pop tarts before leaving home.  When I get to my destination, I will buy Gatorade (since planes don't allow liquids).  Both items are good because they're cheap, easy, and don't require refrigeration.

I travel 45+ weeks a year for business and almost every single weekend (plus 3 weeks a year) for leisure. This is some of the worst "advice" I've ever seen. Traveling is already a physically extremely unhealthy activity, so why the hell would you make it even worse eating goddamn pop tarts and Gatorade? Plus, why do you need to pack the pop tarts? If you don't want to eat out, book a Residence Inn-type place that's not in a food desert and cook. If you don't know how to cook, learn first, and then worry about travel. First things first. I've never even come close to having a 50 lb suitcase. Why in the world would you need to pack more than 1 or 2 books?!

And travel by night, those are usually the cheapest fares, especially when flying.
Not when flying across the continent on Sun/Mon/Thu/Fri. The SFO/LAX-NYC regular commuter crowd numbers in the thousands, and they all fly at night. (eastbound)

The best advice for leisure travel that I could give is this:
  • Make a copy of your passport if you're abroad. Carry a scan/photo of it on your phone, too. Know where the nearest US embassy/consulate is.
  • Get a passport if you don't have one. Even if you don't have any plans to use it.
  • Inform at least 2-3 people of your whereabouts.
  • Never check luggage unless you have to - one 22" (max carry-on) should last you at least a week.
  • Don't fly budget carriers unless it's the only option - full-service carriers are cheap in North America, Europe, and Asia.
  • A small backpack is the best bag to carry around town at your destination. Preferably a style that doesn't scream tourist. Don't try to be too cool with some chic but less comfortable bag, and don't look like an idiot carrying around a giant camping bag in the middle of the city.
  • Eat out, and enjoy the local food. It's one of the best parts of traveling. There are good spots for any budget in most cities. The low-cost places are often among the most delicious and memorable.
  • Don't try to do everything, or schedule too many activities. It's a vacation, go at a leisurely pace.
  • Similarly, don't stress out too much about unexpected expenses or little nickle and dime type of things. It's not worth it.
  • Travelpro is the best value luggage if you're poor/cheap/don't travel much. There is no excuse for getting some total dogsh**t suitcase that'll break after a couple uses. Anything higher-end than B&R/Tumi tier (Rimowa, LV, etc.) draws too much attention.
  • Don't dress like a slob.
  • Never write your address on your luggage - surname and phone number/email is fine.
  • Golf is the best travel sport. Golf travel can get addictive and expensive, though. Beware.
  • There's nothing better than traveling to meet a friend or family member for a day or two, or even dinner. Travel is not about collecting passport stamps or visiting tourist attractions - the best part about travel is making the world smaller to you.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 06:06:58 PM »

If travelling by plane, try to keep suitcase weight under 50 pounds.  Books weigh a lot, as do winter coats.

If I'm staying at a hotel and I don't want to eat out every meal, I will often buy a box or two of pop tarts before leaving home.  When I get to my destination, I will buy Gatorade (since planes don't allow liquids).  Both items are good because they're cheap, easy, and don't require refrigeration.

I travel 45+ weeks a year for business and almost every single weekend (plus 3 weeks a year) for leisure. This is some of the worst "advice" I've ever seen. Traveling is already a physically extremely unhealthy activity, so why the hell would you make it even worse eating goddamn pop tarts and Gatorade? Plus, why do you need to pack the pop tarts? If you don't want to eat out, book a Residence Inn-type place that's not in a food desert and cook. If you don't know how to cook, learn first, and then worry about travel. First things first. I've never even come close to having a 50 lb suitcase. Why in the world would you need to pack more than 1 or 2 books?!

To be fair, a lot of this comes from my experience of one particular destination.

I was in a downtown area without a car.  I was in a cheap hotel--neighboring hotels were over $200 per night--which didn't serve breakfast.  There were some places to eat within walking distance--a Macaroni Grille, a greasy-spoon diner, etc., but they weren't that appealing on a day-in, day-out basis, and there was no mini-fridge for leftovers.  There was no grocery store within walking distance, but there was an old-fashioned drug store a fraction of the size of a typical Walgreen's; that was where I bought the Gatorade.

True, I could have spent a lot more money to stay in a nicer hotel, which served meals.

Or I could have spent the money not to be in a "food desert", either by paying for taxis or by renting a car and commuting daily from the suburbs in the hopes of finding a cheap parking lot.

If I traveled a lot, I might treat travelling as a lifestyle that required healthy eating, but I travel maybe twice a year.  Not being careless with money is more important to me than trying not to be unhealthy for what amounts to <5% of my life.

As for the book thing, there are just some evenings when this introvert likes shutting myself up in my hotel room.  What can I say?  I like books.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 04:58:40 PM »

How silly. Traveling at retirement means dealing with health issues, which takes away half the fun.

Also, use of the English word for it? Really? What, want some crumpets, biscuits, and Earl Grey to go with that?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 05:36:17 PM »

How silly. Traveling at retirement means dealing with health issues, which takes away half the fun.

Also, use of the English word for it? Really? What, want some crumpets, biscuits, and Earl Grey to go with that?

Travel and exercise (particularly running) are two of the things that most annoy me. Throw in recommending useless television series and you got the trifecta of the boring millennial professional. Experience, my foot - they are doing it to brag about to their friends. I'll take my confidence in material possessions. Please!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 06:45:21 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2019, 07:10:24 AM by muon2 »

I spent most of my 20's in grad school in MA, and still had a lot of time to travel. I kept costs down by usually staying with friends or family. I mostly could only afford to fly when it was for a meeting related to school and they paid. Still trains, buses, and trips with friends who had cars took me to all of the major metros of the Northeast as well as to northern New England, Upstate NY, and the Shenandoah valley. I even did a few road trips back to the Midwest.

It's the Atlas so here's a map of my travels from 1979-1988. Red and pink are counties new to me that decade. Red and blue are counties I slept in. CO, TX and St Louis are actually just after I turned 30 in 1988, but I do my maps by calendar year.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 01:07:39 PM »

If I traveled a lot, I might treat travelling as a lifestyle that required healthy eating, but I travel maybe twice a year.  Not being careless with money is more important to me than trying not to be unhealthy for what amounts to <5% of my life.

If you don't travel much, pinching pennies while traveling seems like a unnecessarily stressful exercise.
We all like a good deal and like to stretch our dollars, I get it. I used to seek out Bank of America-affiliated ATMs so that I could save a few bucks when traveling. But if you only go away a couple times a year, it's just not worth hassling to save a few bucks here and there. It's never been cheaper or more convenient to travel - just go and enjoy.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »

Probably will be visiting New York and Massachusetts over the summer.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2019, 10:20:38 PM »

Travel and exercise (particularly running) are two of the things that most annoy me. Throw in recommending useless television series and you got the trifecta of the boring millennial professional. Experience, my foot - they are doing it to brag about to their friends. I'll take my confidence in material possessions. Please!

Your loss. But you limit yourself of what material possessions you could have if you remain all sedentary and sh*(.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2019, 10:32:25 PM »

Zurich, Dresden, London, Lisbon, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Denpasar, Taipei coming up in June. Smiley

I have a great life.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 01:46:20 AM »

Your loss. But you limit yourself of what material possessions you could have if you remain all sedentary and sh*(.

It's funny how refusing to ever take a ride share or even mass transportation allows me to save money by both not having a monthly gym membership and not paying for any transportation. God gave me two legs to move. While taking my several mile walks, anyone who chooses to accompany (usually those "active" millennials I describe) are usually unable to keep up. Lotta good the useless workout in atypical conditions does for them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies