When will Paul Ryan run for POTUS?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:31:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  When will Paul Ryan run for POTUS?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: I doubt his political career is over yet.

2036 or later

He'll never run

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: When will Paul Ryan run for POTUS?  (Read 1450 times)
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2019, 11:34:51 PM »
« edited: May 21, 2019, 11:43:06 PM by Glowfish »

I'm voting 2028

Edit: can someone please move this to trends?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:10:57 AM »

He came close in 2012, and ran with unpopular Romney as Veep, who won't become the GOP nominee for Prez
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »

Never.  Becoming SOTH invariably torpedoes any credible presidential aspirations, and Ryan knew that when he took the job.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 11:53:21 PM »

Never.  Becoming SOTH invariably torpedoes any credible presidential aspirations, and Ryan knew that when he took the job.

Sometimes I wonder if that would still be the case if Henry Clay had won any of his multiple failed campaigns. I know Polk won, but he was Speaker for a much shorter time and to this day he is the only Speaker to become president. Seems strange that the person who’s second-in-line to the presidency and arguably the second-most powerful person in the government is so rarely considered for the job. I guess they take a lot of flak nationally (certainly Pelosi has), but this has been the case since long before our current age of national polarization and mass media. It almost seems like tradition at this point that SOTH just never runs for president. And maybe those who take the job are less likely to have presidential aspirations, and that’s either a cause or an effect of said tradition.

In any case I think the reason Ryan will never run has less to do with having been Speaker and more to do with the fact that there’s a lot more money and a lot less orange ass-kissing involved in the private sector. Will be much easier for him to live out his Randian fantasies there.
timewalker102
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 12:36:55 AM »

He'll probably become Wisconsin Senator in 2022 and then run in 2024 or 2028
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »

Never.  Becoming SOTH invariably torpedoes any credible presidential aspirations, and Ryan knew that when he took the job.

Sometimes I wonder if that would still be the case if Henry Clay had won any of his multiple failed campaigns. I know Polk won, but he was Speaker for a much shorter time and to this day he is the only Speaker to become president. Seems strange that the person who’s second-in-line to the presidency and arguably the second-most powerful person in the government is so rarely considered for the job. I guess they take a lot of flak nationally (certainly Pelosi has), but this has been the case since long before our current age of national polarization and mass media. It almost seems like tradition at this point that SOTH just never runs for president. And maybe those who take the job are less likely to have presidential aspirations, and that’s either a cause or an effect of said tradition.

The last Speaker, I believe, to make a presidential run was John Nance Garner in 1932. Until that it wasn't really that uncommon for them to run, just to name Champ Clark.
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 08:07:21 PM »

The last Speaker, I believe, to make a presidential run was John Nance Garner in 1932. Until that it wasn't really that uncommon for them to run, just to name Champ Clark.
What about Gingrich and Gephardt?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:08:21 PM »

What about Gingrich and Gephardt?

I've omitted Gingrich because he ran after his Speakership, but you're right, given Ryan is already out of that post.

Gephardt was the Majority/Minority Leader, never a Speaker.
Sounds
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »

He could pull a Newt Gingrich and run over a decade after leaving the House
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies